Cold atf level check with Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Service manual for Sienna says to check atf when engine is running, after it has gotten up to operating temps (this obviously would be the hot marks on the atf dipstick). Now when I'm checking for the cold level, should I still start the car, & push the trans through all the gears and then back to Park? Or does the cold level mean, checking when van is level, but with engine off?

I want to try a cold check, because I am pretty sure I overfilled when I drained it today; last hot check after my ATF drain & fill today was unclear—the atf from the full mark on up, extended several inches up the dipstick above the hot mark. I know I didn't overfill it that much! My Sienna oil dipstick is very hard to read in the same way—when checking hot, there is just oodles of oil that climb up the dipstick so I have to check the oil level cold.

It's always difficult for me to check fluid level after filling because it seems to cling to the dipstick tube. Warm it up today and check it tomorrow. If they want the engine running "cold" means without the engine and transmission up to operating temperature but with it running. Just start it up and cycle it through to drive and back to park, then check the level.

If that's the case, then I think I'll try one more time this evening, after several hours of the engine not running; if it still isn't clear, then I'll check it early tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
It's always difficult for me to check fluid level after filling because it seems to cling to the dipstick tube. Warm it up today and check it tomorrow. If they want the engine running "cold" means without the engine and transmission up to operating temperature but with it running. Just start it up and cycle it through to drive and back to park, then check the level.

I have found with my toyotas, it works best to wait overnight. I run into the same situation as you. The fluid runs way up the dipstick when I check it right after filling and heating the ATF up.

I think you will get a more accurate reading with the ATF hot.

Great, that method worked. I was able to get a very accurate cold reading, and found it was still low, so I drained out 13 ounces and then again was able to see that it was just a tad higher than the high mark, so I'll leave that be.

Gebo, I'm not going to argue with the manual. I'm really not. Its just that with the Sienna dipstick, taking accurate fluid levels is an exercise in frustration. As soon as I read here of someone doing a cold pull on the oil dipstick, first pull is the reading, it was like the clouds parted, rays of light shone through and the angels sang. Well not that good, but you get the idea....

Originally Posted by JamesBond

FWIW, I measured the distance between the cold marks and hot marks, and then, giving 13 ounces to the distance that the fluid level fell down this evening, it appears that the distance between the upper cold, and lower hot mark, is ROUGHLY 55 ounces--around 2 quarts. Certainly the distance between the upper cold and hot marks, or between the lower cold and hot marks, would be a good 2 quarts. For anyone who wants to know how many ounces this distance is, for future reference.

Cold and not running you should be about Quarter of an inch to a third of an inch above the hot full mark before you start it if you're sitting level. I always check mine by the manual procedure and then later check it when it's cold before I start it. Most all Toyota's I've owned been about a quarter inch above the full hot mark.

My Tacoma has no dipstick so I have to check the level warm. I drain cold add the same amount then put it through the temp check mode.

I learned that lesson last week when I did another drain & fill. Drained it hot (just like I do with oil changes), but I didn't realize how much atf expands when hot, and then I poured in a bit less, but still managed to overfill. Oh well, live and learn....

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I drain cold add the same amount....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back