Combustion leak tester, white smoke from Corolla

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I was talking with my sister yesterday and she mentioned that her 100,000-mile 1999 Corolla was emitting white smoke. I'm figuring it's the head gasket and suggested she test it with a combustion leak tester. I'd like to recommend one to her so she can inexpensively do the test herself ... any brand or model that you'd suggest?

I was talking with my sister yesterday and she mentioned that her 100,000-mile 1999 Corolla was emitting white smoke. I'm figuring it's the head gasket and suggested she test it with a combustion leak tester. I'd like to recommend one to her so she can inexpensively do the test herself ... any brand or model that you'd suggest?
Shel, just have her go to Autozone/Advance Auto/O'Reilly's and get the free loaner tool. You just have to leave a fully refundable deposit and it would be courteous to purchase the consumable test fluid from the store instead of online (e.g., Amazon, eBay, etc.).

AUTOZONE Loaner Tool

Either it's burning oil (the catalyst turns it white) or the car is short tripped and burning off water vapor.

I'd have her monitor the coolant level and call it good if it doesn't need more than a cup every six months.

Is she certain it was white smoke? those Corolla's are known to be pretty bad oil burners, I rarely ever see head gasket failures on them.

Also Harbor Freight sells a combustion leak test kit, good to have on hand either way.

Thanks for the quick responses and all your suggestions. They've been passed along to my sister.

Last edited:
That liquid combustion tester is next to worthless. I would use either a gas analyzer in the overflow tank, or pressure test the cooling system and pull the plugs out. You may even find it by pulling the plugs and see which one is steam cleaned.

That liquid combustion tester is next to worthless. I would use either a gas analyzer in the overflow tank, or pressure test the cooling system and pull the plugs out. You may even find it by pulling the plugs and see which one is steam cleaned.
This. Pulling the plugs while the engine is warm with pressure on the cooling system and have someone spin the engine over. The cylinder getting coolant will blow it out as a mist and/or steam.

I must admit I have near zero experience with them but I just watched a Watch Wes Work -- albeit on a diesel -- which seems to strongly support this.

I just ASSumed they work well but lots of anecdotal that they're a waste of time (I reco skeptics read the vid comments, too)

I must admit I have near zero experience with them but I just watched a Watch Wes Work -- albeit on a diesel -- which seems to strongly support this.

I just ASSumed they work well but lots of anecdotal that they're a waste of time (I reco skeptics read the vid comments, too)

My preferred method is tying into the system and running a gauge into the cabin and drive it looking for pressure spikes on acceleration or total system overpressurization, but the other ways I mentioned will work too. But my preferred method seems to be most effective finding combustion gas into cooling system only leaks.

Reactions: D60
My preferred method is tying into the system and running a gauge into the cabin and drive it looking for pressure spikes on acceleration or total system overpressurization, but the other ways I mentioned will work too. But my preferred method seems to be most effective finding combustion gas into cooling system only leaks.
Is there a certain section of the cooling system that tends to work best for this?

Is there a certain section of the cooling system that tends to work best for this?
most degas bottles (pressurized) have small hoses going to the bottle. I usually tie into those. If not I tie into the smallest hose possible on the system. I make my own adapters.

Can you give some info on what analyzer? Amazon has a bunch starting at $30, before I buy one would the cheap ones be sufficient? For myself, not a pro.

I have a Northstar losing coolant but liquid test is negative, don't see a leak. Orange coolant (it has been replaced about 5 years ago) smells funky. I've done HG's on them before but certainly don't look forward to it.

Can you give some info on what analyzer? Amazon has a bunch starting at $30, before I buy one would the cheap ones be sufficient? For myself, not a pro.

I have a Northstar losing coolant but liquid test is negative, don't see a leak. Orange coolant (it has been replaced about 5 years ago) smells funky. I've done HG's on them before but certainly don't look forward to it.

I wouldn’t use any liquid tester. I’d put the piston at TDC compression and apply shop air into the cylinder and look for bubbles in the radiator.

A seat of the pants way to tell if the head gasket is bad is to get the engine up to full temperature and then park it over night so that the engine is at the ambient temperature. Pop the hood and squeeze the upper radiator hose. If the hose is soft and compresses easily the head gasket is likely ok. If it's had it's likely the head gasket is bad.

Back