Convert 6-volt car to 12-volts

I converted my '58 bug to 12 v. It was mostly bulbs, a generator, '67 wiper motor and choke element, horns. The only thing I let the smoke out of was the start position on the ignition switch. Everybody liked the Mercurys better than the Fords, they were sleeker.but shared the same drive line, etc. They both had 239ci flatheads until '53. My first car was a '53 Ford, I paid 5$ for it. I was 9 yrs old and after I got it barely running I taught myself to drive on dirt roads

If the car is very original and correct, I would be inclined to leave it 6vt. It will likely detract in originality and collectibility at this point to convert it.
If it is not that original or collectable, than have at it.

I converted my '58 bug to 12 v. It was mostly bulbs, a generator, '67 wiper motor and choke element, horns. The only thing I let the smoke out of was the start position on the ignition switch. Everybody liked the Mercurys better than the Fords, they were sleeker.but shared the same drive line, etc. They both had 239ci flatheads until '53. My first car was a '53 Ford, I paid 5$ for it. I was 9 yrs old and after I got it barely running I taught myself to drive on dirt roads
I believe that during that period the Mercury had a 255ci engine.

If you have a problem with the engine not turning over fast enough, the quick and dirty fix is an 8 volt battery. No need to change a thing except maybe adjust the voltage regulator to crank out more juice. Bulbs will be a little brighter but that's not a bad thing and gauges may read a little off.

23887.jpg

They also make 8v batteries. The bulbs and gages work. The old point style regulator can be adjusted...cranks much better

I think they used to make 6v to 12v changover kids for pre 67 VW Bugs. It was bulbs and generator as I recall.
Yeap, they ran the stock 6v starter on 12 volts so it cranked over real well! They should have also changed the ignition coil to a 12 V coil or added a resistor to the power feed to the coil. My first VW was a '63 with a Myer's Manx body.

I've got a 1960 Ford panel van (well, slightly off subject as it came from the factory with 12 volts) that will eventually get the radio converted by the company in the video. F100 radio conversion

Don't forget heater blower motor too...if there is one. Turn signal relay, again if there is one.

I've never messed with a 6v car but our scooter is 6v. Just based on the research I've did on bulbs nowdays I'd stick to the 6. You can order just about any LED bulb in 6v and compatible relay. The web has really opened the availability of just any part you'd want! Along with all the tips on here sounds like it would be a fraction of the cost. Now if the wiring harness was shoot that's another sorry.

Back