Continental DWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
They arent soft or squirmy compared to Grand touring tires..

compared to some other UHP tires they are.. but on a daily driver UHP tires would drive me nuts with all the expansion joints anyway.

I think they way they handle and FEEL is a plus for most cars. They make the DW series if you want more feel and less squirm(and dont need winter traction)

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
How can you tell if the sidewalls are soft?

Reviews and experience are the best way, but speed rating and the number of sidewall plies seem to be decent indicators. In my experience, single-ply S-rated tires tend to be very mushy. In the case I described, the soft sidewall pair is S-rated while the stiffer pair is H-rated. I've also found that the two sets of 2-ply sidewall T-rated Coopers I've had are significantly stiffer than any single-ply S-rated tire I've used, but not noticeably stiffer than single-ply H-rated tires.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I'm pretty much convinced that people can't tell the difference between tread squirm and sidewall stiffness.

Probably true! I'm not even sure that I would know how much of each was responsible for a soft sidewall feel if I didn't know what the tread on my tire looked like beforehand. But I always expect a winter or winter-oriented tire to be squirmy. You don't get to find out how the sidewall really feels until the tires are worn down to the point that they're no longer suitable for winter. Since most all-seasons aren't suitable for winter to begin with, IMO, they start out with a major advantage over the DWS in terms of steering response.

The dws is a UHP tire its lightyears better than most touring tires.

I've driven a g6 with the dws and the oem bad hankooks(425a?) The dws is so much better in every way its amazing.
Now if you were comparing it to a yokohama S.drive or similar summer type tire--michelin pilots etc I would agree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back