Colonite 845 on White WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Sunday I did the full treatment wash, clay bar and wax on the SWP WRX. Took about 6 hours.

I use and still love the Wax as You Wash - Eagle One soap. This stuff is just so gentle it's hard to go wrong, yet it really loosens and lifts gunk off. I didn't really dry the car, just went at it with Griot's Clay and Chemical Guys Clay Luber. The only let down is there were some tiny red/yellow specks the clay would not lift. This fall I will do an iron removal step. Everyone says a dark car shows everything, I don't think these would be very visible at all in dark paint and would gloss over with wax. On a white car you can see iron particles - and dirt shows plenty! But I got a decent amount of stuff off with the clay.

Next I applied the 845 using my Griot 6" DA and a red Griot pad. OOPS - too much - way easy to over apply with a machine. It was a warm day and the Colonite finally smoothed out and turned to a healthy liquid in the bottle, but what a cheaparse bottle (!), the cap doesn't even cinch up tight (argh). Anyway other than too much product at first the machine worked great. Well on most flat surfaces it was great, but not really useful for all the tight small areas. I applied in those areas with a Chemical Guys red hand pad. Still used too much!
grin2.gif
Waiting for one area to dry I moved on. Buffing out with my softest loftiest microfiber towels.

The car really took on a new shine. So far the car has no swirl or other odd reflective marks. There are one or two rock divots in the plastic trim, but the paint didn't chip. I am not complaining about my Subaru paint - it seems at least on par with the Volvo, Honda and Toyota paint in my recent experience.

Colonite 845 is a pretty good product, and one week later the car still seems just waxed. I am pleased how easy the oops wax on black trim was removed. I just don't think I will buy it again - not sure I'm a liquid wax fan. This fall I will use a paste wax product after an iron out type product.

If it stops raining today, I will wash the car and snap some new pics.

Mix/shake the Collie up then pour it into a new squeeze bottle, think old school ketchup bottle. Works great.

White paint is notorious difficult to achieve that wet/high-gloss look on. For my car (Alpine White), I have learned to live with that and just rely on waxing/sealants more for the protection than the look.

The key with white is removing all of the contaminants. Pablo..good idea doing a Decon step in the future. Ironx is great for white paint. The other key is to do a good paint correction as that will maximize gloss. On my previous white car I used a glaze like poorboys white diamond before my LSP. Really amped the gloss. Prima amigo is another good choice.

White cars can look good. Real good. They may lack some depth but they can really shine.

Looks great and it will protect well! I've started experimenting with carpro products and I have to say I'm impressed. Im not ready to coat yet but have used reload on a few white and light colored cars. It definitely gave them some wetness. You should see how water behaves as well. Might be worth a try for you in the future.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Collinite 845 is a pretty good product, and one week later the car still seems just waxed. I am pleased how easy the oops wax on black trim was removed. I just don't think I will buy it again - not sure I'm a liquid wax fan. This fall I will use a paste wax product after an iron out type product.

Their 476 paste is even better than (longer lasting) the 845 liquid, just a little harder to get off, but nothing you'd mind too much with a machine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Their 476 paste is even better than (longer lasting) the 845 liquid, just a little harder to get off, but nothing you'd mind too much with a machine.
wink.gif

I hear good things about #476.

But I've got 2.5 tins of Collinite #915 paste wax right now. This stuff is AMAZING. I love #845, but I honestly think #915 is twice is good because the shine/gloss is that much better and the durability as well.

After about 3-4 washings, the #915 really levels out...and so your car becomes even better looking.

Nice car Pablo. I tried various sealants over the last 10+ years and am now a long-term user of Finiah Kare 1000P. Applied to clean (freahly polished) paint, with a second coat added a few days or more later (properly applied- thin and with light pressure), it gives a clear-coat type look and lasts six months for us, through the Northeastern winter.

Phishin - You will be unique if you find that 915 lasts longer on your cars than 476/885 or 845. Very unique. I haven't heard of any carnauba that lasts longer than a decent sealant such as 476/885 and 845.

Originally Posted By: STSinNYC
Nice car Pablo. I tried various sealants over the last 10+ years and am now a long-term user of Finiah Kare 1000P. Applied to clean (freahly polished) paint, with a second coat added a few days or more later (properly applied- thin and with light pressure), it gives a clear-coat type look and lasts six months for us, through the Northeastern winter.

Phishin - You will be unique if you find that 915 lasts longer on your cars than 476/885 or 845. Very unique. I haven't heard of any carnauba that lasts longer than a decent sealant such as 476/885 and 845.

Actually quite a few people report better life with the 915. The 476 is good enough. Paste wax is easier than liquid to use with a machine in my opinion. The rumor is that Collinite Fleetwax is the same stuff as the 476 only cheaper.

I don't know which people report better longevity but it's been my experience that 915 is at best the equal to 476S in longevity but only under the best scenarios. I usually saw a couple months before the beading was compromised during hot weather, not completely gone but you can tell certain areas like the hood and roof wouldn't bead quite as well, especially on darker cars. On the east coast though you'd get through pretty much the entire winter.

I will say 915 falls at least a few weeks shorter in terms of durability to 476S. The reason I use it is easier application and removal and better looks. I usually wax once a month so the slightly shorter durability isn't a concern for me and I like better looks and easier application and removal.

As for by machine liquid is still easier. Paste can be easy, it's just that you need a card to scrape wax out of the tin unless you can tip the wax block out. But paste generally will outlast liquid if applied properly, paste needs to be worked in, ideally by machine, whereas liquid you can just spread it and let dry.

You've all brought my curiosity to a boil.

I'm getting a tin of 915. I need to compare it to the 845 for myself. Probably on the next pre-winter waxing of one of our outside vehicles. I'll use our P-C buffer if need be.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
You've all brought my curiosity to a boil.

I'm getting a tin of 915. I need to compare it to the 845 for myself. Probably on the next pre-winter waxing of one of our outside vehicles. I'll use our P-C buffer if need be.

I was barely getting more than a month (IIRC) on the horizontal sections with 915. The sides were still going strong after 2+ months.

Everyone has a different standard of performance, but from what I've seen, most sealants last between 3-6 months. For some reason, the Collinite just did not last for me.

Generally speaking, if you are looking for strong dirt-repelling and hydrophobic properties that last longer than a few months, you're going to need a paint coating (i.e. Opti-Coat or CQuartz UK).

TheCritic:-

Have you tried Meguiars M16? How does it compare to Colonite product?

Given that my heirs probably won't care about an unopened can of M16, I may think about doing a trade with you on it if you had never tried it.

I have tried M16. I'd compare it to Mother's California Gold pure wax paste, not the cleaner wax paste. The M16 though does have more of a darkening effect and is definitely a nice beauty wax but as has been my experience like most Meguiar's old school waxes like Gold Class durability was definitely lacking, seems Meguiars has had a habit of trading good looks for ultimate durability. Collinite 915 looks fantastic and actually lasts a reasonable amount of time on your paint.

Pablo I think it looks very very nice. The reflections for white are well above the norm and it is well protected for a long time forward. WELL DONE.

Next time you know not to use as much product and have learned from the experience. What more could you ask for? You now have some experience with the Griot's machine, realize your errors, corrected them, and your car looks awesome!

Could one ask for more?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Pablo I think it looks very very nice. The reflections for white are well above the norm and it is well protected for a long time forward. WELL DONE.

Next time you know not to use as much product and have learned from the experience. What more could you ask for? You now have some experience with the Griot's machine, realize your errors, corrected them, and your car looks awesome!

Could one ask for more?

Exactly. Next week will be two months and the wax is still great. I will agree that worst thing for pure carnauba is hot blistering direct sun - I think the wax is broken down and evaporates.

Now the bad news: I just washed the car and saw the first door ding. Pretty tiny but some fool did that I'm sure. Oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back