Collision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to his insurance carrier last Friday. They now have pictures of my bumper. They called him everyday last week for his statement. They've also called his wife whose name is on the policy.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Should have called police at scene. When people left and called later for an accident report we told them too bad, so sad. So error #2. Error #1 was not removing the cars from the roadway immediately. Cops only need to see the accident scene on fatalities. They don’t care about the scene on property damage fender benders.

Around here, they don't show up unless there are disabled cars blocking a highway or a dead body.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Called his insurance on Mon. Turns out his name isn't on the insurance policy. Was asked a series of questions while being recorded. Evidently they use certain body shops as appraisers who have a look, take photos, then send all to them.

Quote was for about $1750.

On Tues., I received an email from my insurance co., stating "we have received your claim". I never 'filed a claim' nor called them. Evidently HIS/HER ins. co. called mine to file a claim.????? What's up with that?

I explained the other party was clearly at fault: I was stopped in traffic and hit by the other party.

I actually pay the under $100 per year for collision just so I don’t have to deal with above. Good luck with that and lost time in your life.

When he finally admitted fault, his insurance cut me a check. Rather than get a Chinese tail-light assmbly, I picked an OEM Hella one from a junkyard for $5 or so. Did a bit of sheetmetal work with Trav's guidance so I'm legal once again.

Turns out the black scoring on my rear bumper wasn't due to the paint being removed but due to his own bumper melting onto mine due to friction. I removed it all with a plastic scraper and slippery water.

When he finally admitted fault, his insurance cut me a check. Rather than get a Chinese tail-light assmbly, I picked an OEM Hella one from a junkyard for $5 or so. Did a bit of sheetmetal work with Trav's guidance so I'm legal once again.

Turns out the black scoring on my rear bumper wasn't due to the paint being removed but due to his own bumper melting onto mine due to friction. I removed it all with a plastic scraper and slippery water.

Glad it is finished.

Can we get a side picture (no plates) of your pride-and-glory-survivor-original-owner car?

Evidently my tkt was due to be punched. First rear-end for the sled. I was stationary in traffic jam. Guy nailed me in rear pass. back corner, taking out the tall, vertical light cluster, scuffing up the bumper, bending the corner metal, and causing a mild inward bend in the rear quarter panel.

No one was hurt. Happened at maybe 30mph. He stopped & apologized. Has USAA insurance so we exchanged details. No police called...yet.

He suggested we move and I replied NO until all information was exchanged (and I'd cooled down). Geesh.....what a day. I hate surrounding Austin traffic...it's just insane.

Amazing how much damage was done to the front of his Honda though...must just be empty space in the front, driver, corner. He was able to drive.

Need some advice on how best to deal with insurance claim. Given the sled's age & mileage, they may argue. I also want a 4 wheel alignment included.

The sled has now endured three accidents, the second being the worse by far. All caused by someone else hitting me. The last two when I was at a dead stop! Not bad for 20yrs of driving the same car, but still...it's The Sled. She's served me well and still does.

Suggestions? Advice? Recommendations?

I hope she's not totaled.

FWIW, when her S60 was rear ended ~5 years ago, they had no choice but to use actual Volvo parts because of there being no aftermarket support. The car itself was fine, but the bumper and trim needed replaced. Oh well, the trim on the rear was rather sun faded anyways.

Last edited:

Sorry I missed this.

So the body is okay then? Could you post pics?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Should have called police at scene. When people left and called later for an accident report we told them too bad, so sad. So error #2. Error #1 was not removing the cars from the roadway immediately. Cops only need to see the accident scene on fatalities. They don’t care about the scene on property damage fender benders.

I agree about calling the police and them come out.

Luckily OP was not injured.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
So the body is okay then? Could you post pics?
It wasn't totaled. Body still has some sheet metal damage. I worked enough of the dent out to allow installation of the lower tail light assembly. I'll deal with the rest when time allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back