ConsumerGuide ( Automotive ) : Classic car ads of station wagons from '79

My dad was always a big Oldsmobile guy with a new 1958 88 Olds, then a 65 Olds 98, then a couple Tornado's. When we were in high school 50 years ago our church group took two station wagons to Mexico to help out a mission. The first one was a 69 Pontiac with a 400 or a 455 engine and before we went on the trip the car was serviced at a gas station. To make a long story short they forgot to fill the rear differential with fluid or the fill or drain plug came loose. The car started smoking out the rear end and we had to have a new one installed out of a recycling junk yard. The other car was a 1970 Impala wagon with a 350 engine and it ran great all the way down to Mexico and back to SD. Anyway the Pontiac was much faster than the Chevrolet however the Pontiac did not have air conditioning and the Chevrolet had a good air conditioning system. Both station wagons were fairly new, only a couple years old and they were donated by the parents of two other kids that went on the trip. The trip was awesome and that's about the only time I drove around much in a station wagon. I will say the Pontiac had much more power than the Chevrolet. If the GM was a 427 it would have been a different story.

The letter to VW about the safety of the Dasher (Passat) is interesting. Let me paraphrase my similar letter to VW about my 1975 Dasher: “Dear VW, I’d like to thank you and the engineers in Germany for keeping me safe in my Dasher. How so? Well, it’s left me stranded 5 times in the first 8 months of ownership. And, of course, it’s axiomatic that one cannot be in an accident if one is not operating an automobile. So, thanks for keeping me safe by rendering my car inoperable so frequently.”

Back