Considering a slightly longer OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if you guys were going to buy a remanufactured engine, but the engine had varnish all over it, would you still buy it?

If an automotive machine shop was to rebuild engines by doing all the machine work, but failed to remove the varnish first, how long do you think that machine shop would be in business?

Originally Posted By: BertieBlue

Least that's my thoughts....

Well you just keep on thinking, as long as the thermostat is fully closed when cold, warm up isn't going to be all that much quicker on the road... In fact at temps -30-40* most engines will warm up far more fully at idle than cruising down the highway with the cold air rushing across the oil pan and block...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You run the risk of developing varnish stains by extending your OCI past 3000.

You are obsessing about something that's almost worthless...

I'm sure my old F-150 has plenty of varnish... Had no record of OCI in over three years when I bought it, plus pan had less than a quart in it and looked like black paint... So what have I done after i gave it a three quart flush just idling in the back yard??? Change every few months, short 1-2K mi OCI??? Nope it now has 4500mi and 14 months since changed in Dec '12... I do plan on a fresh change in the spring but that probably six weeks to two months away...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

You are obsessing about something that's almost worthless...

I'm sure my old F-150 has plenty of varnish... Had no record of OCI in over three years when I bought it, plus pan had less than a quart in it and looked like black paint... So what have I done after i gave it a three quart flush just idling in the back yard??? Change every few months, short 1-2K mi OCI??? Nope it now has 4500mi and 14 months since changed in Dec '12... I do plan on a fresh change in the spring but that probably six weeks to two months away...

You and I are trying to accomplish two entirely different goals.

Your priority is to see how far you can push the oil without seizing the engine up.

My priority is to see how clean can I keep the engine.

Who's taking the engine apart to get it ready for the machine shop someday?

Me.

I want those guys to be thoroughly impressed by how clean the engine is and they will be.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

My priority is to see how clean can I keep the engine.

Who's taking the engine apart to get it ready for the machine shop someday?

Me.

I want those guys to be thoroughly impressed by how clean the engine is and they will be.

I've sent stuff to the machine shop that was nasty and clean as new, after it went though the hot tank couldn't tell them apart...

How clean the parts were when dropped off was never mentioned, that'll no doubt be different in your case as you'll be sure to point it out...

You're still obsessing over something that's worthless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back