Comparing continental terrain contact AT vs Yokohama GO15?

Hello, I’m about to replace tires on the truck. Ive currently been using the continental terrain contact AT and have been very pleased with them. On road manners of a hwy tire with enough prowess for the light and minimal off highway use, mostly involving camp sites, towing, and fire roads. The wet manners of this tire are the best I’ve had. The only possible downside is it’s a pretty tight, live tire - transmits a bit of minor cracks/gravel to the truck. They are terrific all-arounders.

the yoko geolander GO15 has very comparable reviews with a little more absorption, but a .7mpg decrease per tire rack and subjectively a slight hit in wet grip, with a slight increase in snow grip.

I’ll be hard-pressed to stray from the continentals, but before I commit to them I thought I’d check and see if anyone has anything to say about the Yokohama’s.

close on the list is the falken at/3. They appear to be made by sumitomo, which I know little about. They are heavier and I can’t find anything on wet stopping distance, which is a metric I‘m keen on based on how we use the vehicle here.

Continentals do have some comments from installers of having a bit more runout than they like to see, but in general the tires score high from drivers.

any experience with the yoko GO15 AT?

meep

I'm surprised you ran a set of conti AT's out already.. they are pretty new to market?

I'm surprised you ran a set of conti AT's out already.. they are pretty new to market?
you are right - they aren’t done yet, probably about halfway approaching 20k. I pieced together a set of Ford OEM “Hollander” wheels for cheap on eBay since a bunch are being replaced due to PVD paint failure. It’s been a winter project going out there and sanding off weak spots and refinishing them. while I feel a little sheepish about that, i will say the siping is disappearing and the noise is increasing, so I’ve probably gotten the best miles from them at this point.

I can't comment on the Conti's but I have had great luck with the GO15 AT's on my 1999 Sierra. When my 2017 Canyon is due for tires I will install them on it. Long lasting and quiet. Good traction.

I was happy with their predecessor the yoko geolandar AT/S

The geolandar I would expect to be better in winter and below freezing and have worse wet traction--mainly because the continentials have Outstanding wet traction, but they are fairly similar mild AT type tires. If one was 20$ cheaper a tire I would be happy with either.

The Titan has G015s on it. Quiet, fine on the highway, fine on dirt, wet fine but we don't get much, never had them in mud, not real impressed in some snow driving on back roads. I came from Pa so I know what good snow traction feels like. As Rand said it's a very tame AT tire, looks like an A/S.

Thank you. I’m going to give the GO15 a try. They are priced within $7 at discount tire. Why not? Order placed.

End results: yoko GO15s went on today. As stated before, the outgoing continentals had about half their tread left, but this was mostly driven by a new-to-me set of ford oem wheels I’d been refinishing during Covid.

the yokos make a touch more noise on the interstate, but it’s just a touch. The big surprise was this: I’d had the truck aligned about 3000 miles ago for a pull to one side and slightly uncentered wheel. It came back with the wheel centered-ish, but the steering was uneven just off center - meaning, to the right it would steer immediately and to the left it sort of wandered around and would slowly start to turn in. It would snap to one side but wander to the other. I figured the tech who did the alignment just didn’t dial it in. Nope, incorrect. The truck now tracks razor’s edge dead nuts centered with symmetric off-center response. There was something off in one of the outgoing tires.

id read a couple of posts from tire installers saying they’d seen more runout on the continentals “than they like to see,” but with no driveability or balance issues. That was enough to lean me towards trying something else. Maybe there’s something to that. Either way, they roll good, look good, and I’m pleased with the results. thanks for the feedback here.

the yokos make a touch more noise on the interstate, but it’s just a touch. The big surprise was this: I’d had the truck aligned about 3000 miles ago for a pull to one side and slightly uncentered wheel. It came back with the wheel centered-ish, but the steering was uneven just off center - meaning, to the right it would steer immediately and to the left it sort of wandered around and would slowly start to turn in. It would snap to one side but wander to the other. I figured the tech who did the alignment just didn’t dial it in. Nope, incorrect. The truck now tracks razor’s edge dead nuts centered with symmetric off-center response. There was something off in one of the outgoing tires.
I experienced the same issue with a set of PureContact LS tires on my wife's Accord.

Back