Convincing 10W over 5W Cold-Start Argument...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My
49.gif

Not convinced. Sticking with my 5w30 and 0w30.

I think I read once that Mobil 1 10w30 syn pour point was at -57, amsoil -58f and PP -34F. So I think for extreme cold Ie Alaska or north Canada I would go with Mobil or Amsoil.

Last edited:
The difference between a 10W oil and a 5W oil may not be convincing enough, the difference between a 10W and a 0W is.
Cold start argument solved IMO.

Btw.. when people say "Go Thin" I alway's thought they were talking about operating temp viscosity, not cold start viscosity.

Originally Posted By: y2k345
I think I read once that Mobil 1 10w30 syn pour point was at -57, amsoil -58f and PP -34F. So I think for extreme cold Ie Alaska or north Canada I would go with Mobil or Amsoil.

Pour point doesn't mean much.

Ya pour point isn't that important.

You're better off looking at MRV viscosity.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I am lazy.
Everything but the Truck gets 10W30, The Truck gets 10W40. I tow the fifth wheel with it.
Where I live in Washington state I don't think I have never seen it go below 10 F.

Agree, here in the good ole Washington state 10w-30 is all ya need, been using it for 40 years, even in winter which can get cold at times, it works.

Originally Posted By: SpitfireS

Btw.. when people say "Go Thin" I alway's thought they were talking about operating temp viscosity, not cold start viscosity.

Many/most times they are, but in this thread the subject is about cold starting.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Of course not.
If you graph out the kinematic viscosity (Widman's Graph) at no point is the 5W-50 as light.
In 'real world' operation just take a look at the 40C vis of the two oils, that will tell you how close any to oils are to temps down to at least -15C.
Heck even a 0W-40 is heaver than a syn 5W-30 unless it is very cold; say -30C. At all temps above about that the 5W-30 is lighter.

I agree that a 5W-50 will be thicker than a 5W-30. BUT, at -30, some 5W-50's and 5W-30 dino's have the same cranking viscosity, or close.

Let's say you have a 5W-50 syn with a CCS of 5800cst @-30C; and a dino 5W-30 with a CCS of 5800cst @-30. Will they both crank over at -25C or -30C with the exact same ease?

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I think we would all agree that there are engineering trade offs when choosing an engine oil. There is no question that heavier oils have advantages as do thinner ones. We also have to remember that car manufactures choose an oil that is adequate in a very broad range of temps. Case in point is GMs change from 10w30 to 5w30. I promise that guys in florida are not burning out starters, or suffering from excess cold startup wear from using 10w30 vs 5w30. If you were in Maine, the story could be different. I guess the question really is not what is adequate, but what is the best. If you live in a warm climate and use 5w30, are you better off than if you use a 10w30 or even a 15w40.

Thank you! 10-30 works GREAT in TX!

Food for thought.

IF you assume a viscosity and density relationship that is direct and thus decrease density or viscosity (in this case visc.) you will DECREASE oil pressure at the end-point of the oiling system.

However and this is key, you will INCREASE the effective flow rate of the oiling system.

Perhaps then, it is not an issue of lubrication but an issue of effective internal pressure on sealing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I have to agree with the guy for the most part. In Ontario I would likely use a 5w or 0w. But for most of us that have winters that barely go below freezing you'll never see the difference between a 5w-30 and a 10w-30.

I have my Redline 5w-30 sitting here ready to go in. I'm past my OCI just to wait until it gets a little colder to put it in. I'm running 10w-30 now. With Redline you lose nothing up top but gain a little cold flow. Will it make a difference in my climate? No way but it won't hurt so I might as well use it. I'll report back when I change it on a 32F day with an honest assessment but I guarantee there will be no noticable difference in time to pressure and flow and noises, etc.

If anyone cares, I'll start taking short videos of the oil pressure idiot light the first startup in the morning to get an idea of the 10w characteristics and then some videos of the 5wt.

I saw no difference going from the 0w-20 to the straight 30 ACD, I'm not going to see a difference from a 5w-30 to a 10w-30.

Of course certain members will get from this post that I'm recommending a straight 60wt in Alaska so go ahead.

I doubt you'll see a difference with any oil in your climate. You would though in a cold climate where 0 degrees and below is common.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I have to agree with the guy for the most part. In Ontario I would likely use a 5w or 0w. But for most of us that have winters that barely go below freezing you'll never see the difference between a 5w-30 and a 10w-30.

I have my Redline 5w-30 sitting here ready to go in. I'm past my OCI just to wait until it gets a little colder to put it in. I'm running 10w-30 now. With Redline you lose nothing up top but gain a little cold flow. Will it make a difference in my climate? No way but it won't hurt so I might as well use it. I'll report back when I change it on a 32F day with an honest assessment but I guarantee there will be no noticable difference in time to pressure and flow and noises, etc.

If anyone cares, I'll start taking short videos of the oil pressure idiot light the first startup in the morning to get an idea of the 10w characteristics and then some videos of the 5wt.

I saw no difference going from the 0w-20 to the straight 30 ACD, I'm not going to see a difference from a 5w-30 to a 10w-30.

Of course certain members will get from this post that I'm recommending a straight 60wt in Alaska so go ahead.

I doubt you'll see a difference with any oil in your climate. You would though in a cold climate where 0 degrees and below is common.

That's what I said in several different posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back