Company Car Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been given the assignment by my CEO to look into getting a new company car for our cardiology group. We currently have a '98 Taurus with 62K miles that I drive from the office daily to pick up our mail and make deposits at the bank. On average, I drive it 80-90 miles a week. A couple of years ago after seeing what we were charged (one of the benefits of working in the accounting department) by a shop for a tune-up on one of our vans ($13 PER spark plug!), I told them that from now on I'd volunteer to do the routine maintenance on the Taurus, since that's the one I drive. Just two weeks ago I changed its plugs, tranny fluid & filter, and changed the oil for all of $78. These little efforts to save the company money (and the fact my boss told the CEO this) go a long way...especially since next month's my review.
thumbsup2.gif
Well, when I was running through the gears the other weekend after I put the transmission fluid in, I noticed when I put my foot on the break, the pedal went to the floor. Me thinks this isn't good! I get out and see a puddle of brake fluid below the driver's side. Sure enough, a brake line rusted through. Fortunately it happened while it was sitting in my driveway and not on I-65 on my way back to the office. The car sits out at the office 24/7/365 and the elements and the winters took its toll. So after the $500 job at the shop for new brake lines on a $3K car, it was decided that since the AC needs replaced at $1K+, that it was time to buy something newer. YES! Nothing better than spending someone else's money for my benefit!

I've been given a set of parameters to work with. First, it must be an "American" company...Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, etc. Since the CEO isn't a car gal, I don't think I better say anything about most American cars are made outside of the US and most foreign cars are made in the US. Remember....my review's next month. So, I had mentioned to her that on the GM side, a Malibu is similar in size to the Taurus. She said we should stick with a price range of $10,000-$12,000, and nothing larger than a mid-size.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for opinions. I'm guessing we'll end up with a Cavalier or Cobalt (she seemed to stress going small) since I prefer Chevy of the American makes. I was looking at the newer Malibus that have the 2.2 4 bangers that are rated around 34mpg on the highway. For those of you experienced Ecotec owners (regardless of what it's in), what are your opinions of the engine? I drove my nephew's '04 Cav the other week and I was really impressed with the pep. As for the cars themselves, are Malibus, Cobalts/Cavaliers junk? I've no idea about Ford products these days other than the 10 year old piece o'crud I've been driving at work for the past 5 years. Chrysler products?? Suggestions welcome!

For $10-12K there is not alot of choices.

The Cobalt would be a nice car for a person who isn't paying a penny for their company car.

I'd take a 07 Malibu with the 3.5L VVT V6. You could definitely find one with low miles in your price range.

Used Hyundai Sonata. The LEAST-complained about car at Car-Max. Tell the CEO that there's a Hyundai plant just below Montgomery, Alabama.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Are you allowed to pick a used car ???

If so, then you got lots of choices.

Yeah, we're getting a new "used" car. Nothing "new".

Cobalt or Malibu with the 2.2 Ecotec would be a solid choice. This engine is very reliable and extremely easy to perform DIY stuff on. I think the 2.2 is one Chevy's best engine right now.

If it has to be a domestic nameplate, I would suggest a 2 year old "lease return" Ford Fusion. These cars have a good rep and are built on the Mazda 6 platform.

Even Consumer Reports likes and rates the Fusion highly. Most unusual for them considering it's an "American branded" vehicle
shocked2.gif
!

Whimsey

FORD - Plenty of '06-'07 Ford Focus' with under 20k miles in your price range. Not gonna find a Fusion unless its miled up.

CHEVY - Chevy Cobalts are price similar to Focus'. '06-'07 Malibu LS 4 cyl is doable at that price.

CHRYSLERBERUS - '07 PT Cruiser is doable. Dodge? You might find a miley Caliber but you're 12-18 months for them to be in your price range.

ALternative choices - '06 Nissan Sentra or Mitsubishi Lancer. What about an '05-'06 Pontiac Vibe? '06-'07 Saturn Ion?

Reliability: Pontiac Vibe (it's a matrix in American skin)
Handling: Focus ZX
Price: Older Malibu
Fun to drive and size: Fusion if you can find one for that price

Stay away from Chrysler stuff for now due to horrible interior plastic.

I consider the Honda Civic an 'American' car since its made here in the USA.

Personally, I really like the Honda Civic. Easy to work on, great gas mileage, quiet at highway speeds, decent brakes, comfortable seats, smooth shifting trans.....etc, etc.

+1 on the Vibe...aka Matrix. Since the CEO wants American..all she will see is its a Pontiac. Great reliability and fuel economy. Look for one with side airbags if possible.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
+1 on the Vibe...aka Matrix. Since the CEO wants American..all she will see is its a Pontiac. Great reliability and fuel economy. Look for one with side airbags if possible.

I brought up the Vibe this morning to the powers that be and explained how it's American & foreign at the same time. I mentioned it's the same chassis & engine as a Corolla and went on to let them know of the reliability of my wife's '04 Corolla, etc, etc. and provided a link to one for sale in town. They seemed to really like the idea and we're meeting at 2pm to discuss. We'll see....

Do you know by chance which models of the Vibe have the side impact airbags? I know on the Corolla they were on the LE, but I didn't know if Vibes have various submodels.

I think it was a stand alone option and not part of any trim package.

If you search on http://www.autotrader.com and click more search options you can specify "side airbags" in the search. There's lots of them avail for 12900..take at least 2k off of that when negotiating.

I think the Vibe would be an EXCELLENT choice. Lots of people on this site have them, and are getting really good service out of them. If it goes through, you won't regret the choice. You'll also notice the gas savings over the Taurus...IF I was looking for a vehicle, this would be near the top of my list.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back