Convincing 10W over 5W Cold-Start Argument...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all. I am new to the forum,yet I have read A LOT of the posts here by various posters and A.E. Haas in particular. In Hass' Motor Oil lessons 101 thru 201 http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/aehaas/ his general opinion is overall thinner viscosities are what cars will thrive on - always looking to lower that cold start viscosity and even the hot engine temp viscosity. That may all valid and functional, yet I am very intrigued by the first hand accounts of an intelligent poster named Beelzebob, whom I found on a Google search within a Cadillac forum. His insights of 5W (or even 0W) vs 10W are very interesting and well-grounded yet quite counter to A.E. Hass' contentions. Please have a read and tell me what you think...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: "There is little to no advantage cold with the 5W30 oil" Are you kidding? Maybe when I said "cold start" you thought I meant that the the car had been sitting over a few hours reguardless of outside temperature. What I'm saying is that a 5W30 oil is better for colder climates. 5W30 flows much faster to vital areas of an engine when its 0 - 10 F (current temperatures where I live) then a 10W30 ever could. Just compare the pour points of a conventional 5W30 to a 10W30. Or just stick a bottle of 5W30 and 10W30 outside in the snow over night (like when its 0 - 10 F) and then compare how each oil flows.

Beelzebob: Actually, I have done all of what you suggest...and I have done it at temps down to -40 in our cold weather testing.

Granted, the 5W30 will flow a little quicker....but overall not enough to make a difference. Don't be mislead by the oil marketing and the scare stories of "cold starts ruining your engine" and the "engine running dry until oil gets to it". There is residual oil in all the bearings and at all the interfaces where oil is required that stays there for days/weeks. The bearings on the rods and crank mains do not require oil pressure to function. A hydrodynamic bearing makes it's own pressure as the load move the journal around inside the bearing...much like an eccentric and the rotation of the journal shearing the oil and creating the oil pressure inside the bearing that supports the load. The bearing will run for minutes at light load with just the residual oil in it.

The only real test here is to put a very accurate, non-damped oil pressure gauge on the engine with a 3/8 copper line to it so it is RESPONSIVE and do cold starts. The oil pressure comes up so quick with either a 5W30 or the 10W30 that there is practically no difference...and...practically speaking, as far a the bearing is concerned, there is little or no difference to the engine.

There are two things that you have to consider. The engine is a series of internal oil leaks that the oil pump pumps oil to....the amount of "leakage" at all the bearings and such is what causes the loss of oil pressure. The pressure is determined, then, by the oil pump capacity (or what it is pumping) and the "leaks" on the engine end. The 5 weight oil will pump a little quicker but more of it is required as the "leaks" will let more 5 thru than 10. The 10 weight oil pumps up a little slower...but...there is not much of it required to build and maintain oil pressure as , for the same "leaks", less 10 weight will go thru the sytem. So...the 10W30 is not nearly as "bad" as you think.

Your temps of 0 are not bad. Our cold start testing is to start after an overnight soak of -20F and immediately go to 5000 RPM to check the oil pressure control valve agianst overpressurization of the sytem... Test engines go thru hundreds of cycles of this without a lube problem.

I have seen engine bearings from engines cold started on an abusive driving schedule in Kapuskasing, Ontario (-40 regularily all winter long at night) and there is no discernable difference between the 10W30 and the 5W30 oils. The factors that the automotive engine engineers consider with the winter oil recommendations is the cranking speed improvement with the 5W30 and the fuel economy improvement with the 5W30. Period.

Last edited:
so if he repeatedly says the 5-30 does indeed have a small advantage, to 10-30 why is he so stuck on 10-30, if you care enough to talk so passionately about oil and cold start ability. Why not run the oil that he admitted is a little better ???
If you don't care about what is in your engine that much go buy the cheapest dollar store oil and worry less. If you are anal enough to care about your engine and want that little advantage in lubrication abilities for your specific weather conditions (cold), why not run a 5-30 ?

by the way fuel economy improvement with 5-30 ? uh OK are we confused about what the 5 vs 10 rating is and what the 30 rating is I think he needs to study up on viscosity improvers, if we are talking economy improvements cafe influenced . We would be talking 20 weights....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dupree
so if he repeatedly says the 5-30 does indeed have a small advantage, to 10-30 why is he so stuck on 10-30?

You need to read Beelzebob's post more carefully he gives his reasoning for this. Besides the slightly better high-temp protection (given less VI on 10W30 than 5W30) he states:

"The only real test here is to put a very accurate, non-damped oil pressure gauge on the engine with a 3/8 copper line to it so it is RESPONSIVE and do cold starts. The oil pressure comes up so quick with either a 5W30 or the 10W30 that there is practically no difference...and...practically speaking, as far a the bearing is concerned, there is little or no difference to the engine.

There are two things that you have to consider. The engine is a series of internal oil leaks that the oil pump pumps oil to....the amount of "leakage" at all the bearings and such is what causes the loss of oil pressure. The pressure is determined, then, by the oil pump capacity (or what it is pumping) and the "leaks" on the engine end. The 5 weight oil will pump a little quicker but more of it is required as the "leaks" will let more 5 thru than 10. The 10 weight oil pumps up a little slower...but...there is not much of it required to build and maintain oil pressure as , for the same "leaks", less 10 weight will go thru the sytem."

Oh man.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: Gatsby
I have seen engine bearings from engines cold started on an abusive driving schedule in Kapuskasing, Ontario (-40 regularily all winter long at night) and there is no discernable difference between the 10W30 and the 5W30 oils.

He saw no difference, because BOTH were frozen. Valvoline white bottle 5W30 has a pp around -38*F. Even that would be jelly. Most dino 5 and 10 weights have a pp around -20 to -30*F. Somebody is fibbn'

So let me get this straight you came asking for our opinion then critic it. If this guy is your oil hero do yourself a favor and ask the oil king what you should use and don't worry about discussing it here. We need no more petty arguments here....

Thanks, Stevie and Speedy!

Btw, all, I'm not saying either contention is neccessarily the most accurate. I just wanted to put this out into the best oil forum on the internet and see the various opinions and what would be made of it. I have no strong bias either way at this point, so I am going to just sit back and try to learn more...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Oh man.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: Gatsby
I have seen engine bearings from engines cold started on an abusive driving schedule in Kapuskasing, Ontario (-40 regularily all winter long at night) and there is no discernable difference between the 10W30 and the 5W30 oils.

He saw no difference, because BOTH were frozen. Valvoline white bottle 5W30 has a pp around -38*F. Even that would be jelly. Most dino 5 and 10 weights have a pp around -20 to -30*F. Somebody is fibbn'

+1 liar liar. I too am sick of falsehoods hiddden as anecdotes.

Last edited:
Food for thought:

BMW recommends not exceeding 4,000 rpm until my car's oil is at least 60C. It takes about 10 minutes of driving at 20C in the summer to get the oil up to 60C. I am assuming this warning is for good reason (potential engine damage). All the oils that meet BMW's specs for my car are full synthetic 0W30 or 5W30 or 0W40 or 5W40 with very low pour points.

Some newer BMW's even have a moving redline that starts at 4,000 rpm and increases as the oil comes up to temperature.

Aehaas has also given this as a reason for using thin oils - he likes to drive fairly aggressively before the engine is fully warmed up. By running 0W20 he can run safely high revs on cool oil.

I live in the cold frozen north and all I can say is I'll take the 5 weight minor knock and rattle at startup over the 10 weight agonizing wait for the knock and rattle to quit.

Anyone that lives in the frozen north don't need no high falouten internet guru to tell them which oil is better for cold starts. Period.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
I live in the cold frozen north and all I can say is I'll take the 5 weight minor knock and rattle at startup over the 10 weight agonizing wait for the knock and rattle to quit.

Anyone that lives in the frozen north don't need no high falouten internet guru to tell them which oil is better for cold starts. Period.

exactly I would love your oil expert to come start is car after it has sat overnight in -30 well see if there is little difference.

I tend to buy the argument that 10 weight protects with less flow that with a 5 weight. Thus, making less difference in wear. However, there are some other factors. The dreaded bypass. However little of it there is, it has to be less with the 5 weight. Easier starts are easier on starter, batteries, and maybe alternators. Maybe even the difference between driving off and calling the AAA. It can be difficult to notice the lack of problems.

When I bought my 92 Grand AM, it took me a year or 2 before I could bring myself to put 5 weight oil in it. Come on, 5 weight in a 4 cylinder producing 180 horsepower? Eventually I yielded to the OM. I then defied the OM for my 77 truck and put 5W-30 in it with good results, at least the last 15 years.

I am surprised that you are talking about bearings. The extensive testing that GM/Mobil/others published showed clearly that:

Bearings were adequately lubricated by residual oil. Actually they do not need pressure for a considerable amount of time after startup.

Cylinder walls are just the opposite. The rings are scrapping the walls dry. Hot and thin oil flys off the bearing/big end almost like a shower when warm and the cylinder wall is very well lubricated when hot.

When cold, only a drop or two flys off - (may go down or sideways,up into the piston center, etc)every so many seconds and cylinder wear is greatly increased. Their numbers were something lilke the first 3 miles of a 0 degree start were the same wear as 100 miles of hot driving.

They published this stuff widely around 1985, when they
switched their recommendation from 10Wxxx to 5WXXX
When Ford decided to not drill the squirter holes (1974 to 1977) in the big end of the rods they were stunned by the huge number of failures they had, severe piston scuffing/cylinder wall wear. This problem only happened in the northern states, not the south. Another huge extended warranty expense - I personally know of 4 cars (2 4 cyls, one 6 cyl and one Lincoln Continental!) that received the factory rebuild - with the holes drilled in the new rods!

Starting: Cold starting is mostly a temperature of oil viscosity: When you oil viscosity reaches about 30,000 CCS most motors no longer start. They crank and pop, but do not make enough power to overcome viscous drag.

Each reduction in viscosity steps (20WXX, 15Wxx, 10Wxx, 5Wxx, 0Wxx_ lowers the CCS number about 9 degrees F. Look up any manufacturers Product data sheets, you can quickly verify these facts.

Like many, I have eliminated 20W50, 10W40, etc from my cars, and have watched engine life increase from worn out at 150 K miles, to running like new at 300 K miles.

Not much there to indicate that the manufacturers are wrong with their recommendations.

boy, there are a couple of topics here that will get some derision and thick/thin sure is one of them.

i've found that when a brand has both a 5w-30 and a 10w-30 that the 5w-30's actually tend to run a bit thicker at temp than the 10w's. case in point:

Castrol GTX

Last edited:
"The factors that the automotive engine engineers consider with the winter oil recommendations is the cranking speed improvement with the 5W30"

Cranking speed has to be a certain rpm for an engine to fire. Battery and starter like to see the engine fire asap. 5w wins in arctic winters.

This is a reason GM switched to 5W30 from 10W30 in the Series III 3800 V6. They engineers cited something about the starter ... which exactly eludes me right now. Although the climatology of Australia is different what bugs me is the heard of us down there of 60W oil in this same engine. I know we have CAFE here, but most of us would be scared cra****less to run a 60W in our engine. The again Dr. Haas has the intellectual cojones to run 20W instead of a Helix 60W in wife's Ferrari-Lambo-some supercar.

Hi,
there are many things that Engineers must consider - many are related. A major "issue" today is the correct functioning of the various "electric-hydraulic operators" that make up the technology we now consider as normal - and we expect it all to operate seamlessly

It is interesting to note that from 1992 until the present Porsche have gone from 5W to 0W as their preference. This followed progressive moves from 20W to 15W and 10W over the period from 1978 until 1992

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back