Conventional Gone

I'm new here, so I don't know... Are you kidding or serious? On the other hand, it's not surprising "conventional" is being phased out, given that we're into the 3rd decade of the 21 century. I think even Russian people use synthetic blend in their 80s Ladas these days. Why would anyone in a 1st world country such as United States use and SEEK OUT conventional in their late 90s and onwards Fords and Chevys is quite bewildering and embarrassing. I myself have a 80s design German car, and it doesn't care about the type of oil, just viscosity. An S10 Chevy being picky between conventional, semi-synth, or synthetic? If I had chickens, even they would find it funny
Somehow I’m not so sure you’re new here.

I don't know why anybody would run conventional when synthetics are as cheap as they are. Even without a Costco membership for their ultra cheap Kirkland, ST used to be like $14 for 5 qts synthetic.

Well I agree with your point but some of us have older vehicles and are finding conventional on clearance for $10 or less 5qt jugs. Me personally $4-5 5qt jugs for synblend Valvoline Pennzoil.

Seems like by this fall "Conventional" oil will be Walmart.com or Amazon only ?? Times are a changing with current SP transition and it being
2021 lol. The "Synthetic motor oil world" is among us 😳

At moment, I'm running Castrol GTX 10W40 dino oil in my '01 burban I scored for $5 a 5qt jug @ Autozone lol (y) :cool:

Dave

I don’t understand the gushing for conventional oil when synthetic is available at a competitive price and is much better for modern engines.
An oil with the same API ect ratings is an oil of the same ratings, no matter how it is made. Nothing is better for the application outlined in the owners manual unless proven.

I don't know why anybody would run conventional when synthetics are as cheap as they are. Even without a Costco membership for their ultra cheap Kirkland, ST used to be like $14 for 5 qts synthetic.
I dont know why someone would run any oil that doesnt meet the API ect recommendations of the engine maker.
translated = it doesnt matter what the oil is made of if it meets the API or other certifications required by the engine maker.

The good news, now with "conventional" gone, which as for some years in the SN and higher, there is no need for more debates. Im sure as the next API comes along someone will start a debate on why certain synthetics are no good and others better, even though just like "conventional" called oils, they meet the same API.

Well it’s not fully gone went to Walmart tonight and got two quarts of Havoline 10W-30 it’s for my grandmas mower. They had that in conventional and that was it Havoline only. Not even SuperTech conventional. So me and my dad are going to all the Walmart’s tomorrow to clean it all out because we don’t want synthetic in our old stuff.

I’m serious. They don’t have an oil filter it’s just a sump plate at the bottom and it leaks. They are known for it. They always say if it doesn’t leak it’s not a Volkswagen.
You do know that there is a paper gasket between the sump and sump plate, right?
Change it when you change the oil and it'll stop leaking. Then you can use synthetic anytime you want!

Walmart had ST conventional on the shelves yesterday. It's the new Advanced 20K synthetic stuff I can't find in the stores.

I'm new here, so I don't know... Are you kidding or serious? On the other hand, it's not surprising "conventional" is being phased out, given that we're into the 3rd decade of the 21 century. I think even Russian people use synthetic blend in their 80s Ladas these days. Why would anyone in a 1st world country such as United States use and SEEK OUT conventional in their late 90s and onwards Fords and Chevys is quite bewildering and embarrassing. I myself have a 80s design German car, and it doesn't care about the type of oil, just viscosity. An S10 Chevy being picky between conventional, semi-synth, or synthetic? If I had chickens, even they would find it funny

Embarrassing?? And you ask if others are trolls (provocateurs), LOL.

Last edited:
I always tell people do what they prefer. I’m not one to like advancements especially to do with cars. Like the reason most of my cars are older is because they have real keys and run better and aren’t full of electronics like this modern stuff that I’m not a fan of. Same with synthetic oil I have cleaned my older engines just fine with conventional so I don’t feel there is a need for synthetic.

Reactions: wlk
I always tell people do what they prefer. I’m not one to like advancements especially to do with cars. Like the reason most of my cars are older is because they have real keys and run better and aren’t full of electronics like this modern stuff that I’m not a fan of. Same with synthetic oil I have cleaned my older engines just fine with conventional so I don’t feel there is a need for synthetic.
Well, Blake sad to say most conventional are going way of synblend route. Unless you have what pops has or PYB 20w20 and SAE 40 etc from 1968 “with Z-7 additive” in cardboard cans

I've not been concerned since after visiting here I've known it's all been "synthetic blend" since SN, but on the other end I'm worried a tad at any new formulation. For example, the last two OCIs in my mom's Five Hundred I've had great luck with ST High Mileage "conventional" cutting down leaks drastically, but I worry if "all mileage" may have changed the formula.

So since I'm forced to pick potentially changed formulas anyway, I might end up just going Valvoline syn blend Maxlife in all my vehicles now like I thought I might do a while ago. I'm surprised on my Fusion with a visible front main seal seep and valve cover seep that I'm only down about a quarter or so of a quart in 2000 miles now with Maxlife.

Back