COMCAST - Modem / Router recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 24-month contract with Comcast Xfinity internet comes up in the next week or two. Currently, the modem is included, so I am not paying extra to rent it. I've been researching new promotions lately, but the lower speed tiers do not include the modem.

I'm thinking it would make economical sense if I purchased a modem and router outright, so that depending on the cost (less than $200?), the breakeven will be less than two years.

What modem / router do BITOG members use and recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Yes that could happen. Recommendations depend on a few things. What speed internet package are you purchasing and how large is your home/apartment? Where is the antenna going to be located? Optimally, it will be located centrally in the house but higher up.

I consider at a minimum gigabit wired ethernet, with wireless N...

Linksys EA2700 meets those standards, and works well for me,
but is aging, and cannot keep up with todays speeds...

I have a Arris SBG6782-AC, it is comparable with Xfinity .It’s older,had it about 6 years now. Runs up to 300 mbts download. Works great for me. I purchased it at Best Buy and have had zero issues.

The speed of the internet package will either be 60 or 150 mbps. The house is about 2,000 sq. feet.

There are websites that will tell you which one is compatible with Comcast. Usually all the Arris ones are fine. Don't get a used one as many are stolen and once you try to activate it on Comcast, they will demand it back. This bundle is decent for $101, Arris SB6183 good for up to 686 Mbps and comes with an A/C 1750 router separately. I normally like that kind of set up better than all in one because if the modem or router goes, you've got to replace the whole thing.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-AC1750-Router/dp/B06XDML2R9

If you want a cheap all in one, this refurbished SBG6782AC is only $75. Good for 343 Mbps and has AC1750 built in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013KWDFYM

Use a two-box system of modem + router. The all in ones are much less flexible in what they can do and often have performance issues.

A terrific two box system is a perfect match for you.

I am currently using a TP Link Cable Modem and separate TP Link AC 1750 router. Rock SOLID combination for about $140.00 sometimes less if on sale.

These have been out for about 2 years and why the good prices. I have been personally using them for 1.5 years on my 100 Mbps connection with at LEAST 15 different devices in my home hooked up to them.

Here is the Modem, Click

Here is the router, Click

Or you can do your own search, I certainly am not promoting Amazon, in fact I avoid Amazon at all cost, but short on time running to work.

Search TP Link Archer C7 AC 1750 for the router

and

TP Link Cable modem for the modem

You wont be disappointed, fantastic combination and a price point that is almost stupid cheap compared to the others.

Last edited:
Although the TC-7610 says "up to" 343 Mbps, Comcast wants you to use a 16x4 modem such as the TC-7620 for plans higher than 150 Mbps.

Both are excellent modems. They are physically smaller and seem to make less heat than the typical Arris.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
Although the TC-7610 says "up to" 343 Mbps, best Comcast modem router wants you to use a 16x4 modem such as the TC-7620 for plans higher than 150 Mbps.

Both are excellent modems. They are physically smaller and seem to make less heat than the typical Arris.

I am also looking a good router modem for my comcast connection. Would you please tell me, which is the good for v ideo games streaming?

I have a Zoom 16x4 DOCSIS 3 modem and a Linksys WRT1200AC router. I found the router on Craigslist for $20, it was originally a $200 router. It's probably the best I've used, I see it as a modern day WRT54GL.

The all-in-one Arris gateways are no slouch either, the latest ones have an Intel Atom CPU and are fashioned after the reference design Comcast created - but not handicapped with Xfinity firmware on the router side. Comcast did issue a pretty good Cisco DPC3941 gateway that was Intel Atom powered but it was 24x4 DOCSIS 3. It had the best wifi performance I saw from a provider-supplied gateway IMO.

I just ran a demo of Comcast x-fi web with pods. The blistering speed and range outweighs the cons of a lack of control like you get on a private router. I have a 3K sf house so the range of 5g+ is no longer an issue. And I don't have ugly routers and range expanders with antennas plugged into outlets all over the house. Now I can leave the modem and router combo will all its flashing lights and cables nicely tucked away and hidden from View in the basement

Originally Posted By: reemoe2
The speed of the internet package will either be 60 or 150 mbps. The house is about 2,000 sq. feet.

Its really simple, this combination will give you all you need and more then you will use.
Rock solid equipment, from a rock solid company, been using these two for a few years now on my 100 Mbs connection in my 3000 sq ft house, with no less then a dozen and most likely more wifi devices, 4 or 5 Roku streaming players too.

PLUS my wifes work router plugged into the back of the TP link!
Never needs a restart, its just works, the only disappoint you may have is you will think the price is too cheap to be any good, if so then read some professional reviews.

TP LINK CABLE MODEM - Click

TP LINK ROUTER - Click

You can always spend more if you wish and I am soll on TP Link Equipment, not to say the others are bad, not at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back