Condensation in headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@op time out

Why drill holes? If you fix the leak, then there's no reason for said hole. It just introduces an ingress point for moisture and dirt

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
@op time out

Why drill holes? If you fix the leak, then there's no reason for said hole. It just introduces an ingress point for moisture and dirt

There's a good chance of trashing the whole assembly trying to get them apart. I never had an issue afterward with the 3 or 4 I had to do. If you drill a very small hole at the lowest point, water will not accumulate in there. I still have an old truck which I did this on some 20 years ago and all is still well AND dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
@op time out

There's a good chance of trashing the whole assembly trying to get them apart. I never had an issue afterward with the 3 or 4 I had to do. If you drill a very small hole at the lowest point, water will not accumulate in there. I still have an old truck which I did this on some 20 years ago and all is still well AND dry.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, will drilling holes just into the bottom of the back section actually do anything? Basically there are 3 parts to these lights, the outer clear plastic, the inner reflective part where the bulbs reside then the second half/backing piece.

I can't see, honestly, since the drilled holes won't enter where the bulbs reside in the reflective area/section, that drilling these holes will actually do anything?

Last edited:
Well, they are all back together and installed. Fingers crossed.
smile.gif

The only thing I didn't do was swish around some alcohol or vinegar that was suggested to me while I had them off.
blush.gif

Now you can clearly see the water spots inside the lens. If that is all I will have to deal with, I will be happy but this will bug me.
mad.gif

I decided to replace the running lights and turn signal lights while I had them off. 2 bulbs were darkened so I knew it was only a matter of time before they blew.
I had, previously, changed the headlight bulbs so the only bulbs remaining were the hi beams but they still looked to be in pretty decent shape.

I put dielectric grease on all of them plus I smeared some on the surfaces before twisting the bulbs back in.

Well, irv, sounds like you got it handled. Just remember it could have been worse. My old Audi had the glass assemblies. They were vented, so the odd bit of water would happen, but that wasn't my worry. I kept thinking how dirty the headlights were inside. So, I took the bulbs out and took the assemblies out, tried to rinse them out. The dirt came out, but things were still dim. I looked closer, and the reflective paint on the backside had flaked off. That was the bulk of the "dirt" I was seeing. The dealer wanted a fortune for the assemblies. Canadian suppliers outside the dealer network had one assembly, so that was useless. I ended up getting them from New York at well under half the price, and they were OEM assemblies, too.

Originally Posted by Garak
Well, irv, sounds like you got it handled. Just remember it could have been worse. My old Audi had the glass assemblies. They were vented, so the odd bit of water would happen, but that wasn't my worry. I kept thinking how dirty the headlights were inside. So, I took the bulbs out and took the assemblies out, tried to rinse them out. The dirt came out, but things were still dim. I looked closer, and the reflective paint on the backside had flaked off. That was the bulk of the "dirt" I was seeing. The dealer wanted a fortune for the assemblies. Canadian suppliers outside the dealer network had one assembly, so that was useless. I ended up getting them from New York at well under half the price, and they were OEM assemblies, too.

I hope so, Garak? I noticed a slight internal fogging in the bottom right corner today on the driver's side but nothing at all on the passenger side. Hopefully it is just residual moisture I didn't quite get dry enough?
I'll keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, then it will have to come off again but I am hoping it is just that? Both are way better than they were but they haven't sat overnight yet either.

That sucks to hear about your's. I have no idea what new ones would cost for this car, but I know they won't be cheap!

Well, it's back to the drawing board or time for some new/used headlights!
mad.gif

Both lights are fogging again, although not quite as bad, yet. My bud phoned his buddy at a wreckers and I can get 2 good ones, according to him, for $80 bucks.

Not sure if that's the route to go or should I tear into the old ones and seal around the entire light this time and maybe drill some holes as has been suggested?

I really don't want my son driving around with foggy headlights so I need to do something soon.

Originally Posted by StevieC
If you are going to replace try drilling holes at the bottom. Got nothing to loose at this point.

My thoughts too but do I drill all the way into the reflective area or just enough to get through the gray backing part?

I am also curious if I rushed this job and didn't get them completely dry? I did a better job on the passenger side as it is not near as bad as the driver's side, but still are both unacceptable, imo.

WP_20180926_19_44_56_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_19_45_05_Pro (2).jpg

I would go into the reflective area and use a small drill bit and let the drill do all the work, don't apply pressure behind it so as to limit chipping. The convection of the heat from bulb being on should draw air into the housing and dry up any remaining moisture. It would be good to leave the moisture there as a test.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I would go into the reflective area and use a small drill bit and let the drill do all the work, don't apply pressure behind it so as to limit chipping. The convection of the heat from bulb being on should draw air into the housing and dry up any remaining moisture. It would be good to leave the moisture there as a test.
grin2.gif

The thought of tearing into these headlights again is not sitting well with me! What a PITA to just get at them!
If I do go this route instead of spending the $80, no way am I going to leave them with any moisture in there! I'll run the hair dryers all night if I have to but not a chance I am going to see if drilling them will get rid of the moisture on it's own.

I am also going to seal/silicone up the entire light this time instead of just the tops. I would also like to get those vents out but I think the light would break as I tried the last time. The will swivel slightly in there but no way due they want to come out.

Interesting things, Hemihawk. Thanks for sharing that.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back