conventional or synthetic my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've read a lot today and that caused me to post a new thread. I am wondering if I put synthetic oil say 5w40 or even 10w40 would it slow down or change oil consumption? Right now with conventional it uses a quart every 1400 miles its a saturn sl2. What do you oil gurus recommend what I've read tells me to use synthetic but my old ways say its not wise. What do you guys think? Thanks

Use what ever you'd like. I'm not sure why you think it's unwise, but I have a feeling that you won't stop your oil consumption by switching to syn.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Nope..not in that car...

+1

I would get some cheap 15w40 and call it good. Have had many of those cars.

1400 miles a quart is not excessive or even abnormal oil consumption.

Putting 10w-40 or 15w-40 in a modern engine may be a mistake. The clearances are much tighter than a few years ago. If you have a leak, fix the leak, don't try to mask it.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
1400 miles a quart is not excessive or even abnormal oil consumption.

Putting 10w-40 or 15w-40 in a modern engine may be a mistake. The clearances are much tighter than a few years ago. If you have a leak, fix the leak, don't try to mask it.

I agree thats not a lot of oil. If its a pre 2001 saturn its probable not a leak its the piston and oil rings. I have run pennzoil high mileage conventional in my sons saturn and it used a lot less oil, i only run mobil ep in it now due to it sitting a lot at college.

Last edited:
No leaks . It's a 98 sl2 that's not a lot? Most the data I've had used less than a quart in 3k seemed like a lot to me. Maybe not though. Would a 5w40 be ok? Feel free to give me all the advice in the world. I was wondering if maybe Quaker state hm would be good to use its 3.99 a quart where I am most oils around here are 4.69 on up

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
No leaks . It's a 98 sl2 that's not a lot? Most the data I've had used less than a quart in 3k seemed like a lot to me. Maybe not though. Would a 5w40 be ok? Feel free to give me all the advice in the world. I was wondering if maybe Quaker state hm would be good to use its 3.99 a quart where I am most oils around here are 4.69 on up

No thats not a lot, some saturns burn a quart every 300-500 miles despite running well, its a piston ring issue. Keeping the ring pack clean will help. No long ocis with this engine and api sn should help. a quart in 1400 miles on a 98 sl2? consider yourself lucky!! when it uses more then go to a 5w 40 like rotella.

I honestly think if I change the oil every 2500 miles for awhile it'll j
Help clean it up to. I was always told as a kid that valvoline is the best but now that I read it doesn't seem like its the best any opinions

hi chevryboy.

I never use valvoline or mobil 1. I always use castrol and chevron supreme... But it doesn't make castrol and chevron supreme #1.

The key is use the correct weight and change oil according to the owner manual. I use dino oil most of the time.

Do you have any particular reason for using that stuff instead of valv or Mobil1? And does anyone know what it means when someone say my car liked that oil.or hated that oil? How can I tell

That is indeed high oil consumption, nowadays.
But unfortunately not for those older Saturns!
Thicker oil attenuates oil loss - leaking and burning.
To get a nice 0 or 5 first # for winter , you need the expensive synthetic. Otherwise. I'd use dino.

Which din do you.recommend? I saw the data sheet recently posted with the add pack info the pyb looked good. Numbers were all high. But some oil doesn't gave Moly in it. I thought Moly was a must have. How do you know a good oil.by looking at the add pack numbers

try a high mileage oil and see if it takes care of the leak/consumption. if it doesn't pick up a higher weight for the next run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back