Completed Windows 10 Anniversary Update - 1607

Status
Not open for further replies.
My less than 6 month old Dell laptop that came with Windows 10 decided overnight to "upgrade" all on it's own last night after it was shut down properly. Found the computer on this morning. Got the message this morning that the "new" upgrade was installed and spent 15 minutes of SLOWLY telling me how much better it is. I was able to use the computer after that, fine ok, with some issues. I shut it down properly for an hour and restarted it. Message on screen says not shut down properly and gave me the opportunity restart or advanced options. I tried restart and now it is in a loop and keeps coming back to that screen. I even tried advance options and everyone brings me back to that screen. Luckily my wife is computer savvy, I am not, and will hopefully be able to fix this MS issue. If you're not computer savvy you can be in for "a whole heap of misery". What ticks me off is I paid for Windows 10 through Dell, so what gives MS the right to decide for me, without my permission, for them to automatically TRY to upgrade. Enough of my rant
mad.gif

Whimsey

WOW!

Updated my laptop today to the Anniversary Edition update 1607 from the previous 1511 and a totally different experience for me. No actual/real problems cropped up, I mean it worked okay after, it was just unbelievably S-L-O-W to do it plus performance after the update was degraded and S-L-O-W as well( especially boot up ). Took over 6 hours to complete the update with tons of restarts. I was thinking maybe it was going to fail a few times but it finally completed the update.

Found some things to try online to speed it up and after some work it is now zooming along. Applied the same steps to my desktop and it is a little faster now too. The biggest improvements were cutting boot times down. My laptop never booted fast but after the 1607 update it was taking 3-4 minutes to fully boot. Now down to 55 seconds. My desktop is around 30-35 seconds.

My gaming desktop upgraded the other night. I didn't notice any noticeable performance improvements. Now the new AMD video drivers on the other hand. WOW.

If your update fails, here is the fix...

When Windows 10 Anniversary Update finishes downloading, and before it installs,
Disconnect your network connection...

Worked for me...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
If your update fails, here is the fix...

When Windows 10 Anniversary Update finishes downloading, and before it installs,
Disconnect your network connection...

Worked for me...

I might have to give that a try one of these days.

Updated 3rd system, another laptop, to 1607. Other than it taking a while( old laptop )it went ok.

Got 5 left to do in the coming weeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back