Considering changing to a different oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been used Brad Penn's racing oil in my 68 Mustang with a 351c (flat tappet cam) motor but have been hearing that BP's Zinc and Phos numbers have been coming back from the various labs with low numbers. What oil is being recommended that has consistantly higher numbers of Zinc and Phos? Redline Racing?

At one point, you're right, the numbers weren't what they should have been...

However, I think ARG has improved their QC to make sure the numbers now come in as advertized....

You make a good point about who's reporting the wrong numbers? Mfg or the labs? After reviewing various VOA results it looks like the different lab numbers come in half of what the mfg list. argh!!

do you really "need" a racing oil? Are you running this vehicle on the track? Or just looking for the burst of ZDDP?

Reason I ask, is because I've heard 'racing' oils don't have as much detergency to them, since they are marketed towards vehicles that are prone to frequent oil changes, tear-downs, etc....

How many miles do you put on per year? Brad Penn (ARG) are a good Co. with good customer service. Their lubes are very good for your app. I would stick with them.

Amsoil has a new offering (Z-ROD) in 10w30 and 20w50 that have high ZDDP.
Redline
There are others but BPenn is good stuff.

Originally Posted By: cmayna
I have been used Brad Penn's racing oil in my 68 Mustang with a 351c (flat tappet cam) motor but have been hearing that BP's Zinc and Phos numbers have been coming back from the various labs with low numbers. What oil is being recommended that has consistantly higher numbers of Zinc and Phos? Redline Racing?

The usual suspects: Redline, Royal Purple, etc. IF you need an all-out racing oil there's Roush and Joe Gibbs.

For a street-driven vintage car that likes a 40-wt oil, I'd really recommend either Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 0w40. Both stout oils with ~1000 ppm zinc/phos. No need to go to mega ZDDP numbers unless the cam is very radical or is still not fully broken in. And a much better detergent/dispersant additive package than most racing oils have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back