Come Mr. Tallyman and tally me banana,
Daylight come and me wan go home.
Me say, come Mr. Tallyman and tally me banana,
Lift six, and seven, and eight, and bunch,
350835920_966657268086898_2744428015817631796_n.jpg

Reactions: GON
GON, something we seem to take for granted here in the North America is the complexity of the bannana supply chain.

Have L@@K and read.

Wt,

Thanks for posting. A few weeks ago I was working in Honolulu, and although I should not have been, I was surprised the local Kroger got their bananas from Central America. I think I also read a article that said China is not the world's second largest banana producer. They barely produced any bananas 70 years ago.

It's funny reading some of the old magazine and news article from the late 1920s and the 1930s and realizing how scarce and exotic bananas were in the US and how expensive they were. Today you can get them in any grocery and they're cheap. The same can be same out oranges; for people that lived in the northern US oranges before WW-II were expensive and rarely available except as a special and expensive Christmas treat. One of my great grandfathers and my grandfather were among the largest orange growers in the state of Florida in the early 1900s they had oranges up to their eyeballs. Every year my GF would drive truck loads of oranges to the northern states and sell them and bring back northern grown produce.

The same can be same out oranges; for people that lived in the northern US oranges before WW-II were expensive and rarely available except as a special and expensive Christmas treat.

So true! My dad, a product of the depression in NYC, used to give us kids oranges in our stockings as a special treat. For he still thought of them as rare and hard to obtain. In the 60’s every store had them pretty much year round and we always seemed to have them in our refrigerator. Mom let him have the tradition but by late Christmas morning the oranges were collected from the stockings and put back in the refrigerator. :)

Yeah, in the late 1950s we still got oranges in our Christmas stockings too. But by that time we lived, literally, in the middle of an huge orange grove and I could reach out the window and pick all of the oranges that I wanted, so I never understood why my parents gave us oranges in our stockings. Old traditions die hard I guess.

A friend of mine was born in England and a while back he mentioned that his father (born about 1933 I think) grew up in WW-II and they always had severe food shortages and that his father never even saw an orange until 1953. He said that he ate one and it made him sick as a dog! He pointed out that they still had food rationing in England until 1956! :oops:

My parents, grant parents, great grand parents, aunts, uncles, etc all grew up on farms and most went into farming so food was the one thing that no one in any of my families ever lacked for even during the Great Depression and during WW-II.

A banana grove can be a fun route to drive through. This one is in the deep south of India.

Thanks for posting. The video you posted led me to this video. Hard working/ life people in this video, and some comic relief I suspect. I think the video shows the beginning of a banana grove.

I’ve picked up a lot of bananas at Port Manatee and Port Everglades in Florida right off the boat. Trucks would be lined up waiting to get loaded but Once to the loading dock, a 53’ trailer could be loaded in less than 30 minutes as the many fork lifts were in and out of the ship in a matter of minutes. Dole had refrigerated container trailers as well where we would check in and receive a trailer number then hook up and go.

Tally is such an old and odd expression. Tally Ho doesn't seem related to counting does it?
Tally-ho is the traditional cry made by the huntsman to tell others the quarry has been sighted. It may also be used with directions, including "away" and "back".

First used in fox-hunting, it was adapted in the 19th century to describe some horse-drawn vehicles and in the 20th century to advise of enemy aircraft and space junk.

Tally is a count.

So no, they are not related.

Thanks for posting. The video you posted led me to this video. Hard working/ life people in this video, and some comic relief I suspect. I think the video shows the beginning of a banana grove.
This is a rice field. Bananas don’t grow on flooded land.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back