Control arm{s} "compliance bushings"

Hey all! Not a biggy or anything, but just wondering about the term "compliance bushing" referring to control arm bushings.
Is every bushing on a control arm called a "compliance bushing" or does that just refer to the dish type flat bushing?
Honda-Compliance-Bushing-1080x500.jpg

That's what happens when someone tries to come up with an English term and confuses words. In this example, pliable and compliant. Probably wanted to call it a soft/pliable bushing but failed to use the dictionary. It's a Honda term only, right? At least they didn't call it mushy bushing. Mushy bushy sounds actually cute. I know it only as control arm bushing, wherever on the control arm it may be.

Possibly having to do with the direction the bushing is designed to flex? Those types of control arm bushings are, due to the design of the suspension, designed to bend off their axis, not twist within it. So it may technically have a different description. Just speculating.

It seems to be a Honda thing, it refers to the front control arm rear bushing in the front end including different styles not just the donut.
A lot of brands use this style of control arm. MK4 Beetles used a similar design.

It's a standard term for a (generally) rubber bushing that twists and flexes in use. Compare to polyurethane "bushings" which are really bearings because two surfaces slide on each other. There's no sliding in a compliance bushing.

Hey all! Not a biggy or anything, but just wondering about the term "compliance bushing" referring to control arm bushings.
Is every bushing on a control arm called a "compliance bushing" or does that just refer to the dish type flat bushing?
View attachment 180354
Softer rubber bushings are compliance bushings, since it has the ability to stretch and compress to absorb vibrations and movement.

VW has used not so solid rubber bushings, that can be prone to tearing.
1695657002591.jpg

It seems to be a Honda thing, it refers to the front control arm rear bushing in the front end including different styles not just the donut.
I know you're not a "Moog fan boy" but I saw in an older post from about 7 years ago, you said the Moog Problem Solver vertical control arm bushing for the W bodies were actually a pretty decent design and product.
Does that seem to still hold true today?

1695670109679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what happens when someone tries to come up with an English term and confuses words. In this example, pliable and compliant. Probably wanted to call it a soft/pliable bushing but failed to use the dictionary. It's a Honda term only, right? At least they didn't call it mushy bushing. Mushy bushy sounds actually cute. I know it only as control arm bushing, wherever on the control arm it may be.
Compliance is a perfectly good English word.

I know you're not a "Moog fan boy" but I saw in an older post from about 7 years ago, you said the Moog Problem Solver vertical control arm bushing for the W bodies were actually a pretty decent design and product.
Does that seem to still hold true today?

View attachment 180488

Yes, one of the few good things Moog still makes, it is basically a lubricated and sealed Heim joint.

Yes, one of the few good things Moog still makes, it is basically a lubricated and sealed Heim joint.
I put of all brands, Detroit Axle control arms on my W body. Price was right, reviews were VERY good, Fit was good, didn't seem to knock alignment out.
So far so good with the Detroit Axle control arms!
I don't drive the car too too much, but I thought if these bushings ever crapp out, I would try the Moog problem solver ones. Thanks Trav!

Back