condensation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most case yes.....but the bad thing about water is the nasty acids formed with all oxidized hydrocarbons (from oil and fuel) and nitration byproducts (from air in combustion). These acids don't leave so fast and quickly deplete the Ca (and other) based additives designed to deal with said acids..........

Reason I'm asking: I've turned the 03 Sport over to my daughter for her college transportation. The only driving she does is maybe a mile or 2, 2 or 3 times a week and a 3-hour drive home every 2 or 3 months. It's been 3 months since the last change. The oil looks quite clean. Why should I change it if it looks good??

Originally Posted By: ArmPitt
Reason I'm asking: I've turned the 03 Sport over to my daughter for her college transportation. The only driving she does is maybe a mile or 2, 2 or 3 times a week and a 3-hour drive home every 2 or 3 months. It's been 3 months since the last change. The oil looks quite clean. Why should I change it if it looks good??

I would, merely because you won't see the car in how long after that?

What earl?

What will be the appearance of motor oil that has been tainted by condensation?

Looks like cappuchino, if there's enough water in the oil.

PS: Great forum name there. Are you Dirk Pitt's brother?
grin2.gif

Usually is shows up on the oil filler cap first.
Yes looks like cappuccino. Normal on some engine with poor PCV systems eg, Chrysler 4.7 v8

I'd change it before she takes off for school, I'd also use a quality synthetic and change it twice a year. If you have done so, I'd replace the PCV valve for good measure.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Condensation on the oil filler cap of our 1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL

Thanks! Great pics. I remember on my Ranger seeing the brown goop on the end of the oil drain plug.

i had some oxidation in a 2000 saturn with 171000 miles on it. I went almost 3600 miles but 6 months before i changed the oil last time. The mechanic wanted to sell me an oil treatment flush. I changed the PCV Valve and declined the flush. No issues since changing it out.

BTW... we're talking a 2003 Ford Crown Vic Sport with 133K miles...

Niiice. I got a 98 Interceptor. Fun ride. I did notice though these things tend to be a tad slow to warm up due to their larger engine size and higher oil capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back