Convertible Mustang Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Mustang ragtop. The owners manual cautions about high pressure car washes and the damage they might due to the top and the window seals to the top. Any suggestions? How do you other convertible owners keep your car clean during the nasty winter driving conditions when you can't get out there and do it by hand?

I don't have a convertible, but that shouldn't matter, because I refuse to use the automatic "Tunnel of Suds" type places anyway. You could go to the self service bay and use the gun without squeezing the trigger. There is a nice fan of water with no more pressure than you would find from a garden hose and nozzle. It does well for washing off the heavy salt and dirt.

Personally, I find it easier to use ProtectAll Quick and Easy Wash (QEW) in the winter. With no hose and only a gallon or two of water required, it can be used inside a garage. Or you could use it in the driveway and just wear wool gloves inside elbow length rubber gloves to keep your hands dry.

See the following link for instructions on QEW use: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32078&highlight=QEW

And here's where to order it:
http://www.protectall.com/qe.aspx

If you can't wash it yourself, I'd suggest finding a local detail shop that will hand wash your car, indoor's if possible.

The key to safe ragtop washing is water volume at low pressure. You want to flow off as much dirt as possible without having to aggressively scrub the top or use harsh chemicals.

QEW is a nice product but won't help at all with convertible top cleaning. Lots of water, a sponge or natural hair wash brush and a ragtop-safe cleaner is your best bet to keep the top clean.

I confirmed it when I had a `97 Cobra convertible. Never go thru the touchless high-pressure car wash as water will leak past the window seals (where the roof folds). Just wash it at coin-op car washes as possible....or at home.

I just washed my convertible on the driveway yesterday. I suggest you get a pair of rubber gloves, get the warm garden hose from the basement and wash by hand.

If you must use the coin-op car wash, spray from a distance.

The whole idea of washing a rag top is to remove abrasive particles that wear the fabric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back