Comcast upped my speed today

Spectrum, paying for 300 getting 286 in and 6 out. High winds have caused a Spectrum service outage in your area.........

I pay $111.00 for 500mbps with their modem/voice landline as well. (Been a customer for almost 11 years). I decided that was too expensive. I spent an hour on their "customer chat". I threated to cancel-they could care less. They said-300mpbs would be a whole $11.00 less/month.
They are the only high speed provider in my area-that's the issue. I got a whole $10.00 one month credit for my effort.
There is talk of a city owned fiber network so various broadband companies can compete for our business.

I pay $111.00 for 500mbps with their modem/voice landline as well. (Been a customer for almost 11 years). I decided that was too expensive. I spent an hour on their "customer chat". I threated to cancel-they could care less. They said-300mpbs would be a whole $11.00 less/month.
They are the only high speed provider in my area-that's the issue. I got a whole $10.00 one month credit for my effort.
There is talk of a city owned fiber network so various broadband companies can compete for our business.
I pay that for 5 mbps. 5... not 500

AT&T FIber is available 500ft from our address. As soon as it becomes available at our address we'll switch. Despite the good download speeds I'm not happy with the lousy upload speeds Comcast offers. I'd gladly give up some download to get more upload!

In the Charlotte, NC (I'm in Indian Land, SC) we pay $89 for 600MB up/down. 1GB up/Down is like $109 and 2GB up/down is like $124.99.

Everything in our house connects via wi-fi and my mesh system is only capable of 500mb up/down anyway, so just sticking with what we have.

Yes, it seems like standard practice now, cable companies are increasing the Internet speeds, which will then be followed with a price hike to justify it.
They will take away the option to have your original slower speed at the original or lower price
It all means more revenue to them.

I don’t recall getting an email but my upload speed is now 20mbps instead of 10. Download is still 400.

Last edited:
They are the only high speed provider in my area-that's the issue.
They know their markets and what competition, if any, there is, and they'll negotiate or stand firm depending on the circumstances.

Spectrum, paying for 300 getting 286 in and 6 out.
In my experience of ~15+ years with their internet, you should be getting 15-20% higher than the advertised speed. Depending on the time of day, yeah, you can see slowdowns, but not often. It's almost 6pm here, I pay for 300/10 service, and I get this....

1710539507952.jpg

They know their markets and what competition, if any, there is, and they'll negotiate or stand firm depending on the circumstances.

In my experience of ~15+ years with their internet, you should be getting 15-20% higher than the advertised speed. Depending on the time of day, yeah, you can see slowdowns, but not often. It's almost 6pm here, I pay for 300/10 service, and I get this....

View attachment 208500
There are a couple other providers with abysmal speeds. Yep-Comcast knows this.

Back