Computer recommendations for inpatient AOL user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I do have a Opitplex 755 which I was using for Linux. Bought it with 8.1 off Ebay. Hated it and that is when I started using Linux. I still have the license for 8.1. So I could upgrade to 10. The problem with memory is cost. I just bought 2 gb for my Optiplex 760 for about $11 and change on Ebay. I did not see 4 gb but read a post on Dell that it was not common and expensive. Maybe you could guide me on that one.
I'd suggest looking on Patriot, Crucial, Kingston, etc. for memory.

I recently purchased an off-lease Optiplex 790 SFF with W7-Pro. Really liking it compared to my old P4 Dimension 5150. However, the small case only allows one HD.

Cheers on helping her out and for going the distance taking care of your family members. Maintaining balance between helping out a friend and treated poorly for your efforts though begs further questioning. After all, you're providing a very valuable, technical service..probably for free.

However, when it borders on harrassment, abuse, yelling, etc., they need to be firmly reminded they're out of order, and such outbursts will be taken into consideration when further service is requested.

Don't be a martyr....

Again sage advice.

A few things. After looking installing Windows I realize how much I hate Windows now. It is not worth the hassle. My Optiplex 760 came with Windows Pro but never activated it. Just dual booted to Mint. I only use Windows to do word processing and to run my PDA software at this point. XP works for that.

My Windows 8 license did not work on 755. I am not motivated to find a solution. Found some nice distos of Linux that were fun to play with. So, my days of IT support are limited since I am going another direction. I appreciate the efforts to make a faster computer. I may need that info later.

Some people learn the hard way. I have been one of those. Lost my father at 16. Was lost much of my life. I come to this forum to learn from mature and intelligent people. I am working on keeping things in proper perspective. I am listening. Relationships are complicated.

An easy and free speed gain is to see if she has any programs running in the background that she never uses. Anti-virus/windows defender (#1 culprit), software updates, programs that are started but aren't running like yahoo IM messenger, photo editing software (she will most likely start the program up from desktop anyway if she's a photo taking person like you said). I would start that route before upgrading anything.

With an SSD that thing should be lighting fast even with low memory. I'd see if you can get some cleaning software on there and gut Windows. Or do a nuke and pave.

My laptop is 4GB Macbook Air with a 256MB SSD. I can do lots of stuff with it at a time, including Photoshop and Lightroom work. Yes, it will swap but with the speed of the SSD you don't notice it much at all when it swaps out. I've had up to 4GB swap files on it and it's fine.

Could be the AOL browser but I've found recent versions of Firefox are starting to get bloated and suck.

My guess is it's the usual Windows Bloat and Garbage that accumulates over time and a nuke and pave would be best.

The problem with AOL browser and email is it downloads junk to her computer. That setting maybe could be changed. I agree with paving over. It has been a few years. I have a back-up image and an external hard drive to save important files. Been there and done that. My experience has been programs are loading fast on her computer when I test it. A fresh copy of Windows always makes things better in my experience.

I've learned LOTS from the windows tweaking guide over at Tweakhound. Best guide I've followed to date. Covers all of MS's OS's to date.

Sorry, don't know anything about W8. I went straight from WXP to W7 on my 790 (and now MS wants me to upgrade it to WX. Not likely...)

Geesh, sorry to hear of the loss of your father at 16. I lost both of my parents by 18. I'm all too familiar with being LOST in my early years. It's tough when you have to go through it all alone and do everything YOURSELF.

People ARE complicated. Relationships even MORE so.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sorry for your loss sleddriver and thank you for your kind words.

I appreciate the guidance.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

Walk into any midsize to big box retailer and buy any Windows 10 computer on sale with 4 Megs of ram and 500 mb or larger hardrive and it will be way faster and cheaper then anything you do to your present computer.
Sorry but updating a 32 bit operating system and 5 year old processor is throwing good money after bad, just doesnt make sense to me, unless its a hobby to you of which you do not have the time anymore. I think you both would be better off with a new computer.

Agreed. Linux is more my computer hobby now. A slow Windows computer makes a fast Linux computer.

I like Micro Center for computers. They have a lot of choices.

Pretty sure she would not do well with Windows 1O. I was trying to show her how to used tabbed browsing and she told me I talked too much. That was the end of the lesson.

Learning a newer operating system may be a tall order.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back