Compressor oil?

I just came back from my local Walmart and scored 2 bottles of ND30 for $1 each. IMG_20201030_202424.jpg

I'm in the northeast I dont know why sae 20 ND Is not a popular item. I don't recall seeing it that often
Some of the old mom and pop auto parts stores still carry it in my area but those store are going away fast. Those are the stores where you can get good advice from people who know what they are talking about, not these chain stores.

Some of the old mom and pop auto parts stores still carry it in my area but those store are going away fast. Those are the stores where you can get good advice from people who know what they are talking about, not these chain stores.
You got that right. In my area we have a local hardware store multi generational owned since 1888 they have knowledge and advice that just can’t be bought at the big box stores. Also their dated inventory mixed with the new it’s amazing what they have.

A while back I got a great deal on Redline's synthetic compressor oil. @Trav told me about it. I bought enough to last me a very long time. For what I paid for it I see no reason not to use compressor oil in both my compressors.

I would use a detergent straight 30 latest spec would be fine, ND is IMHO for large industrils compressors with high heat where you do not want addtive ash frmation or ash deposits to cloge up the head.

home use use detergent, keeps it clean and from unkown history may help to de gunk it..

Well I have an update. My friend filled me in on the details. The motor/pump is newly rebuilt (about 50 service hours ago). Supposedly mud daubers got to the motor during a period of time where it wasn't in use and not all of the debris came out after the discovery. But it ran for about 3 years this way before needing rebuilt. He seemed pretty knowledgeable with it, and hooked it all up (including a new electrical setup) without a hitch. I cringed a bit at the completely dry and caked K&N-style air filter that he said to "blow out" once in a while (that will be gone asap, he gave me permission to change it). But the oil? He said to literally use any 30 "weight" (I hate that word, it's viscosity...) I want, as long as I keep the sight half full of oil. 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, SAE30, ND30... Does not matter. So especially considering the filter, I'll change the 'mystery' garbage oil with probably a 5W-30 or 10W-30 to help it out with the couple of inevitable cold (+5°
Since some of you pointed out that it is technically the incorrect oil and will keep contaminants suspended, I'll just change it per the manufacturer's overkill schedule. After I change it, I'll keep my eyes peeled for ND30 on the cheap.

Why not, let's do a poll ;). What oil from my extensive stash should I use? Here are the options:

Mobil Super Synthetic 10W-30 SN
Mobil Super HM 10W-30 SN or SN Plus
PYB 10W-30 SN
GTX 10W-30 SN Plus
Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-30 SN or SN Plus
Mobil Super HM 5W-30 SN or SN Plus
Magnatec 5W-30 SN Plus
M1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 SN Plus
M1 5W-30 SN Plus
RGT 5W-30 SN
PYB 5W-30 SN or SN Plus
GTX 5W-30 SN Plus
NAPA Synthetic 5W-30 SN Plus
VWB 5W-30 SN

Or a frankenbrew of these since I only have 1 last quart of each:
Mobil Super 5000 5W-30 SN
VWB 10W-30 SN

Personally, I'm leaning away from the full synthetics except for the Mobil Super Synthetics due to only having 5 quart jugs. Without much thought, I'm leaning toward the frankenbrew to get rid of those last two quarts. But I think I'll actually use whatever the popular answer is below.

Do you have pics of the pump I believe this is a CH if it is I have similar but larger pump. Will run on anything keep sight glass NO more than half I am a fan of dedicated compressor oils myself.

The compressor belongs to your friend so use what he says.

I've been using PCMO in my compressors for the last 50 years. Usually 10w-30 or 10w-40. When I was turning wrenches in diesel shops we used 15w-40 (probably the most neglected tool in the shop). I change it when it looks dirty. Probably every 5 to 10 years. Keep the air cleaner clean (if it has one) and drain the tank water at least daily (when used).

The service intervals in the OP's post are for commercial use. Running all day 5 or 6 days a week.

My advice, start with the oldest first (FIFO)- grab and go
At 1,370 quarts, that is practiced religiously. I just figured two quarts wouldn't break me. The frankenbrew option would be the FIFO answer in this case. I'll consider that a vote.

Do you have pics of the pump I believe this is a CH if it is I have similar but larger pump. Will run on anything keep sight glass NO more than half I am a fan of dedicated compressor oils myself.
This is the best I can do (I'm not near it today). This was right after we took it off the cherry picker. It's not a looker, but it runs like a champ.
20201102_083939.jpg

Reactions: JC1
Back