Considering Oil Change Short Cut

I have a 2011 Acura TSX Wagon and, up until now, I’ve changed my oil and filter every 7,500mi using Honda branded filter and Mobil 1. I’m considering changing to a Fram Ultra filter and replacing it every other oil change. I plan to extract the oil via the dipstick tube using a vacuum pump for the oil only service. This will eliminate the need to drive the car onto ramps, remove the underbody shield, filter and drain plug to only once every 15,000 miles. The filter is pretty small and I'll check to see how much oil is left in the pan after the first extraction so I have an idea of how much extra used oil I am leaving in the engine.

I have a 2011 Acura TSX Wagon and, up until now, I’ve changed my oil and filter every 7,500mi using Honda branded filter and Mobil 1. I’m considering changing to a Fram Ultra filter and replacing it every other oil change. I plan to extract the oil via the dipstick tube using a vacuum pump for the oil only service. This will eliminate the need to drive the car onto ramps, remove the underbody shield, filter and drain plug to only once every 15,000 miles. The filter is pretty small and I'll check to see how much oil is left in the pan after the first extraction so I have an idea of how much extra used oil I am leaving in the engine.
Considering the same for a 2nd generation FIT . Picked up 4 quarts MOBIL1 Annual Protection 0w-20 on clearance at WalMart . Would use it with FRAM Ultra XG7317 .

Well that will at least save you a minute on two changes.
Underbody shield is held on by 8 bolts and a little awkward to do without a lift. Filter and drain plug, plus cleaning out the pan I drain into can make a bit of a mess, so I put a plastic tarp down before driving up the ramps. If the trade off is leaving in 8 ounces of old oil, I can live with that.

Yes, Honda still says that. There is a MM code for "change oil" and another one for "change oil and filter" but even dealers don't follow that.

Isn't the OEM Honda Filter rated for 20,000 mi?
Never seen any marketing literature for (any) OEM filter but Honda does say you can change the filter every 2nd oil change. With our '05 Odyssey, the oil meter would go around 7k miles before saying it needed changed so that's 14k rating there. What mileage do modern Hondas go to ? 10k is probably on the high side, IMO.

@Hall, In the early 2000s, the last few years before they started using the MM, Honda's factory OCI was 10k, with a new filter every other OCI. The A02 is basically a PH7317.

" Isn't the OEM Honda Filter rated for 20,000 mi? "

10,000 with Honda . Have done those in past with no issues . Now use FRAM Ultra XG7317 , XG7317 not much more than the A02 at a dealer . Always use / used MOBIL1 AFE 0w-20 or P.P. 0w-20 .

Last edited:
@Hall, In the early 2000s, the last few years before they started using the MM, Honda's factory OCI was 10k, with a new filter every other OCI. The A02 is basically a PH7317.
Our '05 Odyssey had the MM. Are you saying (not doubting you, just asking) that they phased in the MM across models rather slowly ?

And yeah, I've seen where everyone thinks the OEM filter is just a rebranded Fram but the PH is Fram's low-end filter and Fram doesn't say 10k miles. I think they do with the TG and 20k with the XG.

Back