Common tests that all oils undergo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many people, I'm sure, I'm trying to identify the "benchmark" tests that all good oils are subjected to, and then learn how to interpret those results. Do these "standard" tests exist?

For example, I saw a post that was comparing Amsoil oils and the poster referred to: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D 445), Kinematic Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D 445), Viscosity Index (ASTM D 2270), CCS Viscosity, cP @ (ºC) (ASTM D 5293), NOACK Volatlty, %wt loss (g/100g) (ASTM D 5800), and High-Temperature/High-Shear Viscosity @ 150ºC, 1.0 X 106 s.-1, cP (ASTM D 5481). When I look at the specs for different oils, I see similar verbiage (but not always verbatim).

In short, I'm trying to learn how to best compare oils in a systematic fashion. I'll accept whatever advice anyone has to offer as a starting point!

smile.gif

Thank you,
Ed

The primary thing you should focus on is the oil specification called for in your owner's manual. Sometimes it's an industry specification, and sometimes it's a car manufacturer specification. Each one consists of a battery of test that make up that specification.

Looking at things like viscosity doesn't necessarily help because it's OK to have different viscosities depending on application.

FYI, if you're interested in reading about various specs and the tests that they're comprised of, take a look here:

http://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf

Thank you Pete.

I guess, fundamentally, what I'm asking is: when you're looking at different brands of oil (assuming their all the same grade or "weight"), how would you decide which is the best quality based purely on their statistical data? Surely there's a way to "cut the best one out of the herd".

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I guess, fundamentally, what I'm asking is: when you're looking at different brands of oil (assuming their all the same grade or "weight"), how would you decide which is the best quality based purely on their statistical data?

For my BMW, I look for an oil that meets BMW LL-01 spec. It's a fairly stringent spec, so not too many oils meet it. But the ones that do, I consider them pretty much equivalent in quality, so at that point I select based on price and availability.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but sometimes we tend to over analyze things, and there really is no need to.

Aside from that, you need to know what your application is. Otherwise, you don't know what's a "good number" or a "bad number". Take HT/HS viscosity for example. Some engine manufacturers require it to be high (above 3.5 cP). Others recommend that it be low. If you don't know that, you can't really choose the right oil.

Thank you again Pete.

smile.gif

O.K., so I have a Toyota Tacoma with the 2.4 liter motor and my manual says "SAE 5W-30, API grade SL “Energy-Conserving” or
ILSAC multigrade engine oil." I'm no expert, but that sounds like a pretty low bar to achieve, don't you think?

In other vehicles, I've typically used Mobil 1 (and been happy with), but I'm also considering Amsoil. Without starting a mud-slinging match, I'm just trying to systematically decide which might be a better oil by examining their "specs".

Ed

Both Ams and M1 meet the spec Use which ever makes you feel the best with the seat of the pants dyno! The Toyota engine doesn't require a high stress rated oil.

The manufacturers do not publish the actual performance data for all of the tests they conduct to pass the long list of specs (API, Drxos, etc). This is why you can not make a conclusion about which oil is better.

Looking only at the specs, M1 0W-40 is the king. M1 and M1 EP 5W-30 both meet HTO-06. That's a good thing and either will be a better oil than your engine needs.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
O.K., so I have a Toyota Tacoma with the 2.4 liter motor and my manual says "SAE 5W-30, API grade SL “Energy-Conserving” or
ILSAC multigrade engine oil." I'm no expert, but that sounds like a pretty low bar to achieve, don't you think?

In other vehicles, I've typically used Mobil 1 (and been happy with), but I'm also considering Amsoil. Without starting a mud-slinging match, I'm just trying to systematically decide which might be a better oil by examining their "specs".Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back