Considering Making A Change, Honda has disappointed me

As usual, I research stuff to death...found some interesting information on the 3ZR-FAE 2L engine that Toyota uses in the C-HR, apparently it dates back to the Scion and has been somewhat updated with a newer fuel injection system but is known for oil burning, possibly related to the use of low-tension piston rings. Apparently there is no automotive nirvana.

It also has Valvematic on the C-HR which would scare me. But it Look less complex than BMW Valvetronic and it appears they are still employing a throttle (?!)

It also has Valvematic on the C-HR which would scare me. But it Look less complex than BMW Valvetronic and it appears they are still employing a throttle (?!)

Well, interesting service visit to the Honda dealer today, long discussion with an excellent Technician. My CRV is apparently status quo for oil dilution, nature of the beast, changed to Mobil1 5W-20 EP and will do another UOA in 3500 miles. Honda is apparently going to have an updated injector available at some point, so I'll stick it out and see what happens, CRV runs well and I do like it, so just going to do more frequent oil changes. As far as the C-HR, not liking it so much in person and the engine history is troubling, so not interested. Also was informed that Honda may do a gen XI Civic Coupe later this year or next, for me, worth waiting for.

Yikes. It's getting increasingly difficult to find any vehicle that does not have a serious achilles heel or two, regardless of brand. I considered a Forester back in 2013 but the oil consumption internet frenzy scared me away. I don't look forward to my next purchase. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Yikes. It's getting increasingly difficult to find any vehicle that does not have a serious achilles heel or two, regardless of brand. I considered a Forester back in 2013 but the oil consumption internet frenzy scared me away. I don't look forward to my next purchase. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I clearly get your point. When Ford's incredible modular 4.6L was regularly making 500K miles without issue, all of a sudden the 5.4L version was suffering failure after failure. Many issues were due to design changes. But others were clearly "related" (not due to, as there is a difference) to the change to thinner oil and an increase in oil temps. The 5.4's suffered timing chain guide failures, due to leaking timing chain tensioners + low oil pressure due to the oil pump backplate leaking. Also head/cam failure as oil would not make it to the rear of the RH head. The problem is mechanical in nature, made visible by water thin oil.

HOWEVER, with a higher viscosity oil, those mechanical problems (small leaks) were not catastropic. The 5.4L "1.3 million mile van" used 10W-40 oil. That very same engine might suffer failure before 100K with 5W-20 here in FL.

I'm currently at 170,000 miles on my 5.4L, it gets a steady diet of M1, 10W-40HM and is running perfectly. I don't expect any issues. Contrast that with the guy who, at under 60,000 miles, changed his RH cylinder head and cam phasers due to low oil pressure, with the use of 5W-20 here in hot n sticky South Florida.

My point is not that "thin oil is bad", clearly it's not. But that certain engines do have known issues that can be addressed by a savvy owner. Choose a quality synthetic that retains adequate viscosity, and change it frequently.

Last edited:
Know where you're coming from, after driving and loving Honda Civic EX or EXL coupes for 35+ years, my heart was broken when they discontinued them, so I'm now driving the SUV I swore I'd never own. At least it's still a Honda.
1966 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Coupe, always remembered = WOW... we had one in the family. Mom talked Pops into trading it in. Ours looked just like this one....
00J0J_6yOofNq1ZIy_1200x900.jpg

Changed oil on a 2020 CRV last week after 4200 miles/2 months. 40% was left on the Maintenance Minder.

this car gets driven 80 miles per day, but the oil still had a faint whiff of gasoline,
Yup, looks like my situation is going to settle into about the 4500 to 5500 mile oci range once I get some UOA back. Going to take a while since we put so little miles on the cars now a days. I can handle the more frequent oci if thats what it takes. I don't know if a bluff but I keep hearing Honda is working 24x7 to come up with a solution that won't break the bank. Something about a new program update (that one sounds iffy) but then also some different type injectors or control??? Just crossing my fingers. Really want to keep the car we got. Would hate to make wife trade in the one true car she selected all on her own. :( Good luck to you with yours.

Back