Conventional Gone

I've tried synthetic in my 94 Ranger and 09 CRV and it taps and burns oil in both. So am I just screwed?
I would say do a valve adjustment on the Honda. Its got lashed mechanical tappets, That's why it "taps"
I would say do a valve adjustment on the Ford Lima also. IIRC on a SOHC it uses a finger follower class 3 lever system with jam nut
to jack or lower the follower at the fulcrum. They may have gone to hydraulic at some point but I never worked on one with fulcrum HLA. Unless you are using an antique and superseded oil, You have been really using a group 2 and 3 blend which is semi synthetic.

I would guess group I are far and few between, 3rd World dinosaurs these days. I bet the guys that knew how to take these cuts on a tower to make a good oil are all gone.

Last edited:
There are still a huge number of people out there who believe the myth that if theyve used conventional, they have to keep using it.

And vice-versa.
Actually that was NEVER a myth, it was a fact. When synthetic oil first became available, people switched over to it and sometimes found that a "froth" of oil was created in their engine, and in some cases there was engine damage. Then the synthetic oil industry changed the formula to cure the issue. After that it became ok to switch between conventional and synthetic. Now this response you made to the OP (original poster) is a bit of a slam, and you should know you missed the point. Synthetic oil molecules are smaller than conventional oil, and because of this the synthetic oil "slips" out of the engine of older cars with over 100K miles much more quickly than conventional oil. It sneaks past the seals and rings much more easily and ends up forcing you to add more oil more often between oil changes... or risk not realizing that your oil is low and blowing up your engine. So as the OP has noted, it's has indeed become hard to find conventional oil in certain places in the USA. I am concerned since I'm now out of my last batch of 5 qt containers of conventional, and need to change the oil in both my cars which are nearing 200K miles. Im going to try the synthetic blend and hope that i'm not spending more time adding oil between oil changes than normal (usually 1 qt mid way between oil changes). I have noticed as others have pointed out that the synthetic blend oil is just about the same price as the conventional oil I used to buy. But again, my concern isnt money, its waste of oil and the possibility of me not realizing im low on oil.. and causing engine damage. I drive my cars until they are done even though I could get a new car every 3 to 5 years like so many people. I like to conserve resources, and my money too!

Actually that was NEVER a myth, it was a fact. When synthetic oil first became available, people switched over to it and sometimes found that a "froth" of oil was created in their engine, and in some cases there was engine damage. Then the synthetic oil industry changed the formula to cure the issue. After that it became ok to switch between conventional and synthetic. Now this response you made to the OP (original poster) is a bit of a slam, and you should know you missed the point. Synthetic oil molecules are smaller than conventional oil, and because of this the synthetic oil "slips" out of the engine of older cars with over 100K miles much more quickly than conventional oil. It sneaks past the seals and rings much more easily and ends up forcing you to add more oil more often between oil changes... or risk not realizing that your oil is low and blowing up your engine. So as the OP has noted, it's has indeed become hard to find conventional oil in certain places in the USA. I am concerned since I'm now out of my last batch of 5 qt containers of conventional, and need to change the oil in both my cars which are nearing 200K miles. Im going to try the synthetic blend and hope that i'm not spending more time adding oil between oil changes than normal (usually 1 qt mid way between oil changes). I have noticed as others have pointed out that the synthetic blend oil is just about the same price as the conventional oil I used to buy. But again, my concern isnt money, its waste of oil and the possibility of me not realizing im low on oil.. and causing engine damage. I drive my cars until they are done even though I could get a new car every 3 to 5 years like so many people. I like to conserve resources, and my money too!
Thanks for joining. I wonder if I should switch to conventional in my old Sienna with nearly 450,000 miles to prevent the oil from slipping away?

If i had an old beater car with 300k+ miles which never seen synthetic oil. I would not switch, there is no reason to do so.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for setting me straight 🙄

Back