Conventional oil is much better then synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
O ok so he may have a point and might actually have a very good oil he can recommend to me perhaps I need to look into it some more and try it out It just gets expensive on my diesel it takes 36 quarts

Worked many years a steel mills and they almost exclusively use synthetic in gear boxes exposed to major tons rolling steel. Was told by the older guys that before they switched to synthetic oil replaced alot more gearboxes in the mills.

It would be interesting to know if the mineral oil he's peddling has any Group III, PAO or Ester base-stock(s) mixed in.

Tell him to talk to Summit/Kluber for some help on cocktail group 2, 3, 4, and 5's to work to their advantage. Does he also sell new gearboxes on the side, to only mineral based oil users?

Last edited:
How is this guy any different than members here ? Everyone has their own opinions on things.... People can and will make their own choices. Leave it at that.

Waiting for someone to post that they sent him an email telling him how he's wrong !

There's ok there's good there's better and there's. Best. I was looking for best and he made me feel like synthetic oil was not even in the running vs what he could sell to me

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
How is this guy any different than members here ? Everyone has their own opinions on things.... People can and will make their own choices. Leave it at that.

Waiting for someone to post that they sent him an email telling him how he's wrong !

True. Doesn't matter if its true or false. Whatever floats your boat. That said the only problem I see is that he has went beyond that
smile.gif

Although rare, every once in a while a salesman gets his facts mixed up. When this occurs you can rest assured that his intentions are sincere, and any benefit his opinion lends to his commission is purely coincidental.

I've worked on drill rigs before and the drillers used some kind of synthetic oil made by Mobil for their gearbox.

Take the comment from the salesman with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
If you move this conversation to open gears/cables and chains the greases are like asphalt, not synthetic and are not easily washed from appendages.

Originally Posted by Ase
I would be curious to know if his brand can be or was tested against amsoil or some other good brand and what the results would be for use in a diesel or gas powered engine what brands of synthetic oil are top is amsoil my best choice on a diesel or gas engine or is there a better German brand such as Liqui. Moly

I will be happy to read the UOAs you post after testing these oils in your application!

Originally Posted by Ase
I see. But we are talking about mega mega ultra expensive equipment this is not your Bugatti It's 20 Bugatti's if you realize how much mining equipment costs. That's the only reason I was thinking he was correct. Basically called amsoil junk

smirk2.gif
My Santa Fe in my signature would beg to differ with him. 0 consumption when it was retired, how would that be possible if synthetics were inferior to conventional?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
It's funny that they also sell synthetics on their site. If they were inferior why would they bother?
21.gif

They may be a supplier of all lubricants for some companies or facilities so they are a "one stop shop". Not uncommon at all....

I think this is a salesman issue and not a company one. I've dealt with le a few times and my guy was knowledgeable. As pointed out above they sell syns and that's what I purchased. Also the sales rep can discount quite a bit off those ridiculous prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back