convince me that I should be using synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
1976 Corvette. Rebuilt 383 engine with a CC 274H flat tappet hydraulic cam. Standard clearances on rods and mains. OCI no more than 3000 miles or minimum of twice a year.

Now using Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 because of their ZDDP numbers and it is no where near as expensive as the speciality oils. Usually drive less than 3000 miles a year. Car is willed to my pseudo grand son, age 8, and I am 66 years old.

Using my present oil, will the engine still be in great shape in 10 years - maybe an additional 30,000 miles?

I just cannot bring myself to pay the RP, Amsoil, etc. prices without a very good reason.

Thanks,

You are already using a synthetic using VR-1.

It should work great for your car.

Last edited:
Don't need Syn in that car, a good quality Dino with high ZDDP content should do you fine with short OCI's of 3K Miles or less. I would use a Motorcyle oil that has high ZDDP content.
thumbsup2.gif

The advantages of syn oil is longer oil change intervals which you aren't doing. Better performance when the oil temperatures are really high which they won't be unless you track the car or tow a heavy trailer I doubt you could run it long enough on the street to get the high temps without getting arrested. Or a really good reason is below freezing startups I am sure the car is garaged. I am you older grandson you never met.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
You are already using a synthetic using VR-1.

It should work great for your car.

There are 2. One specifies as synthetic and the other doesn't( dino or blend? ).

Oops...I see that now too.

Why the big issue with price of syn oil if you are only using it 3,000 miles and would change it once a year?

Syn oil handles heat and load better. It also usually has a better additive package and higher TBN to handle longer OCI's. They also are know for their engine ccleanliness properties and are less likely to leave deposits.

Yeah I use to use a VR-1 20w-50 and I thought it was a dino but I've forgotten alot since then (ten years ago).

I am sorry that I was not clear in my first post. I am using VR-1 dyno oil, not synthetic. That is the reason I asked the question.

I don't have a problem with cold weather starts. Vette does not go out in the winter, in the rain, or when my wife yells at me. T-Tops have not been on in at least 7 years!

How about a HDEO of the CI4+ variety...they can still be found. Just takes a little searching.
That or a top name brand conventional CJ4 brand.

Synthetic has good reasons for use in a LOT of situations. Some there isn't a compelling, driving reason.

I'd say yours is one of them.

Your fine. The only reason I use a syn in my car is due to the option of longer OCI as I rack up miles quickly. In the end it is cheaper.

For you keep up the good work and enjoy your ride.

Unless you are driving a car which calls for synthetic oil and do not plan on extensive OCIs you can use dino, they are quite good. Yours most likely does not need it even after some mods.
10W-30 HDEO like Rotela should be more than enough

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
How about a HDEO of the CI4+ variety...they can still be found. Just takes a little searching.
That or a top name brand conventional CJ4 brand.
I salute you sir!
08.gif
Thank you for all that you do!
thumbsup2.gif

Use Syn oil because for as little as you use it and the fact that you will only change the oil once a year, the cost is not much.

although I agree no synthetic needed I have a very similar vehicle that does about 2000-3000/year and will be given to daughter. I use synthetic but have extended the oil changes to around 18 months and oil and Used Oil Analysis has been fine. As long as you drive the vehicle 10 plus miles once you fire it up a synthetic easily can go 1-2 years between changes with low mileage intervals. So unless you like changing oil twice a year I would consider the synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back