Coldest start temp for your motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pops told me that in the early 70's he once rode hist CB750 all winter to work when he blew the engine in his Camaro. No windshield, just really bundled up.

I once rode my bike around 120 miles in temperatures from -3°C (27°F) to 0°C (32°F). I had no heated kit, just as many layers as I could get under my riding gear. At some points I took to riding one-handed whilst I put my other hand inside the fairing (near the engine) to warm it up. Easier with the left hand than the right!

At 70 mph, the wind-chill gave an effective -13°C (9°F) or so. It was what we call "nippy".

I will be buying the best cold weather gear ever made...it's called an Elio...eliomotors.com

Last year I rode my 99 yamaha yz 250 through the snow in the yard in about -20F. I never did put ice stud tires on it, but I might some time. It stated and ran just fine. A lot of people forget to richen the fuel mixture, which is probably why many carbed engines run bad in the cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Grampi....save your money....just take the Buick!

Whose Buick would that be? I don't own a Buick....

Originally Posted By: Trav
In Germany i use to ride all winter up to about 19999-2000, i liked it.
The bikes i had over the years for around town and winter were smaller and lighter, the FJ600 was a good little all rounder as is the CB Seven Fifty, both use carburetors and are air cooled.

These are little bikes with skinny tires that can be thrown around easily and very easy to ride but with about 75 HP they had enough power to get going if they had to.
Temps down to about 20f and up to 2" of slush were okay. 10w30 oil, they they start right up, just let it warm up a little bit and no problems with the machine only from from the complaining neighbors.

No electric anything but good Held Arctic thermal Goretex gloves, Frey Daytona Goretex boots, Rukka outlast Goretex jacket and pants with Rukka thermal underwear did the job just fine, never cold.
Shoei full face with fog shield on the inside of the visor and Rukka thermal neck and chest piece completed my winter outfit.

You will not ride a HD with leather and a salad bowl helmet and goggles in the winter. LOL

A couple seasons ago I rode til mid November,so roughly this time of the year.
I found as long as my hands,feet and head were warm I was fine but if any of those parts got frozen the rest of me froze too.
I ended up buying a heated undercoat and heated gloves and I can truly say I loved riding in the cold.
I shut er down cause I dumped my harley hitting a patch of frozen road and the surface was gravel.
No leather chaps because I was working but I did have my op insulated overalls and 2 layers under that.
I shredded the coveralls and when I finally stopped I was down to my long johns. Since then never again. I love riding my Harley. I love it so much I wanna do it again next season.
Besides my charger spoiled me with its heated seats. Every vehicle I've acquired since the charger has them.
But to answer the question I am pretty sure the morning temps were -20c,as were the evening temps heading home.
The key is wind and blocking it. My leathers are completely wind proof so I don't lose and heat from convection. Layers too are a must.
Sweat prevention is also important. Staying warm when dry is far easier than trying to warm up when even slightly damp.

Around 27 Fahrenheit is my limit. Seems to be a good temp to purchase bikes (3 so far at this temp) Nobody else is buying when it's cold. Rode one home about 2 hours but it warmed to about 40 by the time I got home.

As long as you dress for it, it's not so bad.

Originally Posted By: RatBikeRandy
Around 27 Fahrenheit is my limit. Seems to be a good temp to purchase bikes (3 so far at this temp) Nobody else is buying when it's cold. Rode one home about 2 hours but it warmed to about 40 by the time I got home.

Who in their right mind would sell a bike this time of year? I thought it was common knowledge that selling a bike in the spring brings in the most money...

I don't know if it defines a persons state of mind, but someone who needs cash more then a bike they won't ride anymore. Or lost interest and could use cash for the holidays, or even rent. Or they found the "perfect bike', and doesn't want to wait for spring to unload it.,,

Originally Posted By: grampi

Who in their right mind would sell a bike this time of year?...

I don't know, maybe the wife of a man that fell and broke his hip(got a '04 Goldwing with 8200 miles for $5250 last week).

ROD

With a fairing, biking in the winter wouldn't be to bad, about the same as snowmobiling I guess. Years ago I rolled my sled about 15 miles from home and lost the windshield, then it was a bit chilly getting back... My mitts and neck warmer weren't up to -40C windchill.

Who in their right mind would sell a bike this time of year? I thought it was common knowledge that selling a bike in the spring brings in the most money...

Dealers want to deal this time of year. I bought my bike in October of 2012, and they were pretty quick to come down on the price and throw in some extra accessories.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Dealers want to deal this time of year. I bought my bike in October of 2012, and they were pretty quick to come down on the price and throw in some extra accessories.

Well of course they do...most people don't buy bikes this time of year...as a private seller, I would never sell this time of year unless it was absolutely necessary, and since a motorcycle is basically a play toy for me, I would never be in that situation...

As posted...winter, good time to buy...bad time to sell. CL is full of bikes for sale, most were probably posted when the weather was nice. Most sellers are probably ready to deal now.

^^^And actual motorcycle dealers have a fulltime business no matter what time of the year it is. You can get some screaming end of the year deals right now.

27 degrees this morning. Rolled the Wing out and rode into work. Not bad with heaters turned on.
smile.gif

As much as I hate riding in the cold, black ice, or just ice in general would be enough to keep my bike in the garage when temps are below freezing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back