Considering a career change, picking up a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies guys. It's been an interesting road.

I'm looking at a management position to get more involved with supervisory duties and organization and to get out from behind the desk.

Firemachine69, thanks for your insight. You'll have to try a lot harder than that to ruin my day. lol

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Hi folks,

This is the most out there post I've ever thrown at the BITOG crew,
but I'm thinking about a career change.

I've been doing Mechanical design/ Engineering work for almost 12 years. I'm just frustrated with the desk work and the vague results, and my ability to find interesting work now that we're living in Alberta. It seems like if you're in the field and aren't in oil the jobs are scarce and the pay is low.

I've been wondering about branching out in my career, BUT, I'm specialized enough that it's really difficult. companies usually look for specific experience from what I've seen over the years.

I'm thinking about a trade. My family has been involved in Plumbing for over 100 years, and I've done it off and on. I'm 36 now though, and don't want to tear my body to shreds (although I'm fit and relatively ache free)

I was thinking CNC machining as well, the schooling isn't terrible and it's an easy progression from what I've been doing.

THEN, I think I'll just suck it up, and settle in for another 25 years of desk jockeying.

Ok, so that was more of a blog. Any thoughts, shoot them my way.

Thanks,

Ryan

Did you ever make a career change ?

Keep your current job and do the "trade" on the side. This way if it turns out that you don't like it, can't deal with the stress of physical labor, etc. you have something to fall back on.

Too many people quit their day jobs to try and "stick it to the man," only to end up broke and starving a few years later because their idea didn't succeed and they ran out of money.

You do not want to be a supervisor/manager.
Trust me on this. I'd rather not be supervising staff. I'd much rather be doing my own thing at work.
I've had direct reports for the past seventeen years and I was happier before I did, not that I'm unhappy now.
It's just that it's so much easier when the only person you have to supervise is yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back