Consumer Reports yanks Tesla's recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/20/autos/co...=hp-toplead-dom

Consumer reports finds Tesla to have below average reliability in recent owner survey.

Uh oh.

I wanted to get this posted before HTSS_TR posts it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I wanted to get this posted before HTSS_TR posts it
smile.gif

Not sure he would post a negative story about it.....since he's in LOVE.
smile.gif

I will read it after this post.

It's not unusual for a new car company has below average reliability for their first or second vehicle.

I'm waiting for Model 3 introduction early next year, if Tesla reliability is dismal then I will looking for something else.

I love Tesla but I love my saving account even more !

PS When I love something and/or a company I posted it. I didn't try to hide what was in my mind at the time I posted it. I didn't/don't deceive anyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/20/autos/co...=hp-toplead-dom

Consumer reports finds Tesla to have below average reliability in recent owner survey.

Uh oh.

If CR moved it down, then it just moved a lot higher in my personal ranking.

People think I'm kidding when I say that, but I'm not.

Right!
Who would want a reliable car?
I mean, why would anyone expect reliability in a car lacking mechanically complex components like an engine or a transmission?
At the prices Tesla is asking and with the lack of pesky dealers to discount them, a Tesla should be the most trouble-free car out there.
Sadly, that isn't the case.

Quote:
About 1,400 Tesla owners surveyed complained of problems with the car's charging equipment, center console area and things like door and windows. They also had issues with the car's electric drive systems and they complained about rattles, squeaks and leaks in the sunroof.

Too many fancy and unproven features is the problem. The door handle is flushed with the body, it will raised when driver approaches the car, this feature is unneeded and it can failed prematurely.

I like my S2000 partly because it has no high-tech features. The steering is fix without any adjustment to break, the seat is the most basic with 2 manual adjustments: for/aft and seat back recline, no heat, no lumbar support adjustment, no power and no memory. No DBW, no stability control. Heating and A/C is manual. Audio is most basic too, with AM/FM and single CD player, no bluetooth and no XM ...

The fancy features of the S2000 are: power window, power door lock, power soft-top and cruise control.

People that buy Tesla's probably don't check CR first. Still very much a boutique market for folks with extra disposable income.

CR's pan of the model line is meaningless.

Hyundai only started making reliable cars a few weeks ago... I wouldn't sweat it if I were lucky enough to be able to afford a Tesla.

And Volkswagen?

I think Tesla will do just fine.

First day when I went into Auto Mechanics, the teacher said, "ALL CARS ARE GARBAGE." Well, he didn't actually say Garbage, it was more along the lines of manure...

I've never had a high opinion of CR. I lost what little respected I had for them when they reviewed a 4th gen Camaro SS and said the "exhaust was too loud and we would prefer it be quieter."

Originally Posted By: Falken
Hyundai only started making reliable cars a few weeks ago... I wouldn't sweat it if I were lucky enough to be able to afford a Tesla.

And Volkswagen?

I think Tesla will do just fine.

First day when I went into Auto Mechanics, the teacher said, "ALL CARS ARE GARBAGE." Well, he didn't actually say Garbage, it was more along the lines of manure...

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Don't care, I still think Range Rover and Maserati are great vehicles and CR doesn't like them either.

I rather drive a Tesla than a Prius.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Don't care, I still think Range Rover and Maserati are great vehicles and CR doesn't like them either.

I rather drive a Tesla than a Prius.

I'll be sure and wave at you while you're sitting on the shoulder in an entertaining Maserati or Range Rover as I fly by in one of my boring but reliable fleet.
Entertainment value pales for any actual owner with a broken car.
Most would prefer to be in a Prius.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

CR seems to have done a complete 180 on Tesla.

Incorrect.

As is often the case in these threads, a lot of people are showing some ignorance to what CR does.

CR really does two things with car reviews:
-They buy and test cars. The Tesla Model S has a great score from CR. It still has this score.
-They survey owners of the vehicles on reliability.

To be one of CR's "recommended" models a vehicle has to have a good test score and average or above reliability. Because the owner surveys now show the Tesla having below average reliability, it's losing it's "recommended" label, but it's still a very highly rated car in their tests.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
People that buy Tesla's probably don't check CR first. Still very much a boutique market for folks with extra disposable income.

CR's pan of the model line is meaningless.

This is the first time CR reports Tesla reliability.

I'm a believer in more hightech features more chances for it to break.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I've never had a high opinion of CR. I lost what little respected I had for them when they reviewed a 4th gen Camaro SS and said the "exhaust was too loud and we would prefer it be quieter."

Hmmm....can you provide a link?

Here's what they say about the current Camaro SS:
Quote:
Ride comfort and noise: The Camaro has a taut, controlled ride that isn't punishing. Impacts come through firmly, but the suspension isolates them and effectively takes the edge off most bumps. The highway ride is steady and taut. The cabin is surprisingly quiet for a sporty car, except for occasional tire slap. The engine is muted in everyday driving, and road and wind noise are both subdued. But the engine snaps to life and sounds great when the throttle is punched.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

The Ghibli actually has a decent CR score, so it's not really accurate to say they "don't like" it. Their main knocks against it are it's parts-bin qualities and some areas where the driving dynamics are a little lacking.

The Range Rover actually does quite well in CR's luxury SUV ratings. The Range Rover Sport doesn't rate quite as high, but still has a pretty good rating.

I am a huge fan of what Musk has done with Tesla. He has set the standard for electric vehicles, for all other car companies to stretch for. So many amazing innovations.

That said, I have no difficulty believing that the cars are filled with quality and reliability issues. My plant provides parts for the Model X and Model S, and will most likely provide the same parts for the Model 3. One of my good friends had the opportunity to visit the Tesla plant, which is in the old Nummi plant, and also the tier I supplier for the front seats. He has visited a lot of assembly plants over the years, and so he has a solid experience of what a good operation should look like. When he came back he reported that both Tesla and the seat supplier really have a long way to go to perfect their assembly processes. The pedestal mounted seat has a lot of idiosyncrasies, and they were really struggling with simple tasks, such as running lead wires in it.

And Tesla is really struggling with installing the falcon wing doors. He said it was almost comical to watch them attempt to go through all the odd sequences to get it installed and properly fit.

So, yea. It's totally believable that they are still getting the bugs worked out. After all, how many cars have they built so far? Total Model S sales to date are about 50,000 cars? Ford probably sells that many cars every two weeks. So, Tesla has a very, very limited experience level. But it really seems that they are quick learners.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I will read it after this post.

It's not unusual for a new car company has below average reliability for their first or second vehicle.

I'm waiting for Model 3 introduction early next year, if Tesla reliability is dismal then I will looking for something else.

I love Tesla but I love my saving account even more !

PS When I love something and/or a company I posted it. I didn't try to hide what was in my mind at the time I posted it. I didn't/don't deceive anyone.

Do you really think that the Model 3 will still be released in early '16? Look how far behind they are on the Model X release, and they aren't even going to make large volume deliveries of it until early '16.

I suspect you have plenty more time to save up for your Model 3.

Last edited:
i stopped reading cu after buying a subaru in 02 and they were clueless about the headgasket issue and as for tesla-who puts out a 2 seat uber expencive sports electric car as their first model? some one who dosnt know the car market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back