Compressor oil?

Nope....Literally oil-less. The crank uses sealed bearings & the piston uses Teflon sealing rings. I laugh everytime I see one!
Well, that's what I get for chiming in half asleep. Thank you for the correction! (y) I honestly thought they were just lifetime fills.

Are all "Oil-less" compressors that way or is it a mix of some with no oil and some with a lifetime fill?

Just the thought of what you said... The horror! 😱

For giggles, I just typed "oilless compressor" into the G machine. It listed ads first, then a single website link, then suggested questions/searches. The first one: "How long do oil less compressors last? While the purchase price and ongoing maintenance is much less, oil-free compressors typically have a product life of around 200 hours, with higher-end units lasting up to 2,000 hours..."

Well, that's what I get for chiming in half asleep. Thank you for the correction! (y) I honestly thought they were just lifetime fills.

Are all "Oil-less" compressors that way or is it a mix of some with no oil and some with a lifetime fill?

Just the thought of what you said... The horror! 😱

For giggles, I just typed "oilless compressor" into the G machine. It listed ads first, then a single website link, then suggested questions/searches. The first one: "How long do oil less compressors last? While the purchase price and ongoing maintenance is much less, oil-free compressors typically have a product life of around 200 hours, with higher-end units lasting up to 2,000 hours..."
Next iteration will be disposable compressors that you tear off of a roll when you need one.

While the purchase price and ongoing maintenance is much less, oil-free compressors typically have a product life of around 200 hours, with higher-end units lasting up to 2,000 hours..."

Just an FYI (mainly for the home owner models- industrial units are radically stronger with precision lubrication systems)

The "oil free" design has always been specifically directed toward applications such as medical, breathing air, instrument air, laboratory air and for some other gasses. ( basically the "less" was to prevent any possibility of contaminating the service air)

The design was never intended for full load service as one routinely uses air but they started cropping up on the market in the 80's as something "new". ( basically cheaper to make)

I personally wouldn't recommend one for general use.

My dads old craftsman oil less is still kicking and it’s 25-30 years old. Normally I wouldn’t have one but this thing has paid for itself several times over. Its on mower/ate tire duty now. My 30 gallon gas and truck mounted unit handle all the air tools now.

Yeah they can last a while, depends on the service factor and run hours though- not a calendar.

Even then, normally valve failure is what kills them, not the bottom end

What I have been running in my 7.5hp CH pump very happy with hot and cold weather performance 8D293E94-D1D6-481B-B49E-A48A6BB59E2E.pngF63FE2C8-DED9-4719-A5A0-AB5A818CA2D3.png

I've been running Mobil 1 20W-50 V Twin for a lot of years in a Craftsman 5HP compressor.

While the purchase price and ongoing maintenance is much less, oil-free compressors typically have a product life of around 200 hours, with higher-end units lasting up to 2,000 hours..."
Have a 60 gallon Craftsman for 15 years that runs nearly every day. If something in the oil-free system breaks, I'll replace it and run another 15 years.

Got a little 8 gallon husky compressor that lives in the garage. Wouldn't run in the winter with the oil that came with it. Wouldn't run the other day in the 20's with Husky synthetic compressor oil (MSDS says it's powermate px full synthetic compressor oil). Did a lot of research. Taking a chance and just running Mobil 1 5w-30 in it, tired of having to move the compressor inside to warm up, it's stupid. Highly doubt running an engine oil with detergents will have a significant detrimental affect on its life. If it does, oh well.

Edit: Basically just tryin to say I wouldn't expect miracles from synthetic compressor oil, I think the stuff I tried was just a synthetic 30wt, which of course will struggle in the cold, but I trusted the claims on the bottom of starts down to 22f, better flow at 0f or some nonsense.

Last edited:
Got a little 8 gallon husky compressor that lives in the garage. Wouldn't run in the winter with the oil that came with it. Wouldn't run the other day in the 20's with Husky synthetic compressor oil (MSDS says it's powermate px full synthetic compressor oil). Did a lot of research. Taking a chance and just running Mobil 1 5w-30 in it, tired of having to move the compressor inside to warm up, it's stupid. Highly doubt running an engine oil with detergents will have a significant detrimental affect on its life. If it does, oh well.
Yep... aint the space shuttle and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. A guy could just change it again when the weather warms up if it bothers you.

I try to keep my compressor full so if we need air for a tire, it’s there without turning the motor on.

Another stupid thing I thought about is adding a magnetic oil pan heater pad to the pump. Plug it in an hr or so before use when it’s cold.

Edit: Basically just tryin to say I wouldn't expect miracles from synthetic compressor oil, I think the stuff I tried was just a synthetic 30wt, which of course will struggle in the cold, but I trusted the claims on the bottom of starts down to 22f, better flow at 0f or some nonsense.
Been running Amsoil PCI ISO 46 compressor oil for winter use in my Harbor Freight 8 gallon compressor no start up issue yet in cold weather.

Back