Converted Thinnie

I know this isn't scientific but I have always been against 16wt. Oil. Dad been using it in 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee(calls for 20wt.) Last two changes. When I check oil(once a week) it is always still at the full mark & and feels just as thick between my fingers as any 20wt. That's dad tho. I'll stick with my castrol 15w-40 and Type 4 atf. Has worked great for me last 16 years. -2 during the winter sometimes too. But something to take note of, dad has had great success with thinner oils, just don't think there is advantage is all. But I'm officially converted. Secretly I'll run thick in my vehicles, but from now on, I have no problem suggesting a 20wt or thinner to others. Dad is even pulling a boat and trailer with that 16wt oil, although a very small boat, but still not bad. I'm a believer!!

Haha I do the same thing:D It goes along with the freezer tests, the color tests, the oven tests, the frying pan tests, etc. When I'm changing the oil, I always admire the feeling of rubbing my fingers together after lubing the oil filter gasket, or just when I randomly pull the dipstick to check the oil:D

I'll never forget the night my gf opened our freezer to find a jug of M1 15W50 staring her in the face!!:ROFLMAO:

That's likely because at ambient temps (say 60°F) the viscosity of a 16W and a 20W are essentially the same - unless you are changing the oil at -20°F, then you might notice a slight difference. Now if you fingers were NIST traceable, then that would be a different matter.

Cept my 2015 and 2018 Fords recommend 5W-30.Yep, the 2022 5.0 and the turbos are back to 5w30 I believe.
And here is the 2022 F150 owners manual. Back to 5w30. Also here is something interesting on the Mustang. Back to 5w30 on the 5.0 and interesting that the 2.3 High Output Turbo gets 5w50. Enjoy.

487A421B-444C-401E-975C-9D86430E3C70.png
4FC20DA6-5B82-42C2-B076-07A5F7063649.png

Last edited:
Kinda brings to mind the temporary viscosity loss and the quality of the base oil that needs less VII. Seems even more important now for a 0w-16

You'll need to check with your dad after about 250k miles and have some engine diagnostics done.

The resources it would take to answer this question is beyond practically any individual person, and frankly nearly impossible. All you can do is guess at how important, and what the ideal range is, of HTHS for your application. Beyond reading the manual of course.

My opinion, admittedly tragically insufficient in itself!

Haha I do the same thing:D It goes along with the freezer tests, the color tests, the oven tests, the frying pan tests, etc. When I'm changing the oil, I always admire the feeling of rubbing my fingers together after lubing the oil filter gasket, or just when I randomly pull the dipstick to check the oil:D

I'll never forget the night my gf opened our freezer to find a jug of M1 15W50 staring her in the face!!:ROFLMAO:
You still have a girlfriend, RIght?:D

OW-16 is what I use. It's what's recommended. I usually use the recommended. My cycle gets the 5W-40 that is suggested.

Yes but curious minds would like to know how much does it cost to get it calibrated and the frequency of that service and who does it?
If someone will pay for it, someone will do it.

I have this idea of offering a Christmas decorating service. I'll come to your house and decorate your tree while you spend quality time texting your children while they're at the mall and you do Pilates with your friends.

Back