Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus

Maybe, but tread that's designed to work somewhat well in light snow compromises dry weather performance. But it's not like I'm a Swift race car driver, like that Taylor guy I keep hearing about.
Dry grip the variance is much smaller than folks make it out to be between a summer and UHP AS....I mean, public roads...how hard are folks driving...hope not at the limit where this stuff really matters!

How cold does it get where you are? :unsure:
Typically 30s-40s in the morning. But sometimes a few consecutive days of single digits to 20s. I don't have to drive the car then, but it's parked in a garage that's currently unheated.

My son had a BMW that came from the factory with summer tires, but he didn't realize the limitations, and didn't see where BMW had said anything about it. He drove the car through at least one New Jersey winter before getting a set of A/S tires.

Typically 30s-40s in the morning. But sometimes a few consecutive days of single digits to 20s. I don't have to drive the car then, but it's parked in a garage that's currently unheated.

My son had a BMW that came from the factory with summer tires, but he didn't realize the limitations, and didn't see where BMW had said anything about it. He drove the car through at least one New Jersey winter before getting a set of A/S tires.
Honeslty, they will be fine, I've left my summers on through late November here in central VA and had them out in temps like that warming to the 50s-60s without any drama but clearly an UHP AS is a better choice for these "shoulder season" temps.

I went from A/S 3+ to the DWS 06+. Compared to the A/S 3+ the DWS give me more confidence in the rain, has a slightly softer ride, a little slower turn in response and a little more noise on highway.
exactly my experience...had Michelin A/S 3+ on a 2014 CTS Sport Wagon and went to the Conti DWS 06 Plus...we get snow, rain and dry here in ChicagoLand and mine has driven on all 3 without issues...the Conti's are better in the rain (by a good margin) and better in the snow than the Mich's were and equal in the dry with a slightly more compliant ride than the Mich's...

I like Continental DWS 06 Plus so much I bought them to replace the OEMs on my 2016 CTS V-Sport as well...

Bill

My "go to" tires on anything with four wheels if available in required size. Smooth riding, reasonable lifespan, great in the wet and even handle moderate snow up to the first wear limit. Only negative is they get a bit noisy towards the end of their life.

Have recommended to others and all have been pleased.

So, sounds like I can't go wrong with the DWS 06+. I'm a little concerned about noise due to some of the comments, but I see where Tire Rack spider charts show it to be one of the quietest tires in that category, and my Pilot Sport AS3+, along with the AS4, as some of the noisiest. I can settle for "relatively quiet".:)

They aren't bad tires. Softer ride than the Michelins, but the turn in and steering feedback isn't as good. So I guess it depends on what you are doing with them. We install them on everything from sedans to sports cars. They don't always seem to last as long as they should, but a lot of that is on the driver.

Yes, my current Michelin Sport AS3+ tires are super responsive. I'd buy them again, or the AS4, if they didn't rumble so much.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the DWS06 Plus and P Zero AS Plus 3 on a BMW E90: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=324

I'm leaning towards the DWS06 Plus for its better NVH characteristics. While the Pirellis may be more athletic, I think the DWS06 Plus are good enough. My only reluctance is poor steering feel/feedback since that is the E90's entire jam

I'm having a hard time deciding between the DWS06 Plus and P Zero AS Plus 3 on a BMW E90: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=324

I'm leaning towards the DWS06 Plus for its better NVH characteristics. While the Pirellis may be more athletic, I think the DWS06 Plus are good enough. My only reluctance is poor steering feel/feedback since that is the E90's entire jam
Check out this tire and the test video, test summary, and especially the spider charts. Seems to me like it ticks all boxes, except for snow.

Tire Rack and their customers really liked it. Would be interesting to see it compared to the DWS 06+ and other more popular UHP tires.

fa_azenis_fk460_as_full.jpg

Check out this tire and the test video, test summary, and especially the spider charts. Seems to me like it ticks all boxes, except for snow.

Tire Rack and their customers really liked it. Would be interesting to see it compared to the DWS 06+ and other more popular UHP tires.

fa_azenis_fk460_as_full.jpg
Falken is a decent brand, but it ain't Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, or Pirelli.
Don't forget; while performance during testing is a good guide, the issue is performance after 20,000 miles. That is why you paying more for top tier tires.
I had Michelin PSS on VW CC and at 3/32 they were cutting through water like crazy, better than some new tires I had. It was actually a borderline ridiculous tire.

Dry grip the variance is much smaller than folks make it out to be between a summer and UHP AS....I mean, public roads...how hard are folks driving...hope not at the limit where this stuff really matters!
Exactly. There's a difference between spirited driving on a public road and tearing up the track, although some drivers do confuse the two.

Exactly. There's a difference between spirited driving on a public road and tearing up the track, although some drivers do confuse the two.
The thing is, you can actually really push these UHP all seasons with good feedback etc....just not quite as good as a true summer b/c of the additional blocks etc. I have both - Michelin PSAS4 and Conti ECS both on the same size wheels, the Contis handle better for sure, but when I switch to them I never think "OMG THOSE ALL I MEAN NO SEASONS ARE TERRIBLE".

I have used them on a Z51 2015 Corvette as my "cool weather" tires in Spring and Fall. And now I have a set for the same purpose on my 2022 Z51 Corvette. For spirited back road sport driving, they don't give up much to summer tires. And the tires last longer too. If I get lazy, I leave them on through the summer.

Conti DWS 06 (not sure if + used at time), only set of tires I ever returned (to DT) with 30 day ride guarantee. On a 3.0L Accord size 215/50/17. Worst flat spotting vibration I've ever experienced, worse on cooler/cold mornings. Replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4, smooth as silk.

Back