Coincedence or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What's the HTHS on the RP 5w-30? I'm guessing it is probably below 3.5cP and the oil is thinner than what is spec'd by BMW. The car likely calls for an LL-01 approved lubricant.

I'm pretty sure the HTHS is going to be below 3.5 but the car is out of warranty so I'm not too worried about that. It just seems that the RP 5w30 HPS is just thick enough in this application.

I wouldn't take the gamble personally, but to each their own
smile.gif

That's the way the older BMW stuff was. My M5 has a traditional dipstick and a level sensor that indicates when you are a quart low. This was also the case on our 328i.

Now this is ideal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FetchFar

You are experienced and wise about that fact. I sometimes can't believe BMW would put that oil level indicator (tells what level, not just when low)

That's the way the older BMW stuff was. My M5 has a traditional dipstick and a level sensor that indicates when you are a quart low. This was also the case on our 328i.

Your BMW M5 is an '01 model, mine is the N52 '07 BMW 530ix. No dipstick starting about 2006 I think, at least for the N52 sixes. New BMWs, Audis, and Porsches have no dipstick.

Originally Posted By: deven
What's the HTHS on the RP 5w-30? I'm guessing it is probably below 3.5cP and the oil is thinner than what is spec'd by BMW. The car likely calls for an LL-01 approved lubricant.

I'm pretty sure the HTHS is going to be below 3.5 but the car is out of warranty so I'm not too worried about that. It just seems that the RP 5w30 HPS is just thick enough in this application.

I wouldn't take the gamble personally, but to each their own
smile.gif

Now I'm having doubts...maybe I'll just use RP 5w40 next since that's what I put in my car. This will make it convenient. I just got caught up on the added ZDDP that the HPS line gave me.

You are experienced and wise about that fact. I sometimes can't believe BMW would put that oil level indicator (tells what level, not just when low)

Your BMW M5 is an '01 model, mine is the N52 '07 BMW 530ix. No dipstick starting about 2006 I think, at least for the N52 sixes. New BMWs, Audis, and Porsches have no dipstick.

Yup, that's why I said that's the way the older stuff was
smile.gif
A good friend of mine has a newer 325 IIRC and it doesn't have a dipstick, just the oil level sensor.

How obtrusive is the warning light.. ? I know the TPMS light gets no respect...! Is there a no start default past a certain level, or lack there of...? ' Cause there should be...

It will give you a yellow warning message on the dash display if it gets 1 quart low, and a red warning for 2 quarts or more low. I don't know if it would disable start at the red alert level. .... The TPMS warning does get a little annoying in cold weather, so most people just put in a tad extra air to keep it from going off after an overnight cold soak. Nagging gets results.

Oil level sensor really is kind of slick, as you can just wait for it to give you a yellow warning, 1 quart low. Out of a 7 quart sump thats not much, so you can still drive it around plenty until you can get a quart.... Also nice since it actually measures the quality condition of the oil, using electrical characteristics it actively tests for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back