Considering gear change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 95busa
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I didn't realize 2005 came with 17s. The smallest size would have been 245/75-17 , 31.5''. Not too much of a difference between the two.

That was the size it came with. I thought it was more like 30.5, but if you say so, I believe you. I havent done the math since I bought the 33's.

What is your new size? Or is it 33x12.5-17LT or something?

I highly recommend Yukon gear sets...Even more than OEM Spicer or FoMoCo, Installed hundreds of Yukon gears with no issues.

The Carrier Breaks on Dana 60's can be deceiving.
The "High Pinion" "Reverse Spiral" Dana 60's do not technically have a "Carrier Break", They all use 3-series carriers, However anything above 4:10, Even factory gears, The Ring Gear is thicker than a standard Dana 60 that would use a 4-series carrier for anything above 4:10.

4:56's for the front, Randy's Ring & Pinion

FoMoCo 10.5" diffs don't have a Carrier Break, So your good there, 4:56's for the rear. Randy's Ring & Pinion

I cant believe Ford put 3:73's in a 5.4L F250 SuperDuty 4x4, That is a Diesel/V10 gear ratio! Even when the 460 was still around....Most 4x4's had 4:10's.

If your not going to go above 33" tires, 4:30's are a good split between 4:10 & 4:56.

285/70-17, like 33x11.5, load range E. BFG Rugged Terrains.

285/70-17 = 32.7"
245/75-17 = 31.5"

So the difference in gearing isn't so much as we were thinking before. About 4%.

I thought you might have still had the stock tires & wheels, which would have made going back and forth in gearing easier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I highly recommend Yukon gear sets...Even more than OEM Spicer or FoMoCo, Installed hundreds of Yukon gears with no issues.

The "High Pinion" "Reverse Spiral" Dana 60's do not technically have a "Carrier Break", They all use 3-series carriers, However anything above 4:10, Even factory gears, The Ring Gear is thicker than a standard Dana 60 that would use a 4-series carrier for anything above 4:10.

FoMoCo 10.5" diffs don't have a Carrier Break, So your good there, 4:56's for the rear. Randy's Ring & Pinion

I cant believe Ford put 3:73's in a 5.4L F250 SuperDuty 4x4, That is a Diesel/V10 gear ratio! Even when the 460 was still around....Most 4x4's had 4:10's.

If your not going to go above 33" tires, 4:30's are a good split between 4:10 & 4:56.

I don't know about the 3V 5.4, but the 2V 5.4 has to be a real dog. Even the base model single cab we have with 4.10s is sluggish.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I don't know about the 3V 5.4, but the 2V 5.4 has to be a real dog. Even the base model single cab we have with 4.10s is sluggish.

A number of different things going on here. 3V engine is 50hp stronger with a 15lb ft torque advantage over the 2V engine, and a much lower torque peak due to VCT. Second, the 3V engines got the torq-shift 5 speed transmission, with a much lower first gear than the 4R100. I don't find it doggish, but it is a 6000+ lb truck with a 330 cubic inch V8 (although I imagine it is a little lighter than 2V trucks due to coil spring front ends). Its all about perspective. The first truck I drove very much was my Dad's 1981 Dodge 1/2 ton with a 225 slant six and a 1bbl carb hooked to a three speed auto. We're kind of spoiled these days!

Last edited:

So if I am reading this right, the front diff needs a new carrier? Or are we saying thicker gears will do the job? Sorry- not too familiar with differential stuff.

So if I am reading this right, the front diff needs a new carrier? Or are we saying thicker gears will do the job? Sorry- not too familiar with differential stuff.

No carrier needed, The "Thick" Ring Gear takes care of that.

With the expense you're looking at, I would just drop down a gear when towing and call it a day, The Torqshift in tow/haul should be more than adequate for accelerating, then while you're at highway speed just drop down to 4th/5th gear.

Your transmission is actually a six speed, only 5 are used with 4th being used cold weather operation.

I have an '48 Ford F5 with the flathead V8, on its best day many years ago it was rated at 100 hp with a 4 speed trans. I still use it and load it down with approx. 8,000 lbs. It takes a while to get up to speed but it will.

With your set-up with the Torqshift you will be accomplishing the same thing down-shifting a gear as re-gearing for free.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
With the expense you're looking at, I would just drop down a gear when towing and call it a day, The Torqshift in tow/haul should be more than adequate for accelerating, then while you're at highway speed just drop down to 4th/5th gear.

Your transmission is actually a six speed, only 5 are used with 4th being used cold weather operation.

I have an '48 Ford F5 with the flathead V8, on its best day many years ago it was rated at 100 hp with a 4 speed trans. I still use it and load it down with approx. 8,000 lbs. It takes a while to get up to speed but it will.

With your set-up with the Torqshift you will be accomplishing the same thing down-shifting a gear as re-gearing for free.

Therein lies the problem with the torqshift. You can select O/D or 3rd. You can't manually select 4th. The Tow/Haul mode makes it kick down faster, but it is set up to pull in fifth, and the shifter is not set up to select 4th. Aggravating.....but it does have some good qualities, like the downhill speed holding feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back