Concours d'Elegance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every fall there's a themed car show at a local "castle" in Des Moines called the Salisbury House. This year it was the Concours d'Elegance. There are no street rods there-everything is either fully restored or in it's original condition. Every year the cars are from the era of the Salisbury House, which is the early 1900's to the 1970's or so.

The vehicles this year were simply stunning. They ranged from a little Isetta to Packards to Rolls Royce Silver Wraith. There were also quite a few exotics, as well as a BMW and a Porsche class. It's also enjoyable to have the owners right there with their classic cars, and they are all more than willing to talk about them.

Isetta.jpg

This little Isetta was a pristine restoration and just about as cute as could be.

17Maxwell.jpg

A 1917 Maxwell.

32Packard.jpg

1932 Packard.

58Edsel.jpg

A 1958 Edsel.

60Dodge.jpg

A beautiful 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix. I love the push button transmission and the see through speedometer.

59Cad2.jpg

We chatted with the owner of this 59 Cadillac for about 30 minutes. He's quite an interesting gentleman and drives this car to shows all over the country. That's him in the back left corner (cowboy hat) talking to my wife and giving her some promotional photos of the car.

59Cad.jpg

The car was rear ended in Minnesota (by a pickup driver who was texting) about 3 years ago. He had to send it to a shop in South Carolina to get it restored. They did a fantastic job.

Studebakers.jpg

A row of Studebakers.

60Ford.jpg

A 1960 Ford Sunliner that was absolutely stunning.

CadTire.jpg

I found the placement of the valve stem on this Cadillac's wheel interesting.

To cap off the day we had lunch with the Governor of Iowa, Terry Brandstad. He was at the show as one of the judges for the Cadillac class, and he and I talked while we were looking at a 1965 Cadillac. When we sat down to have some lunch he was in line behind us, and since table space was limited we invited him to sit with us. We had a very nice non-political conversation, and it turns out he's quite the "car guy".

Great pics!

But I am quite certain that the one you have labeled as a '32 Packard is NOT a '32 Packard. It's a Caddie...might be a '32...but definitely a Caddie...

Ask me how I know...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Great pics!

But I am quite certain that the one you have labeled as a '32 Packard is NOT a '32 Packard. It's a Caddie...might be a '32...but definitely a Caddie...

Ask me how I know...

You are correct. It was late (for me) when we returned home and I mixed up the 32 Cadillac with the Packard.

Wow, you must have had a great time!

I have always wondered how the owners manage to get the parts for their antiques. I mean he can't call Advanced Auto and pick up new bumper for his 1940 Packard using CCABIN code!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Wow, you must have had a great time!

I have always wondered how the owners manage to get the parts for their antiques. I mean he can't call Advanced Auto and pick up new bumper for his 1940 Packard using CCABIN code!

No, but a surprising number of mechanical parts are available. Google Packard Parts for example, and you'll get lots of hits... A few are NOS (new old stock...leftovers from the old inventory), many are reproduced (common items, like cap and rotor)...but in general, because of the rarity, and low production volume, you'll pay top dollar. Last time that I priced a NorthEast dual-point distributor cap and rotor...it was about $150 for the rotor and $400 for the cap. One enterprising guy has started making new Detroit Lubricator Type 51 updraft carburetors (that a '32 Packard would have)...for about $2,500...

Some parts, particularly body parts, simply have to be fabricated from scratch, which is why, should you ever desire to own a classic car, you should get one that is complete. There are lots and lots of half-finished restorations where the owner severely underestimated the cost of the project...and unless your last name is "Leno"...taking those on can be overwhelming...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Great pics!

Ask me how I know...

Do you have one Astro--if so, what does the engine sound like compared to a 1960s engine? I think (if I am reading the license plate correctly, it is a 1931 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back