Considering Making A Change, Honda has disappointed me

“Situation: I'm 74, live in a townhouse and am unable physically to do my own oil changes.”

not easy. o.p. is pretty much limited to a dealer or independent garage.
Thanks; I didn't see that post. If he were by me, I would service his Honda for him. The MityVac makes quick, clean work of it.

I would get a MityVac and a bunch of Kirkland motor oil. Suck out that oil evert 5k and swap the filter every 2nd or 3rd service.
Easy peasy.
That's a great idea, (as long as the vac works on that dipstick tube) as clean oil, adequate viscosity and frequent changes are more important than anything else for that engine.

That's a great idea, (as long as the vac works on that dipstick tube) as clean oil, adequate viscosity and frequent changes are more important than anything else for that engine.
Ask and you shall receive. Here's the 2019 CRV EX-L I service; works like a champ! Now if Honda would just put that filter on top...
1641058389155.jpg

None as of yet, was planning to keep this CRV for 5 years or more, just concerned about the long-term effects of oil thinning. Situation: I'm 74, live in a townhouse and am unable physically to do my own oil changes. I have the Hondacare 120/7yrs so probably should stay with 0W-20 or 5W-20 for warranty requirements, I'd really like to go to 5W-30 if I could get away with it. I guess my best plan, short-term, is to go to 3k change intervals. Still might drive a C-HR just to convince myself. My 2019 Civic Touring Coupe was able to have excellent UOA's with 5K intervals on Mobil1 0W-20 AFE, pretty much the same engine but definitely less load, seems like the CRV is much harder on oil. The CRV is going in for an oil change on Monday, they're going to check programming, injector performance and the PCV system, perhaps something is awry. My dealer has a friendly service manager and I've got a young, eager Honda Certified Master Mechanic who is going to give it a good going over.

If you planned to keep the CRV for 5 years but have a 7 year warranty, why would you get rid of it due to fuel dilution? In the highly unlikely event it causes any issues, you are covered under warranty. Forget the UOAs, follow the OLM and trade it when the warranty is up.

This is what Consumers Reports notes about the Toyota C-HR:

Predicted owner satisfaction 1/5.
Predicted Reliability 3/5.
"We found ourselves checking to see if the windows were up because of the pronounced wind noise at highway speeds."
That is one of my only complaints about our Honda (other than the oil dilution) that even in their top models there is wind noise. I have done the same thing often. Check to see if a window is cracked open. We have over looked that and been satisfied to keep buying the same exact model , the Accord Exl time after time. There is a certain level of feel and handling , steering that we like with the Honda. I think it was called close ratio steering systems. Some other cars have too much of that old floating feel to the steering.

“Situation: I'm 74, live in a townhouse and am unable physically to do my own oil changes.”

not easy. o.p. is pretty much limited to a dealer or independent garage.
I feel for you. I am just 65 and have so many physical ailments (even steel in spine + fused neck) totally disabled due to that and othe stuff. BUT I STILL want to and try to do some of my own stuff, I realize u can't in a towhouse. I got two garages and a shop and still doesn't help me. I usually try to do something a couple times a month and end up feeling like a train hit me the rest of the month. I take lots of steroid shots to get by. Oh and Wild Turkey shots help too. STILL it kills me to bring my vehicles to someone else to work on.

If you planned to keep the CRV for 5 years but have a 7 year warranty, why would you get rid of it due to fuel dilution? In the highly unlikely event it causes any issues, you are covered under warranty. Forget the UOAs, follow the OLM and trade it when the warranty is up.
You are correct, point well taken. However, after now 27 years as a Biomedical Technician working on life support equipment, i have trouble not being somewhat obsessive about a lot of things, especially maintenance. Also still working as a gunsmith, also a trade that lends itself to being overly particular. Hard to break away from that mindset as it's probably in my DNA.

That is one of my only complaints about our Honda (other than the oil dilution) that even in their top models there is wind noise. I have done the same thing often. Check to see if a window is cracked open. We have over looked that and been satisfied to keep buying the same exact model , the Accord Exl time after time. There is a certain level of feel and handling , steering that we like with the Honda. I think it was called close ratio steering systems. Some other cars have too much of that old floating feel to the steering.
Know where you're coming from, after driving and loving Honda Civic EX or EXL coupes for 35+ years, my heart was broken when they discontinued them, so I'm now driving the SUV I swore I'd never own. At least it's still a Honda.

I really wouldn’t worry about it - how often do we actually hear of Honda engines failing from thinned out FD oil???
I think Honda tests there engines to run fine on VERY thin oil; and the use of 0W-20 has all the protection it needs.
I would not spend more $$, which you will, going to a smaller vehicle. Now is not the time to be buying!

I have a friend with a CRV, either a 2017 or 18 model year with that same Earth Dreams 1.5 motor. She puts 30-35,000 miles a year on hers. She gets the oil changed when the monitor tells her to and it gets done at the dealer. She hasn’t had one problem with that vehicle.

The Honda 1.5T that are experiencing fuel dilution in the oil are those which are driven in lots of low speed, stop & go, and lots of startup & shut offs type of use. Those who do more open road and/or continual running the engine even at low speeds, don’t experience the fuel dilution in the oil.

The Honda 1.5T that are experiencing fuel dilution in the oil are those which are driven in lots of low speed, stop & go, and lots of startup & shut offs type of use. Those who do more open road and/or continual running the engine even at low speeds, don’t experience the fuel dilution in the oil.
Not always the case, at least 80% of my driving is 65+, the rest is country 35-45 mph, virtually no low speed. At 4000 miles my UOA shows 3.5% and my Mobil1 0W-20 EP barely in grade, levels rising on the dipstick. Going in Monday for a change and some testing of injectors, programming, EGR and software/firmware updates. Something isn't right.

Just as a comparison, my 19 Civic Coupe running Mobil1 0W-20 AFE with 5k intervals had virtually perfect UOA's, same driving conditions. I run only Toptier fuel and warm-up is about 45-60 seconds until I start driving.

Last edited:
Echoing what others have said, I’d drive it until the warranty expires and change the oil more frequently. If anything happens while under warranty it’s not on you. This really isn’t the best market to be looking for a new vehicle.
That is my plan at this time. Just sad because I like to keep my vehicles in tip top shape and keep them at the very least 10 years. My record on keeping one is about 18 years. At this time there are no reports of failures with those engines BUT they did not start using them until just a few years ago. So far so good with ours. Also hard to get rid of one when you like just about everything about them. Right . no time to look for a new one. I am getting bombed with requests to sell or trade now.

I don’t understand what are y’all complaining about. 60K on my ‘17 1.5T 6MT civic. Simply the best car I’ve owned. Change oil every 3-5k and enjoy the car

Not always the case, at least 80% of my driving is 65+, the rest is country 35-45 mph, virtually no low speed. At 4000 miles my UOA shows 3.5% and my Mobil1 0W-20 EP barely in grade, levels rising on the dipstick. Going in Monday for a change and some testing of injectors, programming, EGR and software/firmware updates. Something isn't right.

Just as a comparison, my 19 Civic Coupe running Mobil1 0W-20 AFE with 5k intervals had virtually perfect UOA's, same driving conditions. I run only Toptier fuel and warm-up is about 45-60 seconds until I start driving.
I asked earlier if your other CR-V is experiencing fuel/oil dilution?
Have you considered taking you vehicle to the dealer and see if there is a reflash/update of your computer to help with this issue?

I asked earlier if your other CR-V is experiencing fuel/oil dilution?
Have you considered taking you vehicle to the dealer and see if there is a reflash/update of your computer to help with this issue?
Mine is going into the dealership on Monday for an oil change, also to check the injector programming, software/firmware and EGR system. My wife's 2020 CRV has only 4200 miles and has had 2 oil changes as she uses it as a grocery getter. A UOA is in the works for hers, I'm surmising that hers may have some dilution, however I am also suspicious that mine may have something wrong that's causing the problem as my previous Civics had essentially the same engine and were driven in a similar manner had no dilution issues. Mine has 20k miles and is still under warranty as well as Hondacare.

Back