Cool Older mini SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this while waiting in line at the recycling depot. Cool little SUV from the 90s (I think). I wouldn't want to be in a crash with it, but in great shape for the age. Looks like the owner takes pride in it.

Those old Suzuki Samurais were hip back in the day. But most people who bought those didn't take them off-road.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Those old Suzuki Samurais were hip back in the day. But most people who bought those didn't take them off-road.

^^That isn't a Suzuki Samurai^^

This is:
645f01e7c124f2d43270fac6847e0a81.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Jimny

"An unfavorable 1988 review in Consumer Reports magazine said the Samurai was unsafe and prone to rollovers.

In 1996, after investigating the CU's claims, Suzuki of North America sued the magazine's publisher, Consumers Union (CU), for libel. The suit resulted in an inconclusive settlement. CU agreed that it "never intended to imply that the Samurai easily rolls over in routine driving conditions."

CU and Suzuki made a joint statement, saying, "CU and Suzuki disagree with respect to the validity" of CU's tests and that "Suzuki disputes the validity" of the tests, while "CU stands by its test protocol and findings."
Thus...... all models that came after are bigger, wider, and "less tippy"?

Chevy/Geo Trackers were all over the place at one time. 2dr ragtops, 2dr hardtops and 4dr hardtops. I never owned one, but based on owner's I knew, these things help up pretty well. The one pic'd above looks like a custom job or a special Canadian addition perhaps? IIRC, these were made in Canada.

Chevy/Geo Tracker were the rebadged Suzuki Samurai.

Great little vehicles. Some people didn’t understand that you cannot drive a vehicle like this the same way you drove a sedan.

Yah my BIL had a Tracker. CJ5-like only lighter. Tippy. Surprised me when I drove it. Rick used to commute to Boston with it. And it made a great beach buggy. It did a lotta stuff OK.
grin2.gif

Those are the poor man's Jeep or side-by-side around here - all of them are beat up, panted with satin paint (camo or flat black) and I don't even want to know how many ways they'd fail a safety inspection.

I'd rather have a Samurai.
laugh.gif

[censored] that thing is clean. I don't know how they salt the roads up there but I find it hard to believe that that has been an Ontario vehicle it's entire life. It looks good without the external spare, and those late 80s-mid 90s body side graphics are the coolest thing ever.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
"Dang" that thing is clean. I don't know how they salt the roads up there but I find it hard to believe that that has been an Ontario vehicle it's entire life. It looks good without the external spare, and those late 80s-mid 90s body side graphics are the coolest thing ever.

They salt pretty heavily on main roads. Salted on Thursday with the drop in temps to -19 C. Side and residential roads they sand so most are ice covered December to March.
Noticed a touch of rust on the seam where the rear bumper meets the rear rocker panel, just left of the tail light. I thinks its been painted with rust repair at least once in its life.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
GMC Tracker is a Canadian market version according to Wikipedia.. apparently they didn't have Geo up there.

They also called the Geo Metro the Pontiac Firefly.

The rear bumper on this one looks a little modded maybe for approach angles.

These were cute little things.
A few of the women at work had these twenty years ago (they were chick cars) with two using them on 25+ mile commutes.
They seemed to hold up well and didn't rust too badly.
The ragtop was the one to have although this tin-top looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back