cooking oil in the crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
I can't believe popular boating lakes aren't just a big oil slick...

cool.gif
Studies show the oil discharged into lakes and rivers from 2-stroke engines rapidly spreads out to a thin film and actually evaporates pretty quickly.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
I can't believe popular boating lakes aren't just a big oil slick...

cool.gif
Studies show the oil discharged into lakes and rivers from 2-stroke engines rapidly spreads out to a thin film and actually evaporates pretty quickly.

Evaporates? Since when does oil evaporate?
confused.gif
I'm not saying I care, but I only idled my motor for a few minutes in the barrel...and there was easily 3 ounces of nasty sticky goop floating around.

Undummy, THAT IS WHAT I am talking about! Thank you for the links. The reason why we can't go immediately to the seed btw, is because the economy as we know it would implode. However, the consumer is king and if people start demanding it, companies will produced it...Capitalism...gotta love it.

regards
r.

Hee-hee - how's this for Topical reading in this week's Lube Report? As far as I'm concerned bring on the new bio-lubes and fuels. The arrogant, manipulative, oil Sheiks can crawl back in their Bedouin tents and suck on sand-covered tar balls for a change.

[ December 30, 2003, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

This is a little of topic, but it seems that canola oil is in just about every food you eat nowadays. For those with health concerns, it's getting hard to avoid. I suspect that the producers of this rapeseed oil are cleverly supplanting the market with this cheap substitute, not just in food but in machinery.

What? Canola oil is not only one of the least saturated fats, it's also very low in transfatty acids. It's because of awareness of health concerns that Canola is in such widespread use these days.

quote:

oil Sheiks can crawl back in their Bedouin tents and suck on sand-covered tar balls for a change.

As much as I wouldn't mind toppling the House of Saud ...I doubt that there's enough tillable earth available to produce enough agro-energy to replace the stuff that's already sitting there in the ground.

The good part is that they seem willing to allow the world to suck their supply dry at an unthrottled rate. So while we sit on some very big coal reserves and are developing alternative energy supplies ...they can throw their wild party ..just like Japan did when they sucked up most of our middle class jobs ...for a while. Sooner or later ...the party is over
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
What? Canola oil is not only one of the least saturated fats, it's also very low in transfatty acids. It's because of awareness of health concerns that Canola is in such widespread use these days.

Ah, but that's the hook!
Here is some factual data on the wrong TYPE of transfatty acids and the associated health risks of rapeseed oil. This may seem like the X-Files, but I know at least 20 solid citizens who live by this.

http://www.breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htm

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:
Snip....
Here is some factual data
http://www.breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htmsnip.... [/QB]

Some of that ''factual data'' is confusing at best, and perhaps garbled. Since it wasn't widely available, or at least cheap, in the US back in the 70's, I never actually worked with Canola oil. Yes it is highly unsaturated, and has the same longer chain fatty acids as fish oil. Trans fatty acids are rare in natural oils. It is accepted, with good science backing it, that saturated fats are worse for us than natural unsaturated fats. Most harmful of all are the partially hydrogenated fats. Unsaturated hydrocarbons contain carbon to carbon double bonds, just like the AO's that are polymerized into synthetic oil. You can open them and add 2 hydrogens to each. This artificial process can leave trans double bonds if not complete. Only partially hydrogenated fats have the trans fatty acids. Canola oil is not necessarily partially hydrogenated. If you want to protect your health, pay more attention to the hydrogenation, than the type of oil.

That whole link reeks of junk science. Give no credibility to anything with the anti genetic modified fear mongering. For equal time, see www.junkscience.com/

@Labman

Your point is well taken! I have not yet completely formed a conclusion to this subject, on either the engine or the food uses.
However, I do recognize the economy as well as the environmental compliance issues, make this oil very attractive to governments as well as business. This is very bad atmosphere from which to get research grant money. Actually, there will be much pressure to "prove" rapeseed as viable for both combustion engines as well as a food oil.
The site I pointed to was a general information site, and not a research journal. However research both for and against rapeseed does exist.
The question is whom to believe.

Well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. I intend on procuring some of this stuff...I am leaning towards the canola based, and put it in my old pontiac 350. The logic is, for 3000 miles it can't be worse than using super-tech. Although I would probably go 1000 change it out, go 2000 then uoa and work my way up from there. If nothing else it should get rid of some of that 32 year old sludge
grin.gif
Of course, I can't find any of it anywhere yet
frown.gif

The stability of these unsaturated oils is completely dependent on antioxidant additives. I am sure some engine is going to be destroyed when its unsaturated oil solidifies. Let you engine overheat, or push the OCI, and you are asking for trouble.

I would like to see less dependence on foreign oil, and prosperity in our farm lands. The vegetable oils could be part of the solution as diesel fuel and 2 cycle oil where it is quickly consumed. As a 4 cycle lube, it is just a plain dumb idea.

Foreign oil dependence reduction and eviromentally friendly...just icing bud, I'm looking at it cause its got a vi around 200. The oxidation is a concern...doing my homework on it though. Well see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back