Continental Pure Contact LS singing

I had the dealer check the car.
The bearings seemed fine.
The tech and service manager did a test drive. Then I took the service manager for a drive.
They thought that it was just normal road noise.

The manager agreed that the tires are known to be quiet.

The sound is definitely a similar frequency to road noise. But it seems to be separate and distinct.

By the way, as a wrench I was in driveability, and could pick out sounds most couldn't.
I'm still pretty talented with lung sounds, FHTs, Dopplers, etc.

So now I don't know what to do.
If there truly is no mechanical issue, then that leaves tires (tread noise and/or unusual resonance not playing well with my car) or an inherent lack of noise isolation.

The tires have a 60 day warranty, but I would have to choose another Continental.
What Conti would be quieter with good all season manners than the Procontact?

Regarding noise, the car is considered to be middle of the road.
It seemed quieter 6 months ago, which prompted the tire change.
On smooth pavement at 70, I didn't have to raise my voice to talk. Now I do.

I don't expect silence, but you should be able to converse without raising your voice.

I'm so annoyed I may sell the car.

Bob

I was driving into work today and noticed something interesting. The road is smooth but mildly worn asphalt, and I was doing between 40 and 45 mph.
There is a 200-ft section of brand new glass smooth asphalt. When I go over this section the noise does not change at all.

My thinking is that if this were road noise then the sound should change.
It doesn't, so that basically leaves wind noise or drivetrain noise.
I wasn't going very fast so I can't imagine that wind has a huge effect here.
If it were simple road noise such as tread noise against the pavement, the sound should have changed.

Does my reasoning hold up?

Also I used a sound meter driving in today, was floored that it 70 mph on our very average road surface I was averaging 75 decibels.
Is averaging 70 or 71 decibels at only 50 mph.
Unfortunately I don't have prior readings to use as a baseline.

I'm definitely in a weird spot. Because I don't have too much time left to use the continental tire warranty, but I want to get a second opinion on what is going on.

I guess it is possible that the tires are somehow noisy, but I think it may also be possible that something in the drive line, such as wheel bearings, are noisy but not worn to the point where it can easily be felt or heard when spun by hand.

They did use a stethoscope which certainly should give an advantage as far as detection...

Another variable is that a lot of mechanics have terrible hearing!

Bob

Yikes!
These tires seem to handle wet pavement well, and don't seem harsh...

I couldn't figure out how to edit my prior post, But I think I wasn't very clear in what I was hearing. When I went over the smoother pavement, the volume of the undertone (presumably road noise) decreased.
But the other noise, which I suspect may be mechanical, did not change at all.
In other words, if it is road noise (which, by definition, is generated by the tires) then it should change with different road surfaces.

Something else I didn't mention as well: The bearings were checked unloaded.
They may be noisy under load.

Despite my suspicions of a mechanical issue, I'm tempted to go back to my old standby, the Michelin Defenders.
They were a great all around tire, and always reasonably quiet.

Bob

Last edited:
Yikes!
These tires seem to handle wet pavement well, and don't seem harsh...

I'm tempted to go back to my old standby, the Michelin Defenders.
They were a great all around tire.

Bob
Those would be a downgrade. Look into the CrossClimate2, been very satisfied with the few sets that I have seen in action.

That was another tire high on my list...but it is so new...

Bob

Well I just put a set of Continental Pure Contact LS on my wife's car yesterday and they seem quiet,....even with one mounted backwards. :rolleyes: Something I have to take care of Monday morning.
I had considered the Michelin Crossclimate 2 since I couldn't get the defender in that size, but I was a bit concerned about that aggressive tread design getting loud over time with a little wear. That probably wouldn't happen, I don't know, but it concerned me enough to go with the Continental tire.

I'm getting a 2nd opinion on Tuesday.
I figure if the dealer didn't find an issue, I'm not likely to.
But another wrench that has more recent experience than I should have better luck.

I recorded the sound yesterday on really smooth road. I'll play it for the mechanics.
There is no way it is average road noise. I certainly can't rule out the tires, but I would be surprised given the reputation of the Purecontact LS.

Bob

Over the years I have been driving....Michilins have cleared up many noise and driving issues that the dealers would say....they all do that...to no they dont...

Had well over a dozen Hondas and Acuras over about 40 years.
Dumped the brand in 2016 when my 2013 Accord lease was up.
They are just noisy vehicles.

Honda hasn't learned how to make a quiet car. Road noise has always been an issue and to me anyway the suspensions were never really tuned to American roads.

My long time dealer agrees but he also thinks cost cutting is a big issue these days. I have test driven even the current Hondas as 2013 was about a decade ago...lol

So a minor tire issue would be exaggerated in a Accord.. Not saying the tires are good but my last Accord was loud compared to the competition. Tiresome on long drives.

Last edited:
Had well over a dozen Hondas and Acuras over about 40 years.
Dumped the brand in 2016 when my 2013 Accord lease was up.
They are just noisy vehicles.

Honda hasn't learned how to make a quiet car. Road noise has always been an issue and to me anyway the suspensions were never really tuned to American roads.

My long time dealer agrees but he also thinks cost cutting is a big issue these days. I have test driven even the current Hondas as 2013 was about a decade ago...lol

So a minor tire issue would be exaggerated in a Accord.. Not saying the tires are good but my last Accord was loud compared to the competition. Tiresome on long drives.
Dont agree. I have had a 2003 honda civic and a 2007 honda accord that I just traded in with 384000 on it....I replaced both with Michelin tires and they both rode smooth and quiet...I have had other cars in the past like a 1999 dodge grand caravan and a 1989 plymouth acclaim that both came with goodyear tires...they were loud and rode hard...Replacing them with Michelins took care of both of the problems..I wont even mention the problems I have had with Firestones... This is not do start problems just my opinion..

Dont agree. I have had a 2003 honda civic and a 2007 honda accord that I just traded in with 384000 on it....I replaced both with Michelin tires and they both rode smooth and quiet...I have had other cars in the past like a 1999 dodge grand caravan and a 1989 plymouth acclaim that both came with goodyear tires...they were loud and rode hard...Replacing them with Michelins took care of both of the problems..I wont even mention the problems I have had with Firestones... This is not do start problems just my opinion..
My threshold of noise and irritation must be lower than yours. I have much experience with them.

I prefer Michelins period over all others as well

Reactions: hrv
I just did 14 hrs straight on the interstate. Florida to MD.
A nightmare.
Anyway have you guys heard the cell phone ringing noise some grooved road surfaces now make.

It really sounds like a cell phone ringing.

My threshold of noise and irritation must be lower than yours. I have much experience with them.

I prefer Michelins period over all others as well
Ihave experience with them too...but we agree on Michelins...

I also have had good luck with Michelins as far as noise and balanced performance.

And I totally agree with Hondas being noisy.
It is strange that there are people that see them as reasonably quiet.

On a side note: The 19 Accord is an impressive car in so many ways.
The little 1.5T engine is gutsy (>2hp/ci!) logging 0-60 in the low 7 second range, and averages >34mpg in mixed driving. I've never seen less than 34, and I don't drive like grandpa.

Caveat: there is a burning odor that has plagued the engine since purchase (minor leak vs hot rubber, etc.) I'll be having it fixed soon...and admit that this issue pisses me off.
The CVT is really good. This surprised me.
It has a huge amount of space for a mid size sedan. I think it is only a few cubic feet short of large classification. It isn't huge, but is pretty good for my family.
Handling is excellent. It isn't a Ferrari, but leans to the sportier side.
The suspension is also strangely good. It is a little taut/responsive yet blunts impacts well--an impressive feat.
The lane keep and assist, adaptive cruise control and auto braking work incredibly well. They are super nice for longer drives.

And the bad.
Noise. It is mind numbing that Honda can't add $200 worth of damping material and maybe 50lbs to the car.
Hard, poorly designed seats. Had to add a pad.
The steering wheel is off center (or the seats are). ***? This is not my imagination.
Climate control works well but is weird. When on floor/windshield, it still blows from the dash vents, even when on manual and the AC off. Dealer said it was normal... I've never been convinced.
The windshield fogs more easily than any car I've owned. Interestingly, it has a dedicated defog button that works well (it blasts the windshield at the highest fan setting). Honda must know about the fogging, because the button is designed to rapidly correct it.
It is a low car, which is a concern over speed bumps, snow, etc.
The low narrow entry feels like climbing into a fighter cockpit.
I dread replacing the windshield: $1100 due to having to realign the sensing camera. Insurance may cover it...but would premium increase?

The bad and good cancel each other out. I bounce back and forth between liking the car and being annoyed.
The things it does well, it does very well, easily beating most others in the class.
But the negatives drive me nuts.

I'm still on the lookout for a possible replacement.

Bob

I also have had good luck with Michelins as far as noise and balanced performance.

The little 1.5T engine is gutsy (>2hp/ci!) logging 0-60 in the low 7 second range, and averages >34mpg in mixed driving. I've never seen less than 34, and I don't drive like grandpa.

Caveat: there is a burning odor that has plagued the engine since purchase (minor leak vs hot rubber, etc.) I'll be having it fixed soon...and admit that this issue pisses me off.
It has a huge amount of space for a mid size sedan. I think it is only a few cubic feet short of large classification. It isn't huge, but is pretty good for my family.
The suspension is also strangely good. It is a little taut/responsive yet blunts impacts well--an impressive feat.
The lane keep and assist, adaptive cruise control and auto braking work incredibly well. They are super nice for longer drives.

And the bad.
Noise. It is mind numbing that Honda can't add $200 worth of damping material and maybe 50lbs to the car.
The steering wheel is off center (or the seats are). ***? This is not my imagination.
Climate control works well but is weird. When on floor/windshield, it still blows from the dash vents, even when on manual and the AC off. Dealer said it was normal... I've never been convinced.
The windshield fogs more easily than any car I've owned. Interestingly, it has a dedicated defog button that works well (it blasts the windshield at the highest fan setting). Honda must know about the fogging, because the button is designed to rapidly correct it.
I dread replacing the windshield: $1100 due to having to realign the sensing camera. Insurance may cover it...but would premium increase?

The bad and good cancel each other out. I bounce back and forth between liking the car and being annoyed.
The things it does well, it does very well, easily beating most others in the class.

Bob
Thats why I got a 2021 Honda HRV Sport.. It has none of the Honda safety stuff that the higher priced models have...I believe in the KISS method....Keep It Simple Stupid..but I am still getting used to the CVT tranny...

And the bad.

Bob
Awesome post.
My Ford C max had that off center steering wheel. Drove me nuts.

My last Accord had many of the things you mention plus a real bad paint job as new and alloys that peeled in the first year.

The mpg was great but stepped down very quickly after 70 mph but that all do.

Horrible fog issue too.. CVT is great.

Awesome post.
My Ford C max had that off center steering wheel. Drove me nuts.

My last Accord had many of the things you mention plus a real bad paint job as new and alloys that peeled in the first year.

The mpg was great but stepped down very quickly after 70 mph but that all do.
I am real picky on the steering wheel being centered too... But if your wheel is centered on the dot and you travel on a crowned road....and most are...if I am in the right lane it will be slighly left of center...in the left lane slighly right...If I drive in the center of the two lanes it will centered, When they alaign your wheel they center the steering wheel for straight and not the crown of the road...because they could be different on different roads...

Back