COLORED brake fluid.

Years ago ATE had a blue colored DOT4 which made it easy to tell when to stop bleeding brakes. Are there any other brake fluids with coloring in them? Last I heard ATE is "banned" (maybe that is too harsh of a term) from selling the blue fluid.

years ago margarine could not be colored, it was white. Every 1 LB tub contained a pack of dye you could mix in so it looked like butter.

Ate could include a small pouch of die that you cut off the end and pour in the brake fluid and mix. They could have red and blue, so you can tell every bleed if you are racing and change every race.

Rod

Only if you don't change it often enough. ;)
Every 2 years is recommended. I've seen it turn light amber in 6 months. After 2 years it shouldn't be too hard to tell. Regardless, if you're using a typical quart bottle of fluid, I've found it takes less than a quarter of the bottle per wheel before the fluid comes out clear. Dole it out accordingly, and you don't have to worry about seeing the color change.

Super Blue Racing did not comply with DOT regulations, so Conti withdrew it from the market. (read the letter, ignore the stupid rant)

In my experience, I always thought the color change thing was oversold anyway, and disliked how the dye stained the fluid reservoir, albeit not permanently. Or how, despite one's best efforts to suck the reservoir dry of the old blue fluid, the remaining unreachable traces would invariably mix with and tint the fresh fluid.

If you can't tell when fresh fluid is flowing from the bleeder, even during bi-annual changes, you've got bigger problems.

Typ 200 was/is the exact same fluid, without the dye, so nothing of value was lost.

I ran it but found it stained reservoirs. I didn’t really have an issue seeing the difference in color when it’s really aged or overheated.

Though I agree brake fluid should be regulated because of the huge safety impact it has, I struggle to think of a reason why color should be a a part of it. If you want to make a unique color, clear & amber doesn't do it, because that's the same as motor oil, gear oil, etc.

Part of the Continental letter seemed to imply that the potential to confuse another lubricant product with brake fluid was part of the reason for the color requirement, but that makes zero sense, as the most common automotive fluids are extremely similar in color to clear/amber brake fluid.

I'm sure a dye can be hand added for those that need visual confirmation that brakes are completely bled.

FMVSS 116 has been the law since 1972, long before Super Blue came out.
Clear to amber for DOT3/4/5.1 non-silicone
purple for DOT 5 silicone
green for mineral oil (the LHM used in some Euro cars)

If you really want the dye, you can probably get it somewhere :sneaky:

Really? what's the wisdom behind that? I think I have seen it listed on Tire Rack as "amber" in color.
Using the correct brake fluid (either DOT 5 silicone or non DOT 5 silicone) is such a critically important concern for automobile safety, they regulate it so there can be absolutely no confusion as to what fluid you are using. It is either purple, or not purple. If it isn't purple is can be anywhere from clear to light amber in color, but no matter where it is on that spectrum, it should be extremely obvious it isn't purple.

Making it blue (ie. pretty close to purple) is incredibly dangerous and would almost surely result in some deaths on the road.

Using the correct brake fluid (either DOT 5 silicone or non DOT 5 silicone) is such a critically important concern for automobile safety, they regulate it so there can be absolutely no confusion as to what fluid you are using. It is either purple, or not purple. If it isn't purple is can be anywhere from clear to light amber in color, but no matter where it is on that spectrum, it should be extremely obvious it isn't purple.

Making it blue (ie. pretty close to purple) is incredibly dangerous and would almost surely result in some deaths on the road.
Thanks for the explanation.

Silly me, I was under the impression that reading the label and knowing what you are buying is the key to avoid using the wrong product. I am in favor of colored brake fluids as I do find it easier to differentiate the new and the old during brake flush, especially on a none daily driver vehicle. Just my opinion.

Back