Consumer Guide Automotive : Cost of charging electric vehicles ...

Again, it's not how many miles I drive in a day. Yes, I can use an EV to make my morning commute. But I can NOT use an EV to tow my trailer, or take a full weekend track event, or drive cross country to visit family without taking a week or more to get there. So yes, I can use an EV for my daily drive.......but I can use my ICE cars for EVERYTHING. If I wanted to I could live my entire life with JUST the Touareg. One vehicle. As I stated before, unless you live your life at home and the office and driving in between, people need an ICE in addition to their EV to do what a single ICE can do. How is that BETTER?

Um, you realize that I don't need to start my day with a full tank because I don't have charging anxiety. I start my WEEK with a full tank and never have to think about it.

Ok, you got me, takes about 3 minutes for the Touareg and it's 26 gallon tank.

Of course I can drive 700 miles on that tank.................and then fill up in 3 minutes and go another 700 miles............

No it isn't! How long does it take to hit that "full tank" after you plug it in?? That's how long it takes, it is irrelevant if you plan your life around the time needed to not inconvenience yourself, which in itself is an inconvenience. What happens if you get home and plug in and 10 minutes later decide to go out to eat? Can you go to any restaurant you want.....or do you have to find someplace within whatever limited range you have left factoring round trip? What if after dinner a friend calls and says he's stranded 100 miles away and needs help? You either take an ICE vehicle you have on standby or tell them to pound sand.

That's the only way anyone can ever justify the EVs is if they twist reality and wave away real life factors as if they do not factor into the consideration because of THEIR point of view and circumstances.
I don't have charging anxiety either. I used to, but you learn. These cars are different; for sure.
It may take 3 minutes to actually pump the fuel, but you have to go somewhere, perhaps wait in line, and more.
I plug in the car and go in the house. I unplug before I leave. That's how long it takes. You seem to assume I end up with low miles every day; that's not the case.

I doubt I would take the Tesla to rescue someone; I woud take my Tundra with tools. No one said one car is perfect for everything. And I have said EVs are different than ICE.
If you don't like Teslas or EVs, don't buy one. But you seem to negate all the benefits of them. I wonder how many owners you have talked with? EVs are not for everyone but owners, for the very most part, love their cars.

Fair enough. But comparing our Model 3 fueling costs against any ICE car is not fair because I charge with solar panels. And don't hafta go anywhere.

I would taken the Tesla to Costco, but I generally take one of the ICE cars to fill up. Costco is about 40 cents less around here, as you know.

My point is, it depends on your use case.
Then it is the opportunity cost and depreciation cost of the panel vs fuel.

Again, as I mentioned the biggest cost for an EV is the time based deprecation cost of the battery replacement cost. If you compare the $20k battery at 15 years, add that to the charging cost (or in your case the solar panel deprecation), it is not a for sure win. You can come out ahead buying a high mileage recent year used car and park it mostly drive it for very few miles a year, and it still come out ahead of a Tesla.

It "really" depends. I love to have an EV if the circumstance is right, but at the moment my miles per year is so low it will be just sitting there and depreciate. I'd probably end up buying a used high mileage recent model year gas car in the future instead.

I don't have charging anxiety either. I used to, but you learn. These cars are different; for sure.
It may take 3 minutes to actually pump the fuel, but you have to go somewhere, perhaps wait in line, and more.
I plug in the car and go in the house. I unplug before I leave. That's how long it takes. You seem to assume I end up with low miles every day; that's not the case.

I doubt I would take the Tesla to rescue someone; I woud take my Tundra with tools. No one said one car is perfect for everything. And I have said EVs are different than ICE.
If you don't like Teslas or EVs, don't buy one. But you seem to negate all the benefits of them. I wonder how many owners you have talked with? EVs are not for everyone but owners, for the very most part, love their cars.
You mean like having the steering wheel in your hands while driving.

Then it is the opportunity cost and depreciation cost of the panel vs fuel.

Again, as I mentioned the biggest cost for an EV is the time based deprecation cost of the battery replacement cost. If you compare the $20k battery at 15 years, add that to the charging cost (or in your case the solar panel deprecation), it is not a for sure win. You can come out ahead buying a high mileage recent year used car and park it mostly drive it for very few miles a year, and it still come out ahead of a Tesla.

It "really" depends. I love to have an EV if the circumstance is right, but at the moment my miles per year is so low it will be just sitting there and depreciate. I'd probably end up buying a used high mileage recent model year gas car in the future instead.
I bought the panels for the house.

You mean like having the steering wheel in your hands while driving.

Have there been problems with Teslas? Sure. Just like any car. But Tesla owner customer satisfaction is sky high; at or better than Porsche territory.

People bring up these stories like it is every car, and fail to report back when they prove to be false. Just like the Model S that drove into a tree on a private road while on AP killing its owner and neighbor. Facts matter.

I bought the panels for the house.
I understand, but the fact is each kwh still cost and it is the depreciation cost of the panel that becomes the kwh you use in your house and to charge your EV.

You don't assume the cost of nuclear power plant is only the Uranium fuel but also the depreciation cost of the plant too, correct?

I understand, but the fact is each kwh still cost and it is the depreciation cost of the panel that becomes the kwh you use in your house and to charge your EV.

You don't assume the cost of nuclear power plant is only the Uranium fuel but also the depreciation cost of the plant too, correct?
Agreed, but the EV gets me to break even faster and then it's all gravy after that.
I do not understand much about solar panel depreciation beyond the warranty I got. I guess I'll find out in another 15 years or so.
If I have to buy again, I hope it will be cheaper, or I could just go back to PG&E. At that time I should be way ahead of the game.

Have there been problems with Teslas? Sure. Just like any car. But Tesla owner customer satisfaction is sky high; at or better than Porsche territory.

People bring up these stories like it is every car, and fail to report back when they prove to be false. Just like the Model S that drove into a tree on a private road while on AP killing its owner and neighbor. Facts matter.
I almost choked on that one. That is a gigantic stretch, all that tells me is Tesla owners are willing to accept a sub par quality vehicle in the name of being stylish. There is no way in hades do they compare to Porsche in build quality or any other way and Porsche owners do not accept a mediocre product.

I almost choked on that one. That is a gigantic stretch, all that tells me is Tesla owners are willing to accept a sub par quality vehicle in the name of being stylish. There is no way in hades do they compare to Porsche in build quality or any other way and Porsche owners do not accept a mediocre product.
Of course you are welcome to your opinion, experiences, etc. But the customer sat numbers are what they are.

I’ve been hearing the newest Model Y and 3 are actually quite well made. Simply because the volume is so high and they’ve worked out all the issues.

Apparently the more expensive S and X have significantly worse build quality right now.

Would go with '23 BOLT when deciding to purchase an E.V. . The cold weather here is a concern . Low price is tempting .

The issue with these EV vs. ICE articles is that the truth always varies. Consider my all too extreme example.

I bought a Mitsubishi i-MiEV for $3750 way back in the spring of 2021. It had a brand new EV battery recently installed. All the recalls and updates were done, and it has given me and my wife about 13,000 miles of low-cost driving since then. We use it for her dogsits and other local driving within a 10 mile radius. Current range is about 80 miles.

I did buy two tires for $209.50, and we average five miles per kWh. Our electric company charges 8 cents per kWh, so that works out to $104 in fueling costs over two years. Throw in $10 for windshield wipers and that works out to a grand total of....

Great Scott! My Uncle Sam just gave me this electric car for free!

Sammy just offered me a $4000 rebate and as a car dealer, I can legally sell it to my wife for non-business purposes and register it in her name. We will probably keep it for another 3 years so that works out for us. I also just did get in a 2013 Smart ForTwo electric drive that also got a brand new HV and 12-volt battery. So that's another $4000 tax credit for my non-business use.

Toss in one each for my college-age son and daughter should they decide to buy an EV (they probably won't want one but hey, let's pretend) and you see how the economics of ownership works out incredibly well for a small pigeon hole of Americans. There is also a charger near the Walmart that is five miles down the road which offers free charging for two hours a pop. So technically, we could reduce our costs even further.

Finally, there will be countless spare parts for these two EVs since most of the ones out there aren't eligible for new EV batteries. Parts cars are also dirt cheap to buy since demand for parts on these two early-EVs is practically nil. Despite the intimidation factor of EVs, they are simple machines to service and repair. So if we want to be long-term owners, we have that option.

I didn't plan for any of this. Chances are those rebates will be gone by around 2025 once the Feds realize that a $30+ trillion deficit is hampering our countries long-term growth prospects. If none of these subsidies existed I would still be owning an EV, which is why I kept the MiEV two years before the tax credit became a reality.

Like most Americans, I would happily trade this unfair subsidy for good governance and a balanced budget.

Who cares what the general population thinks. Buy the BMW and laugh when you see the Tesla that looks like it’s been in a wreck and improperly repaired, even though it’s still on the transporter truck going to a new owner.

Last edited:
Of course you are welcome to your opinion, experiences, etc. But the customer sat numbers are what they are.
Put the consumer reports in the toilet reading bin. Looks like a high quality trouble free car to me, not.

jd-power-dependability-2021.jpg

Back