convince me that I should be using synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an application like this, more frequent oil changes REGARDLESS of what type of oil, would be beneficial. carb + big cam and high airflow = potential for fuel dilution issues.

O. K.,challenge accepted. If you only get .4 of a MPG better with the syn., then, you pay for the difference between $2 oil and $4 PP on fuel savings. No!! Do your own personal math!

Originally Posted By: FZ1
O. K.,challenge accepted. If you only get .4 of a MPG better with the syn., then, you pay for the difference between $2 oil and $4 PP on fuel savings. No!! Do your own personal math!

I average 44 mpg with the Corolla.

5,000 mile OCI that is 113.63 gallons

If I got 44.4 mpg using syn (which I don't) then fuel used is 112.61 gallons.

113.63 - 112.61 = 1.02 gallons of fuel.

4 quarts of Conventional is $8 not on sale.
4 quarts of Syn is $16 not on sale.

So that gallon of fuel would have to be over $8 to make up much less the savings.

And most people do not see any improvement on fuel savings.

Plus the average person here does not do even a 5000 mile OCI.

Bill

01.gif

what Bill in Utah said.

Regular oil change and maintenance will trump any supposed importance of synthetic over conventional over the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
In an application like this, more frequent oil changes REGARDLESS of what type of oil, would be beneficial. carb + big cam and high airflow = potential for fuel dilution issues.

Oil is changed, at least, before storage and a after storage plus @ 3000 miles if I go that far in a season.

So minimum of 2 changes a year.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Most synthetics are super refined conventional oils with good add packs.

Some are high quality synthesized products superior to any conventional.

Group 4 and 5 synthetics pour at -40 degrees(good if you live in Canada or Alaska.)

It's like liquid ball bearings for your engine.

Most synthetics provide superior cleaning ability compared to conventionals.

M1 is the best selling synthetic.

Valvoline has 4x less wear.

Edge has 8x less wear.

Think with your dipstick.

SOLD ON SYN OIL!

Is you mix Valvoline oil 4X less wear with Edge oil 8X less wear would you get 6X less wear? Using a 50/50 mixture of the 2 brands?

Here's mine. 5000/20 mpg = 250 G. Then 5000/20.4mpg = 245 G.
But you don't do 5k OCIs anyway.

And should not a Accord be getting better than 20.4 mpg?

'02 V6, city and pulling my small Bass Boat. 6 month oci probably about 5k this time. Comfort tread Goodyears cost me about 1 to 1.5 mpg. Ethanol costs me about 2 to 2.5 mpg.

The worse news is, Washington is considering going from 10% to 15% Ethanol. Drive safe.

BTW, I mean in an older 86 5.0 EFI F-150. It doesn't like these 'new fuels', so to say, unless it's a quality company and 93 octane.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I average 44 mpg with the Corolla.

5,000 mile OCI that is 113.63 gallons

If I got 44.4 mpg using syn (which I don't) then fuel used is 112.61 gallons.

113.63 - 112.61 = 1.02 gallons of fuel.

4 quarts of Conventional is $8 not on sale.
4 quarts of Syn is $16 not on sale.

So that gallon of fuel would have to be over $8 to make up much less the savings.

And most people do not see any improvement on fuel savings.

Plus the average person here does not do even a 5000 mile OCI.

Bill
or does the math.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
First you may not live 30 years......

Second, How many things do you blow $ 24.00 on? Food, movies, Cable T.V,Internet...etc.....And that $ 24.00 could be blown in an hour, day, week. The extra 24.00 is for a year.

You have to ask: Is good, good enough or do I want more?
Due to my work I have seen the insides of many engines, most people will never get the advantage from the syn oil they are paying a premium for.

Ethanol question (E10): Give the oxygen content in the ethanol, does the pre-catalysis 02 sensor end up richening the mixture at closed loop? I know on a carburetor you be running lean across the board, but with the excess oxygen in the fuel, I was thinking things would level out on a Lambda controlled FI system. My car's tail pipe is usually gray-black soot, not light grey like a ford truck. I am afraid to run it WOT, because I dont know if its open loop at WOT or not. (Toyota Yaris 1nzfe with wideband lambda control)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back