Coffee Intolerance

First let me know if this belongs in the medical sub-forum or allergy/food intolerance sub-forum.

Took me a few weeks to figure it out but I have developed a severe intolerance to coffee itself. It is something in the brewed coffee, one of the extracted chemicals, and NOT caffeine. I had to eliminate many things from my diet and then slowly reintroduce things, one at a time.

It started one day when I just blew my rear main seal. Then the next day, Then the next. NOT normal. So as soon as I stopped coffee, no problem that day, the next couple days. I thought it was my low cost beans in my mix, so..............Have a cup of my best coffee and wham, same explosive problem.

Crap.

I am doing just fine with black and green tea. I searched on the issue and yes this happens to some people. Mostly there is an assumption the problem is caffeine, but this is not the case.

But...........for now, no coffee. I just don't know any way out of this back to my precious coffee.

Could try a different brew. A more natural one that's targeted towards sensitivity and one that comes unpackaged and unground as the packaged and pre ground coffee especially the instant type have a lot of crap in them that's no good to some bodies.

But a more natural light roast with little to no added anything may not be a bad thing. I'd experiment. Grocery stores like heb let me pour in unground coffee from dispensers to a quantity i want and pay for it so if i wanted i could try one once a day and see if anything does harm.

It started one day when I just blew my rear main seal. Then the next day, Then the next. NOT normal. So as soon as I stopped coffee, no problem that day, the next couple days. I thought it was my low cost beans in my mix, so..............Have a cup of my best coffee and wham, same explosive problem.

Crap.
Shouldn't this be in the humor section? If not, isn't coffee a form of laxative? Beans and all.

Try weaker 1 cup(10-12oz) limit , medium or medium dark roast, after food even if its just toast.

Could try a different brew. A more natural one that's targeted towards sensitivity and one that comes unpackaged and unground as the packaged and pre ground coffee especially the instant type have a lot of crap in them that's no good to some bodies.

But a more natural light roast with little to no added anything may not be a bad thing. I'd experiment. Grocery stores like heb let me pour in unground coffee from dispensers to a quantity i want and pay for it so if i wanted i could try one once a day and see if anything does harm.
What exactly do you think is in ground packaged regular coffee (not talking flavored or instant)?

Your intolerance could be a reaction to a mycotoxin, aflatoxin, fungal spores, etc. All these compounds are commonly found in coffee to a highly variable degree. You may have gotten sensitized to a compound by ingesting a large quantity. Maybe it wasn't the coffee that caused your intolerance. What did you eat prior to blowing the seal? Did you nibble nuts full of aflatoxins?

Last edited:
Decafe coffee is processed with bromide…might want to try organic which uses the Swiss method to remove the caffeine.

Regular coffee is one of the most chemically treated foods in the world. It is steeped in synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides.

The good news is there was not much cramping or contractions.

This may - I hope- answer the above questions.

Yes at first I suspected my Brazil whole bean blend was funky (some organic beans, some not), so I changed to my totally different organic whole bean coffee blend, and the decaf beans are organic and Swiss water processed only. Same issue. I suppose I could suspect my burr grinder which I have used for all my beans.

No nuts. No other food brought back the issue, only coffee.

I only do pour over with nearly sterile equipment.

IF I try again, it will be much less, yes 8-10 oz, see what happens. My cup is pretty huge, like near 15 oz.

What a coincidence....I quit coffee about a week ago after hearing some guy on a program I was listening to say he had to quit drinking coffee because the acid in it was giving him problems. It caused acid reflux and burning when I went to the bathroom.

0EF738BE-E520-4E76-93E9-CDCFDBEB0460.jpeg

Me seal was ok but consuming too much coffee (5 or 6 espresso in less than 10 hrs) on nearly empty stomach gave me horrible bloating, stomach pain and complete indigestion following night. Long story short, I’m stopping coffee in any form for who knows how long…bummer indeed, but totally my fault. One thing I’ve noticed is my sleep got even better (compared to being AF for a few months now)

What exactly do you think is in ground packaged regular coffee (not talking flavored or instant)?
unground coffee tends to be the one that's least processed elsewhere and more "raw" but ground coffee can be fine. Grinding the coffee can make it loose its flavor faster and sealing it in a tin might not be enough so some things may be added to increase shelf life. The manufacturer can see how quickly it takes for it to be sold and see if its worth putting it in. Grinding the coffee also makes it go bad faster as mold can grow a lot more easily which I've seen since more of the inside is exposed as opposed to being sealed inside the bean. I remember seeing some ingredients other than coffee in the ground coffee I used to buy but i don't even bother checking anymore. As long as it tastes good i don't care much. Until it becomes a problem i don't really check ingredient information other than sugar and such.

Last week I tried a weak cup. Made sure it was a stay at home day. No issue.

Repeated, no problem.

This week back on my normal previous brew no problems at at all. In fact perfect.

I am starting to think now I had some bug, and the coffee just pushed my gut to the really not happy mode. Or just more strange shet about turn 64.

Could have been some gut bacteria in your stomach that just wasn't getting along with coffee.

Just give it time to allow your stomach to recover. Taking some probiotics to restore proper gut bacteria might help.

Back