Convertible top - frequent use wear and tear ?

Acquired an 03 Mercedes CLK320 Cabriolet.

Started off as just needing a commuter car. Ran across this low mileage car and got it for a song.

Question regarding the convertible top.
Will "excessive wear" be caused by dropping the top each day?
Really like it with the top down.
1 button drops/raises the top. Not too concerned with the hydraulics/mechanics, but the 20 year old canvas fabric.
Car had 87k miles when I bought it. Ragtop in good shape, but when I raise the top after my commute, it seems to be getting crinkles from being stowed in the "boot".

Guess maybe I should just enjoy it while I got it, but...

Thoughts?

Apply an OEM canvas protector to protect from the elements. Remember to not fold it if it's gotten wet from the rain otherwise you can have mold issues.

The hydraulics are what will be experiencing wear and tear from use.

I remember replacing my 96' mustang top that I paid a guy $750 total to replace about 20 years ago. I traded for the car & the top was pretty worn out/stretched/scratched etc. If it appears in decent shape then you might do well for a while but they don't last forever. You may have a better quality one than the mustang had too.

Haartz is a leading supplier of the convertible topping for a majority of the automobile makes. Not sure if MB is one of them but they recommend a product called “RaggTopp” convertible cleaner and convertible protectant. A very highly regarded product. A yearly application should alleviate any of your concerns.

I had a Haartz top on my 87 Corvette and it really wore nicely. Enjoy your Mercedes and if you have to replace the top it's not a big deal and just part of the drop top game.

Our 13 GT500 is convertible...Formula 303 is your friend, I actually roll it on ours, like you are painting, with one of the 4 inch small diameter paint rollers. I do that once a year. Keep it out of the Sun to the extent possible.

I would would be more concerned with the hydraulics and moving parts.
My 2004 had a vinyl top after about 11 years it started to crack and fray , and around that time i flushed the pump and it came out black refilled with atf naver had any issues. On my 15 the top is a type of fabric and its just like new shows no signs of wear.

One more note: on my cars with German canvas tops, the threads failed before the actual top material or plastic rear window. Seems like 10 years is good life and 20 would be exceptional.

Last edited:
i love my first convert a 2001 TT 225Q 6 spd manual of course!! weather permitting top is DOWN + its stored in a garage when not driven with the top up as recommended. the top itself is not the issue but getting it installed PROPERLY can be!!

I love driving topless. Monepenny's top is in top shape. No wrinkles, sagging, no tearing or stretch marks. I don't see sun damage. The rear window is glass (heated). I clean the top regularly with 303 Convertible Top Cleaner and a horse hair brush. I apply 303 Fabric Guard every 3 months once the top is dry after a thorough cleaning. The top and folding mechanism are solidly made and don't resemble an umbrella.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips.

I typically have driven trucks, suburbans, etc. So I wasn't sure about this little Wind-Up car.

Though it's a small car, I absolutely love it! More comfortable than my LTZ Suburban. The seats are amazingly comfortable, and it's so much more fun to drive too!🏎️

Last pic shows the crinkles I mentioned.

PXL_20230328_215408606.jpg
PXL_20230328_215438143.jpg
PXL_20230328_215415415.jpg

As for frequent use and wear and tear, I don't think that's a concern. I haven't noticed any cracking on the inner rubber-like liner/coating. The mechanism has a bunch of lube points and I don't notice slop in the pivots despite the car's age.

My Jag F-Type's top creases like crazy where it folds. I think I will leave the top down or up as much as possible. But avoid moving it.

This is the original top at 8 years old. It's not wrinkly from what I can see. No tears, fraying, loose stitching, or leaks. The first foot or so of the top is actually a cloth-covered hardtop that becomes a neat and clean-looking lid when the top is folded down. The vehicle is garaged at night but spends a good amount of time in the sun and by the ocean. To be fair, until I bought the vehicle two years ago it was probably stored in a garage for most of its life. The appearance of the top has not noticeably changed since I bought the car. The top comes down whenever possible.

Last edited:
I have found age and weather (primarily sun) exposure affect soft tops far more than folding.

The crinkles are typical, nothing to be concerned with.
Yep. I got my s2000 that had a new top put on then the owner moved away and it sat outside for a couple years. The plastic back window cracked after lowering it in the cold. Probably only had a few uses but the sun was not kind to it. Infrequent use is probably worse assuming all the parts are working correctly.

Haartz tops are very durable when properly maintained. I'll second using Wolfsteins Raggtop protectant and also recommend a soft brushing when cleaning to lift dirt and grit from the fabric...and NEVER leave a wet top folded for any period of time or let one dry folded, or unlatched for that matter.

I worry about the mechanisms more than the tops, with complexity and component costs, but I have been lucky so far.

Back