Contact cement

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of the best options for readily available contact cement? I see a lot of recommendations for Barge but it seems pricey and tough to find the right formula. DAP weldwood gets good annecdotes, but what about permatex? Any other recommendations? Primary use this time will be to reattach a boot sole where the PU midsole is separating from the welt... Hardly automotive but I figure some of you might have experience with different contact cements.

Needing Emergency cement on Christmas?? Is that you Vinny??? LOL
Maybe its better to buy a new pair of boots who knows when it will come apart and make you trip..

Barge all pupose. Scuff up both sides, apply to both surfaces, wait 12 minutes, stick them together. Line it up well, so you don't have to pull it apart at all. I'd stand in the boots with out moving for about 2-3 minutes, take them off and let them sit overnight.

Nothing works.

try a hot glue gun and stand in it with something like a towel under it to mash it together.

don't pull it apart after you do it just to see how it did.
oh # 1. rule of joining any 2 surfaces.

1 try to rough both surfaces up with like sand paper in your case.
2 clean both surfaces with a solvent like 90% rubbing alcohol or better.

Leave it alone for a while and let it cool before you clean it up. excesses glue and all..

2 stage epoxy may work better.

pro tip: use a little bit more hardener than resin when mixing.

wait till it is starting to get hot before you use it..

good luck.
cool.gif

I have used Shoe Goo in the past with much better success than I ever expected. Cheapest usually at Big Lots Stores around here. In a red tube in blister pack. If it's your favorite boots ect.... find a shoe repair shop and see if he can glue it, just because he will have better stuff to work with. That's if you can find one still open. They are a dying occupation but a few persist.
For a second I thought you were talking Limey on us . The I couldn't figure what the part of the trunk gaskets "sole"🤔Was. It's too early 💤😴Yet

Amazing stuff if prepared for a bit of expansion ...
Any tips on storing - every time I reach for Gorilla Glue the whole bottle is set up.

There is a "best epoxy strength test" on YouTube ... guy did a decent test ...

Last edited:
I think Gorilla glue or 2 part epoxy would be too rigid?

The nice thing about cement is that it remains flexible after bonding so your sole isn't as hard as a rock.

So... picked up three adhesives at the hardware store, but trying to decide whichwould be best.

1. DAP Weldwood contact cement. Highly regarded in online leather working discussions. Good reputation.
2. Permatex contact cement. Seems, like 3M, their products generally just work. Can't find any discussion on this one.
3. Loctite Go2 Glue. Looks like a newer product, haven't done any research but purchased based on packaging info. Says it combines the best of polyurethane and polyoxysilane with water resistance and broad temp range.

Thinking about testing the DAP vs on the Loctite on the two boots and see which holds up better. Or possibly just using the DAP. Or maybe over thinking everything too much and going in circles.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Primary use this time will be to reattach a boot sole where the PU midsole is separating from the welt... Hardly automotive but I figure some of you might have experience with different contact cements.

Sonneborn NP-1 industrial urethane adhesive.

I've used this stuff several times now to reattach soles to both tennis & water/kayaking shoes. Not only is it waterproof, but still flexes when cured. Incredibly tenacious when dealing with rubber, plastic, vinyl and when filling voids. I clamped the soles on, then left it to cure for 24hrs. No worries.

The rest of the shoe will fail, long before NP1 will.

I've cemented rubber soles on the dog's shoes. I'm very impressed at how well they've held up. I used DAP Weldwood, I think it was the red bottle. I remember reading that the original red bottle formula works much better than the newer ones with friendlier chemicals.

I made sure to clamp it overnight before use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back